Statement concerning J & S Racing Promotions

speed demon 7

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier this season, I took it upon myself to help Graham Baker and HMP with promoting the oval track. As you know, I have done many race car displays around Houston and arranged a few that others did for me. I did this because I felt someone needed to step up and help out and organize it. The cost of doing these displays is far less than the cost of radio, newspaper, and other advertising, but the effectiveness is far greater than the others cost wise. After our first display, J and S Racing Promotions joined with HMP as a marketing partner. I sent a message to them to introduce myself and to coordinate efforts with them to better promote HMP. A few promotions were discussed including one which was to be a large sponsor for HMP, but nothing materialized on the J and S side. I continued to work with Graham and John on the displays for HMP, even though the weather washed quite a few out, we have been very successful with the displays. I also joined their sponsorship program in which I was promised many things, including Gas Cards, parts, and so forth. I personally handed Shelma my first $20 at one of our races. The next $40 was deducted from her for cutting stickers to put on race cars. I displayed their logo large on my hood and on my rear quarters. I was very happy when I received a new set of tires from Graham that Shelma was paying for. In one of the posts, she told everyone that myself and Trey Mitchell had tires whenever we needed them. She also promised me a set of gears for my new rearend and the thing that I asked for that I felt was something that I truly needed but could not afford was a Hans device. She told me she was working on everything for me because of all the work I was doing for HMP. I was also given the title of Director of Marketing for Houston at J and S and given my own e-mail account. Several months went by and I found that Graham had not been paid, my gas cards had been mailed several times, and my check for the vinyl had also been mailed but not received. The past month, I have not posted negative, nor positive comments about J and S. I have been a supporter of their effort, but I waited to see what was going to happen. My biggest concern was that Graham was paid the $400 for my tires. If he is not, I will be forced to pay for them myself. I have put a lot of money into my new car for the Frank Kimmel Enduro next season at Kentucky, buying parts to start building the new chassis. I sent an e-mail to Shelma this week asking that all debt concerning myself be resolved before Friday. I received a message back stating that money would be put into my account. Later that night, I received $30. I left her another e-mail and asked about the tire money, and she stated that it will be taken care of. Thursday, after I posted this message about my statement, I received an e-mail that she would try to send Jennifer to the bank. This was after 7 pm last night. I am assuming that she is going to get Graham’s money into my account so I can pay him this weekend. If the debt were paid, my statement would have been that I would work with them next season to build on what they started as long as I saw financial statements showing the money, where it was going, where it was coming from, and that it was there. But now, I personally think she used myself, Debbie, and Rick to gain your trust and hope things would work out. I do believe they had good intentions, I don’t think anyone would keep up this charade this long. I do not know what happened, but I do know this. I paid in $60, and got nothing. I have e-mails, printed posts, and a contract that state what I was to do, and what I was going to receive. I have fulfilled all of my duties, and have not been given what I was promised. As of right now, I will begin paying Graham Baker for my tires from 3 months ago, I will also consider consulting an attorney with my paperwork showing all my e-mails and posts with her promises. Because of her actions, there are dozens of us, maybe even in the hundreds, that are going to have to figure out how to over come our losses. When you are promised something, or you earn something, even if you have other money, you depend on that money and use what you have towards other stuff. I purchased a vinyl cutting machine with my tire money because I new that my tires were taken care of.

I have met Shelma and James twice. I have spoken to them on the phone dozens of times. I feel embarrassed to have my name on their website as a sponsored driver, but worst of all, as a partner. My involvement as Houston Director of Marketing was a title given to me because of the work I was already doing prior to J and S, and that I will continue to do after J and S. I hope that if anyone joined J and S or even believed in J and S due to anything that I posted will forgive me for misleading you, as I was mislead myself. It was definitely not intentional and will never happen again. Again, I am sorry for praising them and I hope that this is enough of an apology to everyone in the racing community. J and S has given short track racing yet another black eye, but we can all heal and move on. Thank you all for your patience, but I did give Shelma every chance to clear her name with me. If she does make good with me, I will definitely let everyone know.

Arthur Hermiz

777 HMP Pro Stock

281-541-1301

I WAS TOLD LNG AGO WHEN PEOPLE USE "PROMOTIONS" AT THE END OF THERE NAME IT MEANS THEY ARE BROKE, PROMISE YOU THE MOON, HAVE THE GIFT OF GAB, AND ARE LIKE I TORNADO: COME IN BLOWING A LOT OF WIND AND LEAVE EVERY THING IN SHAMBLES.............

