fans race poll

WMI

If you had a track in the area,which type of race would you prefer, or would make you go more often.

1- less classes with more laps...i.e roadrunner 40 laps / sportsman 40 laps /late model 75-100laps

2- more classes less- laps like currently at thr

3- #1 with special event

4-#2 with special event

5- special event only- like busch east, asa,hooters or such.

part B

Realisticly how often did you visit sas

A-weekly

B-twice a month

C- once a month

D- special events only

To make the answers easy to read for everyone interested it should read with just a single number and a single letter on the first line. then feel free to add any comments you want....we'll start it with an example

1 b

This may not be what you are wanting to read, but my personal view is stop trying to drag the night out at the races. Practices and hot laps sessions should be done during the days activities between when the gates open and the track is closed for clean up and for drivers meetings. If the races are scheduled to start at 7:00 P.M. then do your parade of aid and "special" introductions prior to the 7:00P.M. start time. Then do the "Heat" races for each class, Grands, Thunders, Street Stocks, if you have a "special" event for the evening such as TSRS or Pro Sedans, Legacys, Dwarfs have them qualify prior to the 7:00 P.M. start time. Then after the "Heats", you have a short intermission (30 min. max) Then start the feature races, if you feel the need to shuffle the line up around for the night that's fine, but let's get to racing as soon as we can, people came to see some action, not a bunch of "hot laps or practices". Mains should start around 9:00 P.M. get your features in (allowing for whatever may happen thru the evening, accidents, blown parts etc.) Finish up the program possibly by 11:00-11:30 P.M. allowing the fans time to come down to the pits and see their favorite cars and drivers. We should not be starting Mains at 9:45-10:00 P.M. I know that more cars means more $$$ but it is possible to overload an evening of racing, if you are "filling" in time. As I stated earlier, these are my own observations, as a fan, crew member & driver. The few folks that I spoke to after the Friday night "Stock Car Spectacular" all said the same thing, that it was too long and not enough racing action. This bothered me in particular, because I had a few family members and friends make the trip from San Antonio, some for the first time to THR and unfortunately not very impressed with the nights activities (aside from the fact my car wouldn't start for the fearture) I asked them to come on out for the remainder of the season, if they can, to see a "regular" night of racing, whatever that may be. This is our track, Let's make it work. Lenny66 B)

I agree. I think it is a bit confusing at times. You should have a definate time as to when the races start. Not a lot of fans come out at 4:00 when the gates open, but if they come at 7 then they have possibly missed some feature races. Why do we have races before opening ceremonies. I thought opening ceremonies were the celebration to get the nights races started. If you look at the schedule for this week heat races start at 6 and opening ceremonies are at 7 with 2 feature races before that. It needs to be stated what time the races (heat or features) start. I know some people like to watch qualifying but I find it boring. Let the fans know what time qualifying will start and then what time the actuall racing starts. Just my opinion as a fan, crew member and driver's wife.

I would race once a month maybe twice on the couple of good months we have but it would be advertised a Hugh Big Races in each of the classes. There would be entry fees that would go towards enhancing the purse and class sponsors that would help as well. No registration fees so cars from anywhere could come an have no extra expense. On each race weekend practice would be available the day prior to each of these big races. Charge a min. fee for the practice days to help pay for the overhead and an easy way to generate extra income. Get practice night as big as possible free BAR BQ or a concert something to get people there that night as they will most likely return the following night for the racing. No point average crap, all cars draw from a bucket period giving everyone an equal chance. I like racing every week but not at the same place it gets boring after a while. I think tracks could be better prepared and have alot more help in every aspect of running a track. Get people to the point where they are adding your racedates on their calendar and lloking forward to it every month. Hell you could end each night with a demo derby and fireworks if its once a month!

Since none of the choices appeal to me let me throw this in.

I would like to see tracks limited to about three classes and the number of laps for features to be determined by car counts. Nothing worse than watching 6 cars run a 40 lap feature. Let the drivers decide the race lengths and also determine how often they should run. With todays expenses, twice a month seems appropriate but I know of several tracks in the northeast that run weekly.

