USRA Folded?

chiefs13

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ihave only had 2 top 10 finishes in over 25 starts. I wouldnt consider myself a front runner, or well off. And I didnt bitch about the rule changes until it came to the crate motor. If its an ABC body, fine. Different tires, fine. Different fuel, fine. Bodies are still 1500 bucks, 100+ for new tires, gas still 6 bucks a gallon. Get your facts straight.........

Now, can anyone on here tell me who lobbied for traction control in the slm,s?

How about The ABC Body? Sunoco fuel? American racer?

I bet not. So dont start pointing fingers.......

I work during the week to make my car as good as his. So he has more resources than me, so what.

Im not whining cus he has a better shop, more money, more tires.......

Get off the money kick!!! Its not the money. I knew when I bought my car that it costs alot to compete. And thats what I want to do is compete. 500 or 5000 dollars doesnt make a difference to me..... You guys (or gals) that are tring to make Sat. night short track racing like Nascar are the ones messing it up.

First of all, we do try to be competitive and win. I wouldn't bother to field a car if I didn't think it had a chance to win.

2nd we are not well off either, that's why we want to field the best car we can with the money we have. That means patching damaged bodies so we can use the same body longer and not have to buy new, or we can practice on last week's tires. $500 or $5000 dollars does make a lot of difference to me. It's the difference between being able to freshen the engine one extra time during the year, or buying 2 sets of tires at the big races at the end of the year, or being able to travel to Pensicola........

3rd I do know who lobbied for bodies, fuel and tires....no one! The series owners and promoters imposed these rules on all of us because of their own reasons (maybe valid or maybe for their own personal gain). All I know is when you budget and allocate resources to have a competitive car and then someone says your perfectly good body can't be run, or your tire has to be changed, which requires chassis set up changes, different gearing, etc, we just decided to hang it up until all the changes shake out. Unfortunately the shake out caused us to decide to just stay out and go to a more stable series.

I do think that rule changes & price have hurt the SLM. It all started with the ABC body, yes the base package (A) is $1545.00 and all the way up to $2116.00 for package (D) but you also have shipping in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars. Oh and what about decals, grill screens, spoiler supports, window supports, etc. etc. And if you don't have the ability to mount the body your self I herd that people are charging up to $1500.00 to hang one, then you have to reletter. So a body alone is going to cost at least $3000.00 min.

Second thing that hurt the SLM was eliminating the perimeter chassis. I don't have the past rules in front of me but when they took away the left side advantage from them the offsets dominated, all just to pull in out of state cars.

Third thing is the crate motor which I think has a place in SOME forms of racing but not here. They pushed those motors so hard and made them competitive but changed the rules and eliminated them. The biggest thing was to push them so hard knowing that they could not be run for one of the biggest races for the series (TMS).

Fourth is hot pit stops. This is not na$car!! Yes some teams can afford to have the crews and money for tires for that but MOST teams are small and don't have the resources for that kind of racing. And I think that car counts reflect that.

There is probable a few other things that made a difference that I can't think of. And for some teams this probably didn't hurt them but for most at least one of these made a difference. I'm not trying to stir up trouble but rule changes do affect price especially in this class and these changes. JMO.

One thing that I am thankfull for is no rule changes for Mods & Trucks for 2007. Thanks you USRA!! I hope that car counts for those classes from the TEXAS STOCK CAR SPECTACULAR carry over to this year.

Jason Ray

Something else to add to this is respect for each other,I remember seeing them start 30 to 34 cars in a feature,but only 10-13 would finish.I don't remember if the ABC rule came out yet,but it was obvious that the price of the bodies did not matter at all to several of the drivers.Maybe the concept iron head motor was not such a good deal after all with the current aftermarket heads available now days,should they have all gone back to the 390 carb or 500? The USLMA series seems to have a decent count,and from what I have seen on the sites pays less. The tracks do have to be able to support the race as well,other series seem to know what the tracks they run on can support. If a track cannot support a big race,maybe the features should have been shortened for less cost.I know it may be a little late now.

