It's Going on Up

ProTree

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your solution? For the American oil companies to sell oil at fifty bucks a barrel so we can continue to drive SUVs and pickups and race V8s while the world price of oil is over a hundred bucks a barrel? I have a feeling their stockholders would throw them out the door within a week, and replace them with someone who had actually been to business school.

Oil companies are making record profits simply because the refineries are at capacity, the Arabs (OPEC) are planning to cut back on production to keep the price up, and the demand from India and China is increasing while the demand in the U. S. also stays high. Don't get on OPEC's case. They are acting perfectly rationally from their viewpoint.

As someone has said, they have nothing but oil and sand, and there ain't no market for sand. Once it's gone, they're done, so they should be trying to make as much money on it as they can.

While the left wingers have screamed for years the "the government" should make the American car makers build more fuel efficient cars, they weren't willing to call for higher gas taxes to raise prices and give Americans a reason to buy cars that are just a little more fuel efficient.

Some politicians did. Both Ronald Reagan and John Anderson wanted higher gas taxes, but Congress wasn't (and isn't) likely to look for any solution that would cause the voters any inconvenience.

Some of us are old enough to remember the long gas lines in 1973, and wondering if you'd be able to buy gas at any price. The average fuel economy then was 13 miles per gallon. If it had been 17 mpg, we wouldn't have had an "oil crisis" at all.

Yes, some people really need a big, V8-engined truck or SUV. But they aren't the ones causing the problem. It's the soccer moms using a Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban to take the kids to school and buy groceries...

Americans have no inherent "right" to low fuel prices. It's all just supply and demand, and if someone else is willing to pay more for it, you won't have it.

... It's the soccer moms using a Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban to take the kids to school and buy groceries...

And the people that leave their engines running for several minutes so they can have A/C or talk on the cell phone while one of them goes into the Stop 'n Rob, the grocery store, etc. ...

you use more fuel on start up than you do on idle for 2 minutes.

in the past two months we must have all found ways to save..........they say fuel usage in the states has cut dramaticaly. i guess opec eXXon and chavez had to raise prices to cover the loss.

i did see a 'working' oil rig in west,tx. last night,,,,,,,,5,500 more and we are set to sail?

you use more fuel on start up than you do on idle for 2 minutes.

I disagree - 15-20 seconds ECM-controlled operation at start-up, going from "high-idle" (1000 RPM, maybe 1100?) down to normal idle (600 RPM) , uses less fuel that idling at 600 RPM for 2 minutes. You have maybe 5 second @ 1000 or 1100RPM, then idling down to 600 over the next few seconds. For the normal gas-burning engine, 20 seconds is enough to build oil pressure, then you are good to go (a diesel would need a little more, esp. in cold weather). Not straight onto the 70 MPH interstate, I agree, but good enough to pullout of the driveway and get going.

But I'm not talking about just two minutes of idling. I'm talking about 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or more. I was out in my truck at lunch one day, and the guy parked next to me walks out, starts his car, and sits there talking on his cell phone for 20 minutes before going back inside. His car battery wouldn't even notice 20 minutes of cell phone current draw, but how much gas did he just absolutely waste? Now, multiply that by the number of people doing the same, and look how much is being wasted.

i stand corrected,,,,,their are NOT other things to worry about in life than how other people live theirs.

i will hug a tree for you tomorrow. j/k.

maybe they should ban racen ... we burn alot of fuel .hauling our cars ..pit crews fans all driveing thier own cars .... figure out how much fuel we burn weekly just chasing parts dang i need a clamp .......oops gotta go back for brake fluid ....nah now i need cotter pin.s ... .driveing to the shop .driveing back home ...beer runs ... leaving that diesel truck idleing ... generators ..and so on ...aint just soccer mom's

i stand corrected,,,,,their are NOT other things to worry about in life than how other people live theirs.

i will hug a tree for you tomorrow. j/k.

now that made me chuckle....You know I went to the gas station the other day and asked them how long it would take to get some diesel if I ordered it today.and they actually had some in stock! no wait no shortage or any thing....then they said they could get as much as they wanted whenever they wanted....now I'm confused about how this supply and demand thing works.

For those of you who haven't had the oppurtunity to drive anywhere in the Middle East, it would make you sick to your stomach to see what they pay per gallon. :angry:

Everytime I have been there it averages about .25 cents a gallon. Talk about making you sick!!!

Tim

hell we may have to kick the bums off the corner ... mine will say will work for gas ..has anyone noticed that morons running for president talk aboult insurance . getting out of the war ..lowering taxes ..and not one stinking one of them have even mentioned i want to lower gas prices ..the need to go after big oil ..to stop all this rip off . the first one that stands up and goes after this problem will and can do something will get my vote and i dont care who they are . i know pipe dream ..they recieve thier money from big oil ..