To add variety to the shows, occasionally run a "special" featuring a class that is not normally ran at the track. Such as: TPS, or Trucks, or TSRS, or the Pro Modifieds.

Lengthy lap races should be restricted to specials such as holiday events or season finales. I personally do not like to watch a 75 lap feature of any class when they are counting yellow laps simply because experience has shown that they usually run as high as half of the laps under yellow. So like the World of Outlaws does in both Sprints and Late Models, run 40 lap features for special shows but do not count yellows.

I enjoy racing of any sort but running too many classes sometimes makes for a late night and many familys do not like keeping their children out late. So design something that will have the fans home by 11PM even if it is a Friday or Saturday. :)

1A--- Up untill this year I worked as a photographer for many a series and Track around the State. The best thing you can do is take what works well at all the tracks as a whole. Less classes mean shorter nights for the fans and their kids. It HAS to be a family friendly enviroment. You HAVE to keep the fans attention. If you run alot of classes then look at how STS runs their show they usually run what 6 classes but they run them effectively. Another track to look at is Cowtown up in the DFW area I never had the luck to go there but if you read enough dirt forums that track is bound to come up as one of the best run facilities just like STS. There is no magic formula but I will leave with this... Last year 15 Car SLM race...3/4 stands full... Night of Distruction with no real racing (except buses and train races) Monster Trucks and a huge Demo Derby stands COMPLETELY filled... Alot of those fans never knew the track existed... If the fans lose interest or dont feel they are getting thier monies worth they wont come back... Thanks for listening...

Marc Roy

1A - but not too many laps per feature. For a weekly show, 40 laps for Roadrunners is a bit much for my tast. 40 laps for a LM feature might be okay.

Also, not more than 4 classes per night, including any guest classes. And I agree that heat races should start after the national anthem, and the show should be over with as quickly as possible. If there are under 10 cars (or trucks, or whatever) in a class, skip the heats - invert them by qualifying and run feature only. I don't want to see multiple heats that cause an already short field to be shorter in the feature due to attrition.

If you had a track in the area,which type of race would you prefer, or would make you go more often.

1- less classes with more laps...i.e roadrunner 40 laps / sportsman 40 laps /late model 75-100laps

2- more classes less- laps like currently at thr

3- #1 with special event

4-#2 with special event

5- special event only- like busch east, asa,hooters or such.

part B

Realisticly how often did you visit sas

A-weekly

B-twice a month

C- once a month

D- special events only

To make the answers easy to read for everyone interested it should read with just a single number and a single letter on the first line. then feel free to add any comments you want....we'll start it with an example

1 b

I'd race to the real estate office and get rid of it. :lol:

Seriously- 4 a or B

I'd race to the real estate office and get rid of it.

Well then, perhaps you could get that drunken old goat to buy a track. I happen to know where there's one rich with history and heritage. :lol::lol::P;)

Com'on all you "keyboard" promoters, step yourself up to the plate and show us all how it's done. <_<

<_< As far as being a "keyboard " promoter, ain't about that!!! Just expressing a "personal" point to a question that was posted;)

I'd race to the real estate office and get rid of it.

Well then, perhaps you could get that drunken old goat to buy a track. I happen to know where there's one rich with history and heritage. :lol::lol::P;)

Com'on all you "keyboard" promoters, step yourself up to the plate and show us all how it's done. <_<

If certain unnamed people had not scared off everyone I was talking to, I might still have some interest in trying to get backers to do it. The original people who had shown interest are not anymore as a direct -not indirect- direct result of statements and positions taken by certain unnamed persons. And I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to start from scratch and fart around with it anymore. My sons have decided that they want to start hunting and fishing, I took up golf again, my best friend just bought an 88 camaro that he's going to hot rod into a street/strip car, and last but not least my wife is actually enjoying the fact that I am not in meetings or at work 100-120 hrs a week anymore. So tracks are way down my priority list now. If there is one, I'll go watch, but if there's not, well its kinda like the mission Drive-in- So long to something else I enjoyed since my youth.