[edited out by Nick Holt, 8/31/07]

you get to join the rest of south texas ...sorry for what happend to you ..looks like now nomatter what j'&s does .they are done ..out of here ..no mas ...skeedadle .. get out of dogde ... i heard aboult that tire thing ..sorry that happend to you ... ..

No matter how tempting, how deserved and no matter how true, bashes are not permitted on Texas Speed Zone.

It's easy to jump on someone when they're down, but please refrain from posting bashes directed at James and/or Shlema or J & S Racing Promotions.

Thank you Arthur for keeping your announcement as bash free as you did. Much appreciated.

And thanks TXSZ members for your cooperation on this.

Nick

Where's all those supporters that said we should leave them alone about the Aug 4th checks? Haven't heard a word out of them. Sad, very sad deal. The big question now is CC Speedway. Surely they didn't actually buy the place because it's obvious they have no money. Hopefully the place can regain it's respect and continue on. I still say fill it in with dirt and run it on Friday's.

I know you're just messing with me Chase... But as long as I am the person trying to keep this place bash-free, I will be enforcing the no-bash policy.

Sorry to disappoint, but there are bash sites where you can have at it without anyone standing in your way. Bash all you like over there, but not on here.

Thanks again for your continued cooperation.

Nick

The cost of doing these displays is far less than the cost of radio, newspaper, and other advertising, but the effectiveness is far greater than the others cost wise.

word of mouth advertising is the best form of advertising available. it is cheap and the most effective. if you like something, you usually tell a friend or two. if you dont like something, you will tell everyone you meet. these folks now have bad word of mouth working against them for their actions, so they are fighting an uphill battle if they have any hope of running ccms or anything else they try to do. they have lost the respect and confidence of most all of the racers and fans in texas. sorry to hear you were taken advantage of, it seems like you arent the only one. im sure it wont be long before they leave town and leave a lot of good people with empty promises.

I sure am glad they didn't end up getting their hands on I37. Sorry to all of those who drive at CC, hopefully things will work out for you, but I know that dirt track ain't very much further if thats what it comes to and I pray that it doesn't. Because we all know that we don't need to loose another asphault track in Texas. And lets hope Rick and Debbie pull through with something even better. Sorry CC racers!!!

i'm curious to know what happened with money raised (taken) for "school supplies" ;) at the abrubtly cancelled motorfest?

the 20$ sponsorship thing stunk from the beginning,,,,,,,when i stated that back then people were ready to burn me at the stake. i think someone should file on them........

I had a feeling you post would say that they mislead you and stooped you out of some money just as they did everyone at CC Speedway. I bet they are sitting somewhere in the Islands drinking a way all this money they have crooked people from. I say its time for them to give CC back and erase their names from racing all around. :)

I will also consider consulting an attorney with my paperwork showing all my e-mails and posts with her promises.

Arthur Hermiz

777 HMP Pro Stock

281-541-1301

I'll bet you signed something that releases J&S from all obligation, but if you have the documentation of their promises, try Small Claims Court. $86 filing fee and gas to San Antonio and back (which you can add to your claim). No attorneys involved. If you lose, it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

i'm curious to know what happened with money raised (taken) for "school supplies" ;) at the abrubtly cancelled motorfest?

the 20$ sponsorship thing stunk from the beginning,,,,,,,when i stated that back then people were ready to burn me at the stake. i think someone should file on them........

and I'm still extra crispy....

..you think george washington got in trouble for chopping down the cherry tree .... dont mess with texas drivers ..in all reality maybe things will change ...i know yah will jump me for still being alittle opptimistic ..... aint got nothing else left ...

I kept my mouth shut untill they screwed up but I knew from the first post by J&S that something was very fishy. I think they read in the newspaper that SAS was closing and saw a whole community of people that spend endless amounts of money for their way of life. What a perfect group of people to collect money from. I'm sure we will see these people on the news swindling seniors someday or maybe they will become tv evangelists.

I've tried to stay out of this one, hoping and actually believing that it would all work out in the end. I may have been one of those that suggested holding off and that COULD still wind up being good advice. However, Arthur has a lot of credibility with me and I'll bet with many of you. He walks the walk.

Looks like we are down to 2 paved tracks in the entire state. Fortunately they seem to be doing a lot of the right things and hopefully that will keep them up and running and perhaps even profitable for all concerned.

Archived