WASHINGTON — The House approved $18 billion in new taxes on the largest oil companies today as Democrats cited record oil prices and rising gasoline costs in a time of economic troubles.

The money collected over 10 years would provide tax breaks for wind, solar and other alternative energy sources and for energy conservation. The legislation, approved 236-182, would cost the five largest oil companies an average of $1.8 billion a year over that period, according an analysis by the Ways and Means Committee. Those companies earned $123 billion last year.

Senate Democratic leaders said they would put the bill on a fast track and try to avoid a Republican filibuster. The White House said the bill unfairly takes aim at the oil industry. President Bush is expected to veto the legislation if it passes Congress.

Crude oil prices have topped and pump prices are more than $3 per gallon, with indications that $4 is not out of the picture as the summer driving season approaches.

During debate, Rep Jim McDermott, D-Wash., urged lawmakers to "stop the madness of subsidizing oil companies" when the industry earned $123 billion last year.

"Gas prices have been soaring," added Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass. He said many people are "struggling to pay energy costs that have skyrocketed in a harsh winter."

Republicans contended the tax proposals would cut investment in oil and gas development and lead to even higher prices. "This bill singles out one industry," complained Rep. Kevin Brady, R-Texas.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., noted that the House twice last year passed similar tax plans, but they did not pass the Senate. Since then, the price of gasoline has climbed and large oil companies have made record profits. She said the bill will spur clean energy production with tax incentives for those industries.

Pelosi's office distributed a state-by-state list of high gasoline prices compared with oil industry profits, including a record $40.6 billion in earnings by ExxonMobil Corp. last year.

The bill would roll back two lucrative tax breaks for the largest U.S. oil companies. The money would go for tax incentives to support wind, solar and biofuel industries as well as energy efficiency programs.

Pelosi said shifting tax benefits from oil to alternative energy development was critical to increased energy independence and lowering energy costs.

The White House says singling out the oil companies for higher taxes "would reduce the nation's energy security rather than improve it" and "lead to higher energy costs to U.S. consumers and business."

Senior advisers would urge Bush to veto the bill should it pass Congress, the White House said in a statement before the House vote.

The oil industry has calling it a "discriminatory bill" that unfairly targets companies that already pay more taxes than U.S. manufacturers.

"New taxes ... will even further reduce our energy security by discouraging new domestic oil and natural gas production and refinery capacity expansions," the American Petroleum Institute said in a statement.

The bill would direct more than $8 billion to bolster investment in wind, solar, biomass and geothermal energy development, extending many of the tax credits for these industries that have recently ended or are scheduled to expire at year's end.

It also would provide tax breaks for certain energy conservation programs, including a $300 credit for people making their homes more energy efficient. Nearly $2 billion would go toward establishing energy conservation bonds for environmentally beneficial community programs.

"These incentives must be extended immediately to void significant harm to the development of clean energy industries in the United States," according to a letter to lawmakers from more than 100 businesses, electric utilities, environmental groups and energy efficiency advocates.

A similar tax proposal passed the House last summer, but was abandoned in the Senate where Republicans overwhelmingly opposed it. Bush at the time promised he would veto the measure.

The bill targets a tax break that Congress provided in 2005 to help domestic manufacturers. It also would limit the amount of tax credits the largest U.S. oil companies could claim under that law. The bill would restrict the tax break for oil companies in connection with foreign oil and gas extraction.

The oil companies would have to pay an additional $17.65 billion in federal taxes over 10 years under the proposed changes, according to an analysis by the House Ways and Means Committee.

Democrats hoped that the recent jump in oil prices and gasoline costs at the pump would help with the prospects in the Senate.

Boy aren't we going to be in a pinch... think about the perfect storm...

We can't grow corn, or other grains because farm land keeps getting turned into sub-divisions....

All the old refineries are old and decrepid because Big oil didn't invest in the future, and new Facilities...

Whats the birth rate in the US.. Americans will go hungry with the current rate/Family size...

Scientist's continue mess with nature's process of natural selections, Humans are their worst enemies...

Shoot we go so far as trashing up Outer Space!!

Clinton & Ob are the least of our worries... Go Green.. (GREED!!)

Why do think we are in a economic delima? F%^&% GAS PRICE'S! plain and simple. It does NOT have to be as high as it is. WE are getting ripped off, and we all know it...kinda like my electricity and gas at my house,,,Sept the gas bill goes up, elect down, March elect goes up gas goes down. Still use the same amount every month. 100.00+ gas bill's during the winter, 15.00 in the summer. PLEASE!

... It's the soccer moms using a Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban to take the kids to school and buy groceries...

And the people that leave their engines running for several minutes so they can have A/C or talk on the cell phone while one of them goes into the Stop 'n Rob, the grocery store, etc. ...

I'm wondering why some need a 6 mpg semi or a 7 mpg 2-ton to get those short track cars to the local track. Guess a 3/4 ton and an open trailer aint cool enough.

Archived