Racedude,

The races you mentioned have been around for a long time. As far as their purses, they will be able to pay these purses, mainly because of where they are located, east of Texas. That means more people, like I posted earlier, that want to sponsor the tracks or single race. Take The Snowball Derby, when you go to Pensacola for that race you would think a Cup race was going own. The city and the county and the people in the business there all are happy this race takes place. I have never seen that kind of cooperation in this area, not even when the Grand Prix was here. I heard nothing but complaints about that event from both city and county officals. My point is you cannot compare what happens over there to the problems here.

Terry Barden

I'm not sure how many of you venture to the East, say Birmingham, Montgomery or even into Georgia. The trend over there is the two-barrel classes just like TSRS. The super late models have pretty much gone by the wayside because of expense. Listneing to you guys sounds exactly the same as listening to the guys on the BIR website. They are all experiencing the same slow death. The crate motor is designed to allow more people to race with less money. The Jeff Hamners of the world, I love him to death though, can be blamed for a lot of this. Buying a motor that will "keep up" for around $35K is what killed the class. If you don't have one, you might as well stay on the trailer. The 2 barrel is just as competitive and most of the fans in the stands do not know the difference. Running an 18.35 or a 20 flat just isn't that noticeable in the stands. As much as I love the SLM's, I am happy to see some changes being made. My suggestion for the folks who own them, de-tune your cars and join or start an offset 2-barrel class. You'd be surprised at how affordable it is. Your motors only have to turn around 6,500 RPM to keep up. 9,500 RPM costs a lot of money. If you get the urge to race in one of the big races, say the Early Bird at BIR or the blizzard at Mobile/Pensacola, you can always insert that big money pit and go play.

PS, I don't know how to navigate this website. I'm not sure what I did, but something doesn't look quite right.

Well Mr. Mirth if you want to know, I had to build a new motor since I (me) screwed up the last one beyond repair. Yep it cost me lots of money. So! Im not upset about it.

Why did you quit the series? "I guess since I cant buy my win like they do I'll just sell out"

I was there the night you said that. Dont start giving me greif.

Im not saying racing isnt expensive, it is.

HRAY I didnt say I dont try to win. Believe me I dont like getting lapped that often. But I have to start somewhere. I know you guys try to. That isnt my point. I know about the rule changes and whose idea they were. Rule changes are apart of racing. However if the rule changes are based on what one (1) person hears from two (2) racers, that isnt right. I didnt mind the body rule only because I needed to replace mine anyway. I dont care much for the crate motor either, but if I can still compete with them with some sort of penalty than OK. But to elliminate a series because of low car counts when the series itself has changed so much to keep up with the North series that no one can keep up than its the series fault not the teams. We have the cars, and the people and the want to. Make the rules reflect what you have and the cars will come.

I maybe wrong about something, and I apologize for it but all the fingerpointing hasnt fixed it.

Promoters, contact us the racers and see what it would take to patch things up.

I cant agree more, Its all about the fun. Anyone in this for the money has got real problems.

I am just seeing so much seperation in the series, all of them. This isnt the way it should be.

The racers are supposed to be the ones competing, not the series or tracks.

so is there going to be an slm league @ our tracks?

good question. Still haven't seen answer even after a dozen threads about it. I'm just curious if the dish guy is going to be able to get the one or two race shot off the ground. After reading all this maybe he came to his senses and decided no dice :unsure:

It is a large can of worms,is'nt it rookie?The fans can understand when a racer(especially their favorite)misses a race do to expensive fixes as in Lovell's case.We get very disenchanted with the racers who we know can make races but sit out do to a political disagreement of some sort.Any way you look at it racers,missing races in order to protest something that did'nt sit well with you,hurts the sport overall.It does not help to solve things.As someone who has sat in the grandstands,at one stretch,for sixteen years without missing an event,I can tell you that car count unfortunatley corresponds directly with fan count.Missing races because a track promotor or series director or even a fellow competator,looked at you wrong or rubbed you the wrong way is just petty.Let me see....spend $30,000 on a race car...complain about a $500 rule change...promotor says like it or leave it,we don't need you anyway...now it's an expensive decoration...this does not make sense...I say forget what the promotor says and go spend only 2% more on my toy.Forget the"it's the thought of it"and go race.Be part of the fix...add to the car count....the fans fill the stands...the sponsors see this and jump on board...the purses and points fund rise....some adds roll onto the cars...etc...

