CRATE ENGINES FOR SAS LATEMODELS

SALM31

Jason, It started out as a joke, now you want to start crap, so here you go.

He built 5 cars and is trying to save money? I could care less, but when you go talking about changing rules in a SLM class to a crate, I will speak my opinion. You can take them crate engines and throw them off of the bridge down there in CC for all I care. If that is what you would have to run to race, I would quit. Now you get my point? I think people who want them are too lazy to build their own or dont know how. Money is a poor excuse. Have a great day, merry xmas, happy new year.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question GASMAN I run a crate motor in our racetruck, does that make me lazy? Todd Mclemore (spelling) runs a crate motor in his truck does that make him lazy? Just because we would rather spend $3000 to $3200 on a sealed motor and get the same if not more hp for less money that makes us lazy. Yeah we've had some problems but that happens with everything new and when the kinks are worked out which looks like Jon has gotten fixed these will be damn good motors. Here's a question for you what if someone offered a 600 hp sealed super latemodel engine for 8,500. and your paying lets say 15,000 for a 570hp to 600hp slm motor what are you gonna go for? Less money for more power isnt that what everyone has always wanted?

Josh Freeman

ARTS #42

Driver

Are they Super Late Models? If someone offered me a 600 HP crate engine whatever the cost, I dont want it. It does not matter anymore, the SLM rules did not change, so I dont have time to argue again until next years rule change time. I will be happy for another year. Have fun in your crate model peekups.

Awe, come on y'all. Play nice. Jason, you should use those cleaning chemicals only in a well ventilated area! Isn't this a great country where you can run a crate motor if you want or build your own if you have the time, skills and clean room. God bless AMERICA. Merry Christmas, Happy new Years, pass the egg nog.

Amen SVCMNGR1. Josh42, I think the crate motors are perfect for the truck series, but gasman is talking about SLMs. The SLM class is there for those who choose to either buy or use their own wisdom to build top level race cars.

Josh I think that the crate motors are alot better than the 305 that the trucks run.But the trucks also have the same problems that I posted .Where do you have to take the engine, to Tyler to have it rebuilt or Dallas and i don't care where it goes you still are paying shop and labor time, you might have bought a cheap engine but the expenses that it takes to rebuild any engine is the same when it comes to labor.You pay $3100 for the motor how much did it cost ya'll to rebuild it a couple of grand now you have $5000 in a stock rod, cast crank,cast piston engine not real bad but you still have $5000 in a stock engine. There is a place for crate engines in racing but not in SLM and if you really sit down and look at whats going on there really not that good of a deal.

Isnt this post getting a little off topic... This was about letting crate motorerd cars run at SAS not in ROMCO or anyone else for that matter. Its getting kinda pathetic hearing the same B.S. from the same people. Gasman we know you will never under any circumstance run a crate motor and is totally against the concept in your series. Personally I believe that folks need to run what they can afford also but not everyone has to spend as heavily as your team does. Bad or good teams like yours make other teams broke trying to catch up. Is there something wrong with that maybe not becasue the other teams chose to run with you... I guess I kinda relate this to the exploding players salaries in pro sports where one guy spent lots of money for a few players so now the rest of the teams feel obligated to have to spend more... I.E. New York Yankees - Florida Marlins.... Keep in mind that this post was oiginally about letting the cars who prefer to spend less the opprotunity to run at SAS not to run ROMCO. In regards to Jason I think that you need to calm down a little bit because your starting push some buttons that dont need to be pushed. We all know for the most part Gasman's views but you have a habit of pushing things a little too far. Just relax bro Rome Wasn't Built In A Day.

:) The point gasman is trying to make a lot of the competitive edge comes from experience and knowledge,not just cubic dollars.I know people that bought used tires and parts from others and beat them with their used parts.Some of the higher dollar parts is not just a performance advantage,but also a durability issue.How much is the average engine cost at SAS for the late models? For what I see you could pretty well have a ROMCO cable engine.I am not against the crate engine as long as it would be competitive and would last,however I do like a racecar to sound like a racecar,not another street stock.

