CRATE ENGINES FOR SAS LATEMODELS

SALM31

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gasman, Glad I could amuse you. Guess I should take the answer as a NO? LOL

Y'all can spin this all you like, but my reply wasn't about the quality of teams, drivers, or even crate motors for that matter, but HAVES and HAVE NOTS.

The Street Stock(lowest class at the track, BTW) I drove had an old Chevy truck 350 w/a four bolt main held together by JB Weld, why, because we were lazy I guess! NOT, All that could be afforded. We got smoked constantly by guys with better, more expensive motors that dropped DOWN from Late Models after the track dropped the class, instead of moving up to Super Modifieds.

Discounting flats, we bought one new tire and three decent take-offs at the start of the year. Guess were just lazy again. NOT, All that could be afforded.

Every Winter we traveled three hours to the racing auction in Indy, to buy USED shocks, front suspension and other parts. Damn were we ever lazy! NOT!

Hopefully this will help some of you understand why this sticks in my craw. Maybe crate motors are junk, maybe they just weren't "tuned" properly, who knows, but thumbing ones nose at people trying to spend less and still be able to race/be competitive, just burns my butt.

The one thing that stands out is the steel crankshaft .I dont know any front running SAS or ROMCO late model car that does not run a billit crankshaft.and what is a pm rod ? The Crankshaft is a major dollar part and is puchaced for reliability,if the crank fails then most of the time the engine is junk.The reason that the higher dollar crank is needed is because of the weight of the car and the width of the tire reducing one or bothof these components will allow the use of a nodular or standard forged crankshaft.If the crate enginerule is implemented with the current weight and tire rule it will cost the races a bunch of money.Even rich guys dont like to spend more money for the same parts over and over.

Jim,

I believe the "PM" describes the technology that produced the connecting rod. Described below:

Powder Metallurgy (PM)

The main limitation to increasing the alloy content of highly alloyed, ingot cast materials like high-speed steels is their tendency to segregate during the slow cooling. Powder metallurgical (PM) techniques atomize molten steel into tiny droplets that cool so rapidly that internal segregation is prevented. Steels produced by compaction of these particles have a far more uniform microstructure, which provides numerous advantages over equivalent conventional grades. Many PM high- speed steels, stainless steels and nickel-based alloys are commercially available and, in the future, this technique promises to make possible new generations of highly alloyed steels. PM techniques enable the superalloy industry to produce more highly alloyed compositions for critical parts, such as gas turbine components

Hope this helps, Tom

Yea and Fe70Zr30 after mechanical alloying.

The powder metallurgy laboratory is equipped for processing and general characterization of powder materials. Mechanical alloying is used to process a variety of materials including nanocrystalline materials, intermetallic compounds, metal-intermetallic composites, and magnetic materials. The laboratory is equipped with an inert gas glovebox for handling the powders; three SPEX 800 mills for producing powders in quantities of several grams; and a megaport mill for producing powders in quatities of several pounds. A benchtop microhardness tester and a differential thermal analysis system with capabilities to 1600 C are available for characterizing the powder materials.

Current research projects include the study of grain growth in nanocrystalline copper and copper alloys using an in-situ X-ray diffraction technique, study of the high temperature structural stability of nanophase Cu-Nb-Cr and Cu-Fe-Zr alloys for high-temperature, high conductivity applications and characterization of nanocrystalline SmCo5, Cu-Fe and Cu-ZrO2 magnetic materials.

When your paying 5-6000k for a Top running ARTS engine, your not just paying for the parts going into them, but for the 4-5 years of R&D put into the engines. It has taken a lot of teams lots of years to put together the current packages that they have now. Cylinder heads, piston designs, cam timing, carb tuning, distributor timing, exhaust systems, water pumps, all of that stuff has been tried and tested over the last 5-7 years the series has been in existance.

Chase-

Actually, in a nutshell, PM makes for a more consistent, and therefore better, product.

You remember the old Chevy "Pink" rods? That was the rod a lot of people ran years ago, due to rules. I performed a variety of tests on those rods, several sets of them, and found them to be terribly inconsistent in their manufacture. I X-Rayed them, performed Rockwell Hardness, Ultrasonic test, among others, and found them to be all over the scale in their density and grain structure. But that was also the technology of the time.

PM is a more current process, and as Gasman stated, being developed and expanded to a broader area of the steel market.

What you will have with a "PM" rod is a lot more consistency in it's manufacture, and that should mean a more reliable part.

After checking into the deal with crates in the Sunoco series, here is what I found out. Most people in the series are running the 9 to 1 engines. Everyone played follow the leader and bought the engines from builders who consistantly ran up front. This created a high demand for a few engine builders and the prices went sky high. Now some guys are building a concept for about $10,000 that has the same or more HP as many of the high end 9 to 1's. However, if you run concept, you are not awarded any points. In an attempt to get more racers on the track, Sunoco has come up with this crate engine option. Sunoco has required these two guys that supply the engines to post surety bonds that the crates performance will not exceed the 9 to 1's.

Thats the story.

Archived