RE: 2007 SAS SCHEDULE

MARFAC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rick Day said no rule changes for 07 in the drivers meeting.

That would be a good thing.

Now a question.

If the the rules are written at one level, how long do you have to leave them alone before you can actually back them down a bit. For instance, roller rockers in sportsman allowed in 06 not allowed in 08? 48 lb crank in 06- back up to 50 lb in 08?

Start backing the rules down a bit and save the racer some $

Hell I wish they allowed the roller rockers in RR but they dont.... :( I understand the money situation though with saving us all some money, I just think the roller rockers last longer.. (cost more up front but last longer...) jmo

I do like the fact that no rule changes concidering I started my car with the 06 rules and was worried something would change and I would be screwed but luckily I dont have to worry about that now... :)

They need to change the ride height rule in the RR or let us run spacers to get to the 6" that it is. The racing springs, that you don't have to order, make the cars low. Well they make mine low and that's all I'm concerned about, being the selfish sob that I am.

• 2 weeks later...

Without the nascar sanction, it will be a lot less. With the sanction, the late models had a shot at $25,000 to $30,000 and the sportsman probably $10,000 to $15,000. Wonder what it will be now?

Edit......Taken from Nascars site about the Late Model National Champion "Morris will collect $75,000 for the national title and will join NASCAR's other series champions at the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series Awards Ceremony in New York in December."

I don't know about the other classes but I know the Roadrunners will probably have quite a few more then the other classes. I would guess Sportsman would follow close behind in car count.

It seems as though the RR and Sportsman classes have carried the track over the last few years since the dramatic drop in Latemodel car count. I guess either the latemodel driver just can't afford it or have moved up to TSRS OR SLM. What did go wrong there, they use to be the class to watch because the starting grid would be in turn one and the end still in turn four. That was the days.

I agree Kelly, it would be kewl to see 20+ LMs on a regular basis but honestly I don't see that happening again any time soon. I pray to God that someone proves me wrong, but I think those days have passed for now. The sportsman, ,RRs, & GSs on the other hand are classes to build and possibly one day those drivers could fill the lm ranks down <shrug>

A huge help would be to take the $ that was NASCAR's & put into the point funds and weekly race payout. Do that and I'd be willing to bet there would be even more "support class" cars with a better chance for some of those drivers to move up to LM sometime in the future. I mean seriously, imagine (for example)RRs running for say $750 to win on a regular basis w/ say a $5000 point fund at the end of the season. Could you imagine all of the cars that would be there week in and week out? :D

Of course, the other option is to lower the cost of admission, no licence fee, and cut other non-neccessary costs to the racers. Lower the cost to race and raise the purse and you should see car counts skyrocket.

any way it goes, Im sure TD has a game plan

Without the nascar sanction, it will be a lot less. With the sanction, the late models had a shot at $25,000 to $30,000 and the sportsman probably $10,000 to $15,000. Wonder what it will be now?

Edit......Taken from Nascars site about the Late Model National Champion "Morris will collect $75,000 for the national title and will join NASCAR's other series champions at the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series Awards Ceremony in New York in December."

Hate to tell you this but NO SAS LM racer had a shot at that kind of money unless there was a second NASCAR points track around like the drivers who were in the top 3-5 had. When they changed the point system from the old performance index vs. what they have now , especially considering a driver can earn points at mulitple tracks similar to IMCA, SAS was alone on a little island with no real hope of getting a National Championship or even a Divisional Championship.

I would even be willing to bet that if they were using this system when Brandon Bendele won his Sunbelt titles he wouldnt have those titles either... NASCAR for the most part is more interested in getting more memberships/licences than it was worried about leveling the playing field for all the tracks....

Speedracer,

Your point is well taken, however you have highlighted what the big problem has been all along. There are three tracks within about 200 miles apart that have 3 separate agendas. With all three on the same page, there would be something to race for worth while to justify the few extra bucks. Nascar has a workable and stable set of rules that COULD have been built on by all tracks. There are 50 plus Late Models within this 200 mile area and it would have been feasable to run 2 tracks every weekend. Too bad its too late.

NASCAR has no set rules for its weekly division. A Nascar sanctioned track uses its top class for the divisional and national title... Thats why SAS Lm's were going againts Dirt LM's, Dirt Modifieds, Asphalt Modifieds, Limited Late Models and LM's. About the only thing the same at all the NASCAR tracks in any division is they have a motor, a fuel cell, four tires n wheels, and a roll cage. The rest change from there.

Hate to tell you, but Nascar does have a rule book for its weekly series to go by. It is not mandatory to use it, but why not. It has been in place longer than most series have been around and it will be here when they are long gone. Nascar paid their National champ nearly what the ASA pays the entire 3 series in points fund money from top to bottom. No need in debating dead issues, they are just that. Racing will never get better here. Over and Out good buddy

Its a mute point now anyway, SAS dropped NASCAR for '07..... Like you said we are on an island here at SAS with it being/was the only NASCAR track anyway... The guys up north always did have an advantage with the close proximity of the tracks to one another, but hey this is Texas and we are like the only state it takes a full day to drive across.. LoL

On that note say THR and SAS were both Nascar and ran on different nights that would be another story, but forget that ever happening... :)

I haven't seen any announcement from SAS that they have dropped the NASCAR sanction, have you?

All I saw was Debbie Williams asking people what they thought about the idea.

So, it's not really a moot point - yet...

Nick

I haven't seen any announcement from SAS that they have dropped the NASCAR sanction, have you?

Nick

Nick

]Weren't ypu ;istening at the ASA race when Terry was talking in the winners circle??????????????/

Unless they changed the point system for the drivers and made it more lucrative $ wise for the local tracks I doubt things will revert back...

In regards to 4rd4life comments about NASCAR's LM Stock rules (I looked it up) I made a mistake in saying that NASCAR does not have its own LM rules. With that said those same rules the most of the tracks where they run under said rules are in North Carolina and they are having the same issues as we are here with declining car counts. For instance Martinsville's Taco Bell 300 which are run under those rules used to have triple digit car counts for that race dwindled to 50 something for a $25k to win purse. Sure the rules look good on paper but you have to realize how much it would cost these guys to switch rules once again and then you have to convince the guys at THR and HMP that it would be worth whatever amount it would cost for each car to revert back to those rules. I'll be the first to say I dont know how much of a differance there is between what SAS has now, what THR has now and what HMP has now vs. the Nascar LM Stock rules. Maybe someone with some knoledge can post the differences...

Marc

Archived