USRA Folded?

chiefs13

Of course its easier said than done. But it is that simple.

That's why some businesses succeed and some don't. If it was easy me and Jason would have a Track and we would both be bathin' in Champagne. There are only 3 things it takes to make a series or track successful.

1. Money-as in cash flow

2. A product that your market wants

3. A progressive active promoter/manager that gets ahead of the curve and stays there. This can mean cutting costs, increasing payouts, increasing marketing, changing the rules, any number of things. I don't have the answers, but I can guarantee you that I know how to get them.

Sounds easy enough... Give Terry Dickerson a call and make an offer for the SLM series.

Nick

Nick,

I'm not saying that the SLM don't have #3. It could very well be that they don't have #2. I suspect that is a bigger problem than most realize.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well just to let me say this, and I think you will know who I am talking about

1. Yes I talked with SAS for the outlaw RACE

2. I do not own a track and SAS being a 1/2 mile track seemed to me a great place to let the horses run.

3. And yes I am still talking with SAS (San Antonio Speedway) about the SLM race. KEY WORD SAS

4. As I said in early statements I am trying to what is best for RACING(drivers,teams,and we the fans).

So I don't really think Debbie said Doug and USRA are trying to put on a race as much as Doug and SAS

The way I look at it if We secure a race date lets race who the ---- cares about the rest do we want to RACE is the major factor at hand.

Thank You

Doug

Let's see.........if I were a potential big money sponsor and came on this racing board and read all the rumors, innuendo, whining, bitching and other B/S, would I want to sink a bunch of money into it.

THINK ABOUT IT

A message board is a very important tool in communication, but can also be just as destructive as it can be constructive. Of course it's easier to piss and moan, than actually come with a solution(s) to try to turn things around. You can blame Terry, Rick, rules changes, the other tracks not wanting run SLM's, hell you can even blame me for all that it matters, but the simple fact is not enough cars showed up to support the class. Happens all the time.......despite my so-called lack of experience(a mere 37 years around racing), I've watched this same scenerio unfold numerous times before. Now, I'm not placing blame on anyone, racing is expensive, people get burned out on it, families come before racing sometimes. Taking an "I told you so" attitude doesn't help or solve anything either.

Jason, you want a word out of me.......I have four of them......Nick would edit it though.

The sponsor could also ask the racers what they think and you'd have the same thing. This thing of hear no evil, see no evil is rediculous. Its how small problems become VERY BIG PROBLEMS.

And I have 3 words for you.

Mud Packer, Racer Duck,

I have no idea how long either one of you have been in the racing business, and I do mean the business side of it. You both think it is soley the responsability of the series to bring the sponsors to pay the purse, tell that to the tracks like Texas Motor Speedway. The tracks are responsable for going out and getting the naming rights for each of their own races. When Romco and USRA both raced at Texas, the track PR people sold the sponsorship name, not us. While I agree, the series sponsers help with the series, most of the monies they give goes into the point fund. Most sponsors want it that way.

When a series goes to a race track they know what the track can afford to pay them. This is based on what the track thinks it will get off the back gate and front gate. This is the risk the tracks look hard and long at. When ROMCO came to a track, if the track sold a sponsor the race, we called the race what ever they wanted.

Unless you have the resources to have a full time person to sell sponsorship, I can assure you this is the hardest thing a track faces. This has been this way for so many years in this part of the country. For what ever reason local buissenes, unless they are race fans, don't want to talk to you. I know first hand how hard it is after working full time at SAS. I blame alot of it on the media. Not people like Nick, Bruce Mabrito, or Mike Hagg, but the TV, radio and newspapers.

I don't know what the answers are, but I know if we all don't work together to come up with a solution instead of blaming one another, not only is the SLM racing, but the whole racing sport in this area is in alot of trouble.

Just my opinion

Terry

THE LOCAL SEEN STILL HAS THAT BLACK CASKET OVER IT . POEPLE STILL THINK ITS BACK IN THE DAYS .OF FIST FIGHTING DRUNKS .PUNKS AND JUST PLAIN OLD NO GOODS . THAT IS WHAT THEY PERCIEVE . SOME RACERS OF OLD WOULD TAKE SPONSOR MONEY AND GO DRINK ,THEY WOULD NOT SHOW UP WITH THIER CAR .AND I HAVE HAD ALOT OF TURN DOWNS .BECAUSE OF SOME OF THAT .NASCAR IS PROVEN TO BE FAMILY ORIENTED THEY HAVE A LARGER REACH OF COURSE .BUT THEY STARTED JUST LIKE THE REST HAVE .WE THE LOCAL DRIVERS AND TRACKS .HAVE FELLED SOMEWHERE IN GETTING POEPLE OUT TO THE TRACKS. BOTTOM MORE POEPLE AT THE TRACK .MORE HELP FROM THE MEDIA . A BETTER PRODUCT . AND THE SPONSORS MAY LOOK AT US MORE .J MY O

kn1ght,

Yes, actually there is some talk about another race. Shelly Miles from WOAI and I have been exchanging e-mails all week.

