Houston Latemodels Sanctioned by ASA

tjbrady

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just walked in and went to the parts department counter and inquired about the chevy crate motor, the guy asked what I was going to put it in. My response was "probably a straight rail with monte carlo skin." He kinda looked puzzled so I told him "Its a race car, I dont have it yet but I am getting the numbers together to build one". His answer was this, " You probably would be better off building your own, these are like the old targetmasters built in Mexico."

Sanford,

You might want to be aware that there are several levels of crate motors; Scoggins-Dickey in Lubbock lists 6 different categories for GM applications alone.

Some of these engines are new builds, like the 604 oval track engine we are all fixing to get familiar with, and others are remanufactured engines which may be similar to the old targetmaster engines of years past.

It may be simply the parts guy you talked to is not familiar with the oval crate motor, as he probably has not seen or sold one yet.

Call and talk to the guys at Scoggins- they speak performance:

Scoggins-Dickey

The ASA Late Models have been around for some time now, they had another name before adopting the ASA name. Bet these people have been through this already, talking about the positives and negatives comments and everything else being said. It seems it's been working for them, and just to let you know there are still several other series that it's not just for crates. Remember there are different types of series and not everyone can race them. Look at NASCAR they changed the original rules to the All Pro Series and it became harder to race in that series because of the expense and other cars weren't able to compete, they messed up that series. That created other series for these types of chassis to race in, at least here in our home state you have several options available.

did not say they were junk, I was just saying the guy did not know about them. Getting a vendor that knows something about them is nice.

You are welcome, Sanford.

You kinda got jumped on due to the lack of knowledge of your parts man.

Most all parts guys at dealerships are very knowledgeable, and can find what you want, but the performance side is an area not all of them deal with.

I think this was the case with the guy you dealt with.

He probably only deals with the street new and rebuilt crate engines, which are not really suitable for racing. Fine for your hauler, not for your rail.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and there are plenty of guys like myself who will help you get the info you want without the B.S.

Tom

Regarding the Crane Cams Ignition Mounting System, ASA released the following earlier this week.

+++++++++++++++

Crane Cams Ignition Mounting Systems now available!

By ASA Late Model Series Staff

Lexington, Michigan (12/30/2005): The ASA Late Model Series is pleased to announce that the Crane Cams Ignition Mounting Systems are now available for purchase for the ASALMS teams. The ASALMS and Crane Cams have partnered up and have made Crane Cams the mandated ignition for all three traveling series within the ASALMS.

"To be able to offer our competitors this program, just reinforces our commitment to provide a level playing field for each and every team." Stated ASALMS Founder/President, Ron Varney, in an earlier press release announcing the partnership with Crane Cams. "We are truly honored to team up with a highly respected company like Crane Cams and we look forward to long term relationship with them.

"Crane Cams is very excited about our relationship with the ASA Late Model Series for the coming season and anticipate a great year." Added Terry Johnson from Crane Cams. "We are pleased to provide the highest quality, best ignition system possible to all the ASALMS competitors in all three Divisions." Johnson added.

Ignition boxes for all sanctioned events are purpose built, incorporating a serialized numbering system and decorated with the Crane Cams and ASALMS logos. The ASALMS/Crane Cams specific system will be installed, in all competitors' cars, during Practice Technical Inspection and removed post event.

The Crane Cams Ignition Mounting system is now available from 2 sources;

A. If you want the Crane Box and Coil already mounted to the mounting plate, contact Crane Cams, Terry Johnson at 386-252-1151 extension #4314 to place your order.

B. If you want just the mounting plate and brackets; contact the ASALMS Office to place your order. The Mounting drawing will be available next week.

These are the Crane Cams ignition part numbers approved for all ASALMS Divisions:

Crane Cams Ignition part# 6000-6463 - ASALMS Competitors only

Crane Cams Coil PS92N, part# 730-0192

Universal wiring diagrams, specifying a weatherpak connector and specific dashboard mounting instructions will be available in the near future.

Crane Cams will continue participation in the ASALMS Participating Manufacturers Program offering

. $100 contingency product certificates to the Winner of each event in all Divisions

. $100 contingency product certificates to the Rookie of the Year in all Divisions

. $250 contingency product certificates to the Divisional Champions

Utilizing over 53 years of experience in development and manufacturing, Crane Cams is committed to giving the best product and support to the ASALMS and their competitors. From the very humble beginnings in 1953, Crane Cams has evolved into a nearly $50 million dollar per year manufacturing and marketing company. Amazingly, it all began in an unused corner of company founder Harvey J. Crane, Jr.'s father's Hallandale, Florida machine shop.

For more information please call their home offices during normal business hours at: 1 (386) 252-1151 and to learn more about Crane Cams, log onto their website at: www.cranecams.com

The next scheduled event for the ASALMS will be the 2005 Awards Banquet to be held at the Quality Hotel and Banquet Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana on Saturday January 14, 2006, beginning with Happy Hour at 5:30pm.

Archived