CRATE ENGINES FOR SAS LATEMODELS

SALM31

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26 CRATE ENGINES

Only San Antonio Speedway APPROVED crate engines will be eligible to compete beginning in 2004. A separate Technical Bulletin will be issued containing all details and specifications. Please contact San Antonio Speedway for further details.

I pasted this from the rules on the website........

This is the latest addition to the rules for the website. It seems that two versions were sent and the most updated did not get posted. I will repost the rules later today (will say updated 12/16/03) next to the link for the Late Model Rules once this has been taken care of. Sorry for the error.

26 CRATE ENGINES

Beginning in 2004, you have the option to use 400 hp. crate motors, produced by Dodge, Ford, and GM. Only San Antonio Speedway APPROVED crate engines will be eligible to compete. A separate Technical Bulletin will be issued containing all details and specifications. Please contact San Antonio Speedway for further details.

I did R&D with a chevy circle track motor for trucks the later part of the season-you get one, make sure the thermostat is not upside down-check the valve springs-they had 60 pounds of pressure instead of what the specs said -the seats came out of my heads in #1 and #8-melted 2 pistons-got less than 100 laps on it before it broke-spent over $700 fixing it and it broke with 5 laps to go in the last feature in houston nov 1st-about 4 grand for about 200 laps of practice and racing-I call it the "DE Mexico Special"-it's stamped on everything-my opinion is they are a glorified piece of S- - T. GM markets the hell out of em-guess they dont have to be good-And I'm not the only one who broke one either .I saw this post and had to vent about it-I'm still pissed over it:ph34r:

Well I can tell you for a fact that that might of had something to do with the valve springs and guides but that didnt cause the 2 burned pistons. But you would figure that if someone was building a race motor that they would at least but double springed valve springs in and not single springed. I know that i was turning it about 6400 to 6500 in houston at the end of the straightaway and that didnt hurt the motor. I think the fact that the radiator got knocked into the fan and there was no sign of that it leaked all the water out of the motor contributed to the motor problem in houston. The two burned pistons came from trying to lower the torque rating in the motor and put smaller jets in it and that in caused the motor to starve for fuel and burned up the motor. After that we have been running 78 and 80 jets to make sure there is enough fuel flowing in it. I think that when we get all the bugs worked out of it it will be a bad ass motor to have in the truck series, its just getting the kinks worked out. But I know we learned this year that we will have enough bullets ready next year that we wont miss a race because of a blown motor unless all of them are goners.

Josh Freeman

Driver ARTS 42

Josh 42,

I have had a lot of experience with the 350 chevy circle track motor. We built 5 cars for the Houston Late Model series and I currently have more laps on a crate motor in Texas than anyone running 18 features and countless test laps.

We got or first motor in December of 2002. This was for the original Texas Late Model Series. I did all my homework and started testing. Here is what you are not doing to like. We tested the 500 cfm race carb. and IT DID NOT WORK. What happened: head failure and we never went over 5900 rpm's. I quickly learned my lesson on don't try to re-invent the wheel. It clearly says on the motor and in the engine literature what carb. to run. The 500 cfm caused excessive exhaust temp. We know this because of three reason: Bob Cross at GM (the main man on this motor) said so, We measued it, it ruined my header wrap.

We went to the Holly 650 as GM said to do and all was good. No problems.

Texas Late Models joined the Houston Late Models in the summer of 2003 and we had to switch to their 650 box stock Demon Economy Carb. Cars never ran the same loosing throttle response and 19 HP. Never got them to work right.

I currently recieved my 410 Chevy Crate Motor for the ASA Late Model program and we plan to test in early Jan. At this point if Bob Cross (GM top man) said to put peanut butter in the crank case and set the timing to -52 degress that is what I would do.

You really need to look at the 650 cfm on the 350HP motor. Dino testing proved this to be best and also showed the motor quit pulling at around 5300 rmp so no need to twist it.

Call me if you want to talk about it.

Kirby Caldwell 409-781-4653

kc-thanks for the info-i've always thought running the 4412/ 2 barrell was part of the problem-since the gm crate was designed and tested will the 4 barrell and gives you the part # of what carb to run-1st time we raced it the temp in the floorboard got to 279 on a temp gun-blistered my heels-it acts like when you get to the 1/2 way point in a race(25-30 laps)-it starts building up heat and starts to lean out-and fry pistons-i've also had header wrap catch on fire too-hopefully we can get these motors figured out and have a reliable race motor.we are going to start 2004 with the crate and have 2 backups just in case-hopefully we will only need 1 during the season.

KC11

If you built 5 cars for Houston Doesn't sound like you saved a lot of money racing.since you race for a trophy. The other point that i would like to make is you said that it was know need to turn these motors well if you went to your local engine builder that has a good reputation and bought an engine and never turned it over 6000 you would be in the same shape for less money.So how much money does GM put into your local race program and how many people are there from GM for tech. support or supports your local track? When you break a motor where do you send it, to have it fixed and how much in freight or time does it cost you to do that ,how much is the repair bill or do you have to buy another engine?When you get the engine back was it the motor on the dyno that made the most power or did that engine go to there buddys ?The crate engines that i've been into are stock rods,cast pistons,cast cranks stock timing chains,and thin wall cylinder heads and mass production built what a deal.

Mom's coming over in like an hour so I'm cleaning..lol

Nah seems this guy likes to make fun of others for trying to save money. Or is he just cocky? Wow I never realized Texas had so many huge egos in racing! No wonder we can't get shit done and work together.

Archived