I wasn't there when Dan and David drove, but I understand that Dan really made David look bad at the track. And Terry made a comment on camera about a female weather person being the only person who did worse than David.

Shelly is talking about racing David. We'll see what we can do to make it happen.

It's taken some time to build these types of relationships with the media, but we have made progress.

Well just to let me say this, and I think you will know who I am talking about

1. Yes I talked with SAS for the outlaw RACE

2. I do not own a track and SAS being a 1/2 mile track seemed to me a great place to let the horses run.

3. And yes I am still talking with SAS (San Antonio Speedway) about the SLM race. KEY WORD SAS

4. As I said in early statements I am trying to what is best for RACING(drivers,teams,and we the fans).

So I don't really think Debbie said Doug and USRA are trying to put on a race as much as Doug and SAS

The way I look at it if We secure a race date lets race who the ---- cares about the rest do we want to RACE is the major factor at hand.

Thank You

Doug

Seems that beating up the guy thats trying to give you a race may not be the best marketing decision in the world. ;)

kn1ght,

Yes, actually there is some talk about another race. Shelly Miles from WOAI and I have been exchanging e-mails all week.

I wasn't there when Dan and David drove, but I understand that Dan really made David look bad at the track. And Terry made a comment on camera about a female weather person being the only person who did worse than David.

Shelly is talking about racing David. We'll see what we can do to make it happen.

It's taken some time to build these types of relationships with the media, but we have made progress.

I wanto to see the thompson twins in a trophy dash.

Yea the Thompson Twins in a trophy dash would be classic...

LoL

Its sad that when you think about it, only seems like the WOAI folks are the ones that care in our local TV media... I used to not like the sports or news personalities they had but they have grown on me, and I appreciate the fact that they are willing to take the time to work with Deb and Terry on things with the track......

Terry,

Thanks for giving us a look at the business side of running a series. I'm sure it opened a few eyes. Still I feel the onus is on the series to sell itself, not the racers. But the racers have a duty put on as good a show as they are able. For the most part, I think we have (with the notable exception of the 2006 season...) As with any partnership of this type, it requires loyalty on both sides. We (the racers) felt that loyalty with ROMCO, but USRA let us down.

And I agree about the media .. especially in Texas. I started circle track racing with my brother in 1967 in San Antonio and Austin. Back then about all you ever saw in the media about the local racing was the results of the past week's races buried way deep in the sports section .. that is IF the track called it in. I haven't seen any improvement in 40 years .. at least none that was sustained. Even Ricci Ware with all his promotional abilities was unable to make headway in that area, and he had the bully pulpit of being a popular radio station personality. Other areas of the country are riding the wave of stock car racing popularity and reaping the benefits. Texas seems to be concentrated on football and basketball, media-wise anyway (I like them both, but my heart is in racing.)

Deb & Doug,

I am 100% behind the oultaw SLM race and my car will compete. And, from JC's past thread on this subject, it appears at least 15-20 other cars have committed. We're just waiting for when and where. For my team, thanks for what you're doing to revive/restore this class in Texas.

Tq,

As I stated there are very few exceptions to the media statement. But I can tell you I know for a fact how hard, not only Debbie and TD, but other SAS track owners and management have tried to get the media involved, it has not helped. Mike Hagg and I went to lunch a few years ago with the sports editor of the Express News and discussed the problem about getting coverage in the paper. He told me that not enough people in this area were intrested in motor sports to warrant local coverage.

It has been that way since the days of Pan American. Back then there was an article written every Sunday or Monday with a small recap and all the results from Saturdays racing. Where is it now??????

Whenever anyone from the media has been invited to be involved in any event at SAS, when I was involved,

they talked it up a few days before and maybe the Monday afterwards. But not one with the expection of Trey Ware, would ask how could we do it again?

I can begin to count how many letters,e-mails, and phone calls I have made over the years to find out why the media in this area won't cover motor sports, unless some one is killed or injured. I HAVE YET TO AN ANSWER.

