South Texas Speedway

Josh42

This past weekend was my first trip to South Texas Speedway and I have to say I was thoroughly pleased with the track for our first visit.  The track was really nice fast and even though it went dry slick it was very racy and not dusty at all.  The races started a little after 7 and we pulled out of the gate to head back home at 11 and we were the next to last feature. We have run races this year in Dallas with 3 classes started at 6:30 and left way after midnight. So I give STS a big thumbs up and hope the schedule the PowerI 600 Series again we will definitely make the trip back.

IMG_2325.JPG

South Texas Speedway has done an outstanding job this year on track prep and moving the show along. If I leave right after the races I'm home before 11PM . Now I know car counts haven't been the best except for sportmods. But I have found out 14 good Pure Stock/Factory Stock(or pick your class) can put on just as good a show as 24 and usually quicker , fewer yellows and a lot less carnage.

29 minutes ago, rebelracewriter said:

Josh, How'd he do in the down-sized car?

We are still learning this car. He was doing pretty good then lost fuel pressure.  It did that in hot laps and we thought we had it fixed since it ran the heat and half the feature fine. Oh well gonna tear the fuel system completely down and clean everything.  

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone remember back in the late 50s a Hudson Hornet red and white with hearts all over. MY Dad used to take me to the races, i was about 5 o 6 years old. That Hudson had a unique sound. you could close your eyes and pick it out of a group of cars. I loved that machine.That was called CC speedway back then.

Edited by hammy

1 hour ago, hammy said:

Does anyone remember back in the late 50s a Hudson Hornet red and white with hearts all over. MY Dad used to take me to the races, i was about 5 o 6 years old. That Hudson had a unique sound. you could close your eyes and pick it out of a group of cars. I loved that machine.That was called CC speedway back then.

I DONT KNOW if its the same car but id bet on it .  I saw it a few times at the old Texaco at Garfield and leopard .we lived just across from snapkas on leopard back then .as a kid I would sit with my brothers outside  in  the yard or upstairs looking out across leopard watching my mom car hop … mom would never take us to the races  but you sure could hear them .it wasn't till 1961 before dad took us out to cc speedway . … now that you brought this up and made me go that far back . ill ask my father inlaw . he use to sneak out to cc with his motor bike his dad didnt know he had ..maybe he will remember that car and possibly knew who owned it …  sometimes old poeple remember little things like that .so ill give him a try .

you got me thinking now .shoot I wont sleep ...willy shoemaker   use to race a hornet back the 50s   he loved red and white cars ….dont know if I am close . but I do know later in years at his house he talked about racing a hornet .cant recall if  he said what colors it was .I know he was the type of person to do something like that the hearts .we had many talks about the old days .his old days I wasn't that old then .lol..

Edited by HiTech

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know why i have an affinity for red and white cars but when we movd from texas to tennessee they opened a half mile dirt track that got paved so nascar would come there. it was called smoky mountain speedway. my first year to see nascar in person was 1965 and David Pearson was driving the Cotton Owens Dodge #6..Geez what a car with that 426 hemi! He was my all time favorite driver. Then of course he went to the Wood brothers in the ....you guessed it red and white #21..