WMI,

Please pardon me if this seems less than polite, but given recent unfortunate events that have occurred in this region, before I respond I would like to know ............

1. Who are you?

and

2. What is your intent? Why do you want or need this information?

:D Hey Reb, No offense taken. Far be it from me to tell Mary Ann or any other promoter how to run

his / her track. Like I said just an observation as a fan, crew member and driver. I appreciate the opportunity to race at THR, since the closing of SAS. We are running out of local places to play!!! Just don't want to see THR have to close the gates. ;) Lenny66 B)

CC Speedway is an excellent oppourtunity for a company who wasts to have an outdoor sports arena.As a Sat nite only stock car track its too expensive.The tracks in Kansas ans Missouri are carved out of corn fields ( the local ones,not the big ones) so more money goes to the racing,not the operations.

Texas needs more outdoor arenas like the indoor arenas to host not only racing but many other events.Whatever the event is that requires a large seating capasity,lighting,consessions,facilities and a large parking aera would do well at CC Speedway or any other track.The real question is what kinds of entertainment can be benifited at this kind of place.A varity of events and available to lease out like a convention center can make this a very profitable venture.But you MUST think OUTDOOR ARENA.Concerts,carnivals,special shows,even big screen pay per views.Car shows,quad races,live entertainers,pro wrestling,soccor,motorcross,daredevil shows and more.How many other outdoor events car anyone think of?

CC Speedway is an excellent oppourtunity for a company who wasts to have an outdoor sports arena.As a Sat nite only stock car track its too expensive.The tracks in Kansas ans Missouri are carved out of corn fields ( the local ones,not the big ones) so more money goes to the racing,not the operations.

Texas needs more outdoor arenas like the indoor arenas to host not only racing but many other events.Whatever the event is that requires a large seating capasity,lighting,consessions,facilities and a large parking aera would do well at CC Speedway or any other track.The real question is what kinds of entertainment can be benifited at this kind of place.A varity of events and available to lease out like a convention center can make this a very profitable venture.But you MUST think OUTDOOR ARENA.Concerts,carnivals,special shows,even big screen pay per views.Car shows,quad races,live entertainers,pro wrestling,soccor,motorcross,daredevil shows and more.How many other outdoor events car anyone think of?

IVE ALWAYS THOUGHT IF THE TRACK IS IDLE IN OFF SEASON ..THEN ITS NOT MAKING ANY MONEY ... LOCATION HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH OUTDOOR STUFF ..LOOK AT WHERE CC IS OR WHATS NEXT TO IT ..NEED SOMETHING GOING ON YEAR AROUND .. I KNOW SOME POEPLE RENT THE TRACK FOR THE SEASON ..BUT IS THAT LESS THAN A FULL YEAR LEASE .... IF ITS NOT .THEN LEASE IT OUT FOR SPECIAL OCCATIONS ....YOU MAY NOT GET RICH .BUT I WOULD BET IT WOULD MAKE SOME OF THE SEASONS LOST UP ..AND IT CANT HURT THE FAN COUNT FOR THE NEXT SEASON ....

Below in a excerpt from an article about the championship points race at THR.

"The race card at the 3/8-mile track in Kyle begins at 7 p.m. and will be highlighted by the ExpressJet 50, a 50-lap race for the Pro Modifieds. In addition, THR will also host the NASKART go-karts and the Lonestar Allison Legacy Series. The JRA Kids Club will also hold bike races for its members. "

If the fans show up at 7:00 like it says, according to the schedule, they will miss the heat races for all three classes and maybe two feature races. So they will spend $15.00 each to watch 4 races. I think that would be a little upsetting to me if I were to pay that and miss half of the races. I am not a promoter and I am not pretending to know how to run a track, I just think that every effort should be made to give the fans the most for their money. Why not just tell them that the races start at 6:00 or wait until 7:00 to actually start the races as stated. :huh:

Just my opinion!!

I agree - heat races should be part of the regular race schedule - not start before the stated racing time. Having to show up at 5pm-6pm just to be sure you don't miss anything is ridiculous - totally messes up your only day off by having to get there so early.

Archived