Terry Barden

name='rebelracewriter' date='Feb 2 2007, 07:59 AM' post='111622']

Let's see.........if I were a potential big money sponsor and came on this racing board and read all the rumors, innuendo, whining, bitching and other B/S, would I want to sink a bunch of money into it.

jay well said ,as you know i have owned several race cars ,sponsored several car ,promted several big raceses ,as well took over a folding race track and finished the season in the black last year .let me tell you this was the hardest challange i have ever done in my life it was not easy ,if not for the help of ever owner and driver it would not have happend, but i did it for my love of good racing ,with that said if the racers would help promote racing and help promote their track they race at things would be a lot easer for getting sponsor . thanks, johnny kellough finishline restoration ( p.s. their is no such thing as too much adversting)

Sometimes I just don't get how people think? I can't figure out if I should post, keep my mouth shut or just continue banging my head on the keyboard...

with that said if the racers would help promote racing and help promote their track they race at things would be a lot easer for getting sponsor

since when....

Fiesta Texas, Sea World and Dave & Buster don't need me to advertise for them. Neither do Wendy's, Mickey D's or Dairy Queen. Walmart, HEB and Macy's don't need help either....

Lets get one thing perfectly straight.... It's NOT my job or anyone elses on here to do anything for any track, if we choose to do it it is because we love racing(PERIOD) I help out on 2 to 4 cars a year. I volunteer when I can, again because I love racing.... It's not the tracks job to get sponsorship for my truck and it's not mine to get it for the track...

It's all about choices people...

would be nice to see a monthly grudge race between the local news or radio station personalities.........get themselves a little bragging rights for their stations...........what would it cost to advertise with the spurs during the home games.........or what about partnering up with local movie theatres to maybe run some commericals for the track during their previews before the movie starts........no idea if it is even possible, just some ideas.........would love to see sas get more people in the stands and get back to full pits and great racing like back in the good ole days.............

Marc,

Thats what Johnny is talking about. People like you and him go the extra mile for the love of racing. He just feels that if you "can" help your track, you should. The tracks need everyones help and the tracks need to acknowledge the ones that help and understand why others cant. Its a give and take, some understand it some dont. Johnny definately gives 100% to the sport. Sorry but your comparisons were kinda off. And your business would look really good on my car at the big race (March 31st), gonna be an awesome crowd....lol...

Debbie i have an idea.

Have a mayors race. How many local cities/towns are near the racetrack? Give each mayor X amount of free tickets or discounted tickets at the gate when he or she is racing. Have a Mayor Championship series throughout the year, 2 losses and your out. Or maybe a points system, i dont know just an idea but it would get the local cities/towns involved and maybe by doing that would get the local press involved.

J.C

If you think about it, we should have a great crowd for the ASALM race come March. Fans like myself know when there is a good race in town and yes having commercials, the media, radio announcements, flyers, and all the other stuff helps. How much did TIDA and ROMCO promote back then when the fans would fill all the seats. I remember ROMCO would have race parties at Cowboys prior to their events, bet it might have been for the series, sponsors, racers and the fans. Just like the first few Oktober'fast', it drew plenty of racers and many spectators, plus had a good sponsorship for the SLM race. I think a big part of it was who was running the show. Someone who really cared about the sport, the racers, the fans, the whole program. That is another reason why maybe these Blizzard series down in the SE is successful. So I hope we can get someone in charge who can do the same and the driver's will come and so will the fans. If we get the fans out there, so will the possibility of getting some great sponsors for this type of racing. Scheduling is also a big thing, at least for out of towners. Yes we need to take care of our own first, but in order to help it get bigger, we need some out of towners coming in, just like when All Pro and the first few Oktober'fast' were held. I think we have some of our SLM drivers that know some of these out of state racers and will try contacting them. Set a few dates and go to some of these Blizzard races and some USLMA and some in the Midwest during their big events and pass out flyers or something. Wait a minute I'm going way over-board now, who really wants to do this without any kind of return. $$$ :blink:

I don't know what the answers are, but I know if we all don't work together to come up with a solution instead of blaming one another, not only is the SLM racing, but the whole racing sport in this area is in alot of trouble.

I'm just a fan (I've only been going to races for 37 years) - never tried running a track and don't want to. Don't have the up-front money to try something like that, but my hat's off to those who do. My competetive experience was in straight lines, 1/4 or 1/8 mile at a time (driveline maintenance was expensive enough w/out having to worry about crash damage). But, I used to read Stock Car Racing avidly, and Speedway Illustrated once it came along to replace SCR - yeah, I know, someone's going to flame me for reading magazines and not knowing "reality" (go ahead!).

But, one thing I saw consistently mentioned in SCR and SI was how beneficial for promoters Stew Reamer's RPM workshops could be.

Who among the regional track promoters and/or series managers has been to an RPM workshop? Why not?

Archived