I don't care how many laps down the 61 is now,the fans that read this board but are too afraid to post on here because of how the few that do respond to things(looks like 2,000 plus)are going to cheer for you...keep on racing.

Thanks TD. My son and I appreciate the fans that come to see racing not wrecking. And we appreciate the racers that want to race, clean. Unfortunately my son's dad isn't a money pot, so it takes him a while to get the "good stuff" together when it gets broken. Stop by the 61 pits next time we race, we'd love to meet you in person.

Rookie, Outlaw, and others: I have it on good authority that Doug is near making an announcement. Just hold on a while longer, it'll be worth it.

then let's focus on what we know, SAS/THR are having race dates, TSRS has race dates and the trucks and mods do too. (don't they?) Let the what if's happen how they may, its February, Daytona is not to far away so it's time to crank up the action.

if there are no slm's, oh well, the balance of the racing is plenty good, and if that isn't enuff, there is probably a dirt track that will satisfy our need.

thanks TD. Believe me if I can possibly make a race i'll try my damnedst to get there.

Just a little for instance on what the slm series is like:

I broke a couple of rockers on a thursday night practice at kyle trying to get ready for corpus that saturday. No big deal right?

Called Jesel first thing fri morning. "I dont care what shipping cost, I need them sat delivery". David Machen called some friends in corpus and asked to use their address for UPS. " No problem, we'll wait for it" they said.

Sat morning, drag car to corpus from austin. UPS dropped the ball. The driver didnt feel like going that way on saturday. Since Sat delivery is optional for their driver...he opted not to deliver. So no part. Its now after 1:00 pm, missed first practice. Greg Davidson, Brandon Bendele, Doug Hooks, Thad Felton, Cory Roper, Bradley Reithmeyer, and of coarse Tommy Grimes and others scurried thru their haulers looking for a pair of rockers to help me out. No luck. Doug Hooks " If you feel like thrashing, ive got a spare engine you can borrow. Hate to see ya miss this one". Now that folks is when Im proud to race.

Ive had to ask for help from lots of other racers before due to lack of experiance and almost everytime I get treated 1st class from these guys. I may not get to tell them how much I appreciate it right away, but If you guys read this, "Thanks, for everything"

Cory Lovell

Driver: SLM #61

Cheif cook and bottle washer :D

doug is a good guy , he's helped alotta people out.........he will race you hard , maybe even smack you around a bit , but he will always do what he can to help someone make a race.

I do think that rule changes & price have hurt the SLM. It all started with the ABC body, yes the base package (A) is $1545.00 and all the way up to $2116.00 for package (D) but you also have shipping in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars. Oh and what about decals, grill screens, spoiler supports, window supports, etc. etc. And if you don't have the ability to mount the body your self I herd that people are charging up to $1500.00 to hang one, then you have to reletter. So a body alone is going to cost at least $3000.00 min.

Second thing that hurt the SLM was eliminating the perimeter chassis. I don't have the past rules in front of me but when they took away the left side advantage from them the offsets dominated, all just to pull in out of state cars.

Third thing is the crate motor which I think has a place in SOME forms of racing but not here. They pushed those motors so hard and made them competitive but changed the rules and eliminated them. The biggest thing was to push them so hard knowing that they could not be run for one of the biggest races for the series (TMS).

Fourth is hot pit stops. This is not na$car!! Yes some teams can afford to have the crews and money for tires for that but MOST teams are small and don't have the resources for that kind of racing. And I think that car counts reflect that.lets hope they go by the rules.

There is probable a few other things that made a difference that I can't think of. And for some teams this probably didn't hurt them but for most at least one of these made a difference. I'm not trying to stir up trouble but rule changes do affect price especially in this class and these changes. JMO.

One thing that I am thankfull for is no rule changes for Mods & Trucks for 2007. Thanks you USRA!! I hope that car counts for those classes from the TEXAS STOCK CAR SPECTACULAR carry over to this year.

Jason Ray

lets hope they go by the rules, how they are on paper because thats how you would prepair a new car in the series.

Cory,

Doug is a stand up man all the way back to The Dyer days...

If you ever need an extra set of hands or a spotter you call me.... I'd be glad to step up....

If we ever get the chance to race again I might take ya up on that, thanks

Archived