Kathy, nah I'm in a great mood. I just don't like it when someone tries to explain to me what I am doing when I already know what I'm doing. I know I'm pushing buttons. I don't even think SLM's with crates were mentioned in this thread until someone had to post a comment that basically put down people trying new methods (crates). I just don't like it when people put down others when they are trying something new that does not affect that person. Thank you Marc for reminding me what I am doing. I will be happy to let you know how I feel next time you have some crazy idea.

Jason

Gasman I wasnt trying to put you down.... Compared to the other teams in ROMCO you arn't exactly penny pinching either. I guess it doesnt matter to you that Mr Sepich is trying to increase the car count in the very class that you sponsored last year... Does that mean that you think you were wasting your money or are trying to burn both ends of the rope? If it were me and I was sponsoring a class I would be estatic that the management was tring to do whatever it took to increase the car count not put them or their drivers down for what they chose to race. BTW what does it matter how much I spend I spent my fair share last year to do what I love. I would love to race a car someday but Im not blessed with owning a business that can support that type of spending. I do well enough to make it to the races I goto. Jason, good to see your relaxed and I hope you have that N/A Pina Colada in your hand. Kathy can I have some of them cookies...

gasman..AKA JP Gotbucks, you and I have butted head on the economics of racing before as well. You seem to think everybody has the unlimited resources that you have, otherwise they're lazy? WHAT? Gimme a break!

I raced for 3 1/2 yrs in Indiana, we scrimped and saved every penny we could just to keep up with guys like you. We busted our butts to keep the car on the track week to week, and you want to call me lazy for trying to spend less. I(as others) take that as a direct insult!! :angry: I'd love to get back into racing again, but my finances preclude that from happening. Care to pad my palm with some of the bucks your coffers seem to be overflowing with?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you help out with SAS Late Models, your ROMCO team and whatever. But DON'T rub my(or others) noses in it!

Man what a tough crowd. Cabin fever setting in?Someone should build on of these cars and test it to see how fast and how long these crate engine could last. From what I remember when SAS went NASCAR and the late modes started running the 10"slick tires a few of the front running cars tried running some reworked stock steel and nodular(sp) crankshafts and had big problems with the cranks breaking just in front of the #6 rod and just behind the third main cap after about four to six races. The way the cranks broke were really smooth and spiraled(sp).After much discussion it was determened the failures were attributed to the weight of the cars and the width of the tires.Changeing to the billet crankshafts seemed to stop these problems. This makes me think a crate engine would not work with the current weight /tire combination being used at SAS. whats the difference between building one good engine and breaking four or five crates . Does this logic work for anyone else? Pacecar can you help with some input?But everyone please feel free to express your opinion.

You guys really crack me up. I guess you have unlimited resources if you dont run a crate engine. I guess there are whole lot of rich people out there now. And Jim, you are so right, whats the difference in one good or three or four crates? People who race understand that. The same people who buy into the crate engine deal probably bought into the Body Solutions deal. LOL

Once again Gasman;

You crack me up. People with little or no money want the people with money and sponsors to step down a level to be able to compete. Compete in the series you can afford. Don't penalize the ones who can afford to race in the series that they can afford. Can't be a NASCAR or BUSCH driver if you can't afford it. But they don't lower the standards so every Tom, Dick and Harry can race. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

:) Merry Christmas to everyone,Jason don't be discouraged by statements that are made here I know you are looking at ways to increase the weekly car count from an average of 13.5 average cars a week to what would be a nice count of 24 cars a week and bless the 13.5 average cars that worked their fanny off week after week to support this class and hope everyone has a even better year next year.

Pacecar...

Nothing!

The answer is in your repsonse to the first question.. What is greater than God? Nothing is greater than God.

Another version of the riddle goes:

What's greater than God, more evil than the Devil, the poor have it, the rich need it, and if you eat it, you'll die?

Nick Holt

Archived