Houston Latemodels Sanctioned by ASA

tjbrady

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tsrsfan: give the Houston LM folks a break. The ASA Late Model Series 2005 season offered teams over $60,000 in contingency awards for the season that were paid out per event in addition to the purse which pays from $500 to $2500 for the 26 car field. The year end awards banquet will bring an additional $25,000 in contingency awards, a $25,000 points fund and Winner Circle pay of $1000 to $250 per team based on their attendance. The Houston guys are just getting started and have linked up with what is likely the fastest growing sanctioning body in the sport. I’d say congratulations are more than in order.

Looks like a positive move in the right direction, seems like if several tracks are doing the same. They are dropping their weekly super late model classes and replacing them with ASA late model type classes. They are getting more car counts, than the usual 14 late models that show up on a consistent basis. That's why the Snowflake got replaced with these type of cars, because there is a large number of cars, but there is still no way to replace the racing and all that comes with what a super late model brings to the table. JMO

I think that there should be a place in Texas racing for both Super Late Model racing and the ASA Late Model cars. We are going to be participating in the ASA cars in Houston, but I am also one of the biggest fans of the Supers and will continue to be. I think that whatever is good for the Texas racing and our local tracks is "all good".

I was curious as to what the current Houston LM drivers think about this sanctioning. Reading the rules, it appears any of the current HMP cars will have to buy engines to keep up. As well, 2006 will be a transition year, but how many currently run ABC bodies and how hard is it to install/maintain them so they fit the template?

looking for HMP impressions

turbotoddie

todd farris

JP,

That all sounds good, I hope what you are saying is true. It is my understanding that ASA only makes a small contribution to the year end points fund, and the track is still responsible for the race purse. ASA gives its member tracks a sanction, set of rules, and advertising for a fee, just like the San Antonio Nascar sanction. Correct me if I am wrong, however, I dont think this means the track will be racing for a $2500 to win purse. That would be nice though, and the ASA sanction is great progress.

tsrsfan: I sure didn’t mean to imply that the purse and payout structure for the proposed ASA late model class at HMP would mirror or even closely approximate that from the ASA touring series which is an entirely different animal. My guess is that the class and/or track will be largely on it’s own to generate purse monies.

I understand there may be a fly in the ointment. As usuall the powers that be may be being influenced by a few that don't want to. I could be wrong but i hear they will keep the HLM and add another LM class with the bigger motor but i don't know if it would be ASA sanctioned. God i hope this isn't true,hope they look at bigger picture and look to the future and not split car count even more. Just what i hear!

LAC

Just a thought here but didn’t Mr. Turner enter an ASA type crate motor car in the last USRA race? From what I understand the car finished respectably. Presumably USRA will have that combination as an option for `06 and given that a number of the USRA guys already bought that motor for the Snowball (and beyond?) it would seem that HMP may have just hit the nail on the head. By adding a class under the ASA sanction it will give USRA slm guys who opt for the crate engine an additional venue at which to compete. The current 350 hp class remains undisturbed which keeps those guys happy but they can also opt to move “up” and in so doing become completely legal to run USRA events. What if TSRS also added the engine as an option?

I think that jp17 has a great idea. If all of the classes would work together to be able race together and showcase their respective classes in some sort of head-to-head on a realtively routine basis it would be great for everyone involved. The fans could actually get to watch late model racing with more than 5-10 cars going around in circles playing follow the leader. If the fans have fun, the tracks prosper, and we get to race till we are old and grey.

Well, from what i hear now is the HLM will stay the same and if,and i say if there is a call for a highier horse power class it will not be SAS sanctioned. So the more things change the more they just stay the same.

LAC

Archived