General Rules Question

slidejob

As posted on I-37 speedway website under the "General Rules" heading...I quote Rule #5:

"A car cannot register or compete in more than one class".

I just wonder why this rule did not apply to car 9C...running both PURE STOCK and STREET STOCK.

What is the point in having rules if you only follow them when you want to?

The 9c is ran by 2 different people.  Same family but 2 different people.  It is a legal pure stock.  It is registered under cody for street stock and Catalina in pure stocks.  1 person cannot register the same car in 2 classes.

Maybe instead of crying about the purestock out running you in street stock you should do your homework so your not so slow. Don't know how, give me a call I'm sure you have my number. As Nathan pointed out two different drivers even though its the same car. Car count has been low for the street stocks this season and we would like to get a car to help out. If pures are off in the future we will run the car again.

Let's keep this civil.  He asked a question about the rule that is clearly in the rule book.  I opened it up for the track to respond.  Not bashing or this thread will be gone.  

Racer26, the rule is NOT ambiguous. It states nothing about a DRIVER, it states a **CAR** cannot register or compete in more than one class. The current rule does not allow for an alternate driver to register the car in another class. Again, the wording is quite clear. If I37 is goIng to allow a single car in multiple classes, then they should rewrite the rule, or obolish it.

I am well aware than Cody Leonard has ran several classes in one night...in different cars. There currently is no provision for one car in multiple classes...even with different drivers.

The irony of the statement about “crying and doing homework”...there are a few sub-18 second lap Street Stocks. Earlier in the year, those lap times would have been very competitive in Limited Late Model. (LLM’s have gotten faster since then). anyway, one SS driver I talked to really wanted to run against the LLM cars...but the “one car, one class” rule was clear, so he never asked. I guess ignorance is bliss!

So, I couldn’t care less if a Pure Stock runs with a SS.  I guess my question is can SS run with LLM’s if he wants?

i always assumed the rules was to prevent DELAYS!! The track having to wait for driver changes, topping off fuel cells, possible tire changes, etc.

But, if that is all out the window now, I think I37 should let everyone know.

Thanks

Being I have only made 3 laps this year due to demons under my hood, this is a touchy subject because egos can start flying and a lot of crap gets taken the wrong way.  I have asked the same question about a LLM running with the STLMS guys. (i tried to do this)  Same answer every time is chassis stub is to heavy. I think a SS in our class (nothing to do with speed) is too heavy due to how fragile our cars are in the sense in case things go down hill and the SS is in the middle of it.  Nothing against the driver but its racing and nothing is predictable.   However, it does say registered car not driver.  That might be different if the driver just wants to see how he stacks up against a faster class but that might come with some push back regardless of car counts because of points or whatever. I know a SS ran with us at STS one night and did ok. Im sure there are many SS capable of running with our LLMs but being its a different class of car its not fair regardless of how slow the llm or how fast the SS is.  So to be fair , if someone wants to run in SS, then register for that class. Same with the others.  If a purestock wants to run in LLM, then that car needs to register as an LLM..and so on. Although, I don think and LLM can register as a ministock-(damn it)I. lol....Point being the rule is clear....

STUPID RULE IN MY OPINION, LOWER CLASS CARS HAVE RUN WITH UPPER CLASS CARS FOR YEARS AT ALL TRACKS I HAVE BEEN TOO. SOMETIME A CAR BREAKS IN HEAT RACE AND THEY BORROW A CAR FROM LOWER CLASS TO STILL GET POINTS, IF THE CAR IS LEGAL SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM, THEY PROBABLY JUST NEED TO THROW OUT THE RULE, SOME OF THE RULES WERE WRITTEN YEARS AGO BY FORMER OWNER-OPERATORS AND THE JUST MADE SOME ADJUSTMENTS.

I don't see a problem with any car running with a higher class if it conforms with the rules. Sometimes you need the car count to make a show. Making a show is what sells tickets. Sometimes a written rule needs to deal with intent. If a rule is unfavorable, petition the track for a change just like I have been doing to try to get our 2017 Sport Compact Champion permission to race compacts again, seeing he has a ready car and we need more cars. I don't agree racing a pure stock is "moving up" from a winning compact, a fact that was proven at STS when some compacts actually raced with them. To me it would be like a Frontrunner running with the Sport Compacts and placing high up. If its fits, go for it. Every class can use more cars, there's never too many. JMO. Now the STS/ compact deal was not fair because of the weight requirement so that's different.

i agree..if the car fits the rules then let it run...I read the rules for world of outlaws and Lucas oil late models and my car fits the rule...May get hammered with talent and engines...but i fit the rules...I dont care what runs with us in our class...but im only one person....but rules are rules.  I think the biggest part of it is keeping the classes separate. And the only way to do that is mandate certain parts of the car like body..tires...jmo..however i think we should leave it to the driver to decide if he wants to take his car and run in an upper class..

Also, remember I37 organized a “grudge race” not too many weeks ago running top cars from several different classes in a single race. I don’t recall any problems with running these cars together that night.

I agree if the car fits the rules, it should be allowed to run the any class. Regardless if it is inferior, heavier, or better suited for another class. As far as I know most of the top running SS have professionally built racing chassis, and aftermarket sheetmetal bodies. They can easily fit rules of LLM...maybe a few minor changes. Also, I know Edna let the LLM run in several SS races a few years ago. No major problems then either. So if a SS wants to run in LLM, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Again, I assume the hesitation for a track to do this is related to inherent delays associated with one car runnning multiple classes on the same night. However, they allows one driver in multiple classes, which causes even more delays IMO, due to entire car change (not hating, just stating facts). Last year I saw SS at I37 run about a dozen “pace laps” waiting on driver who had just run the race before in another class and car. That particular night it was a little ridiculous. But in fairness, that is the only time I recall a major delay.

Unfortunately the track needs to be consistent and not selective. Either you can run one car in multiple classes, or you can’t. They need to take a stand. Either enforce the rule, or get rid of it and then stand behind the decision.

On several occassions at STS this year including the last race the SS class car counts have been horrid and when not enough show up they put the Street Stocks with the LLM's. At the last race both Street Stocks started 9th and 10th and after 2 laps they were running 2nd and 3rd. On lap 3 as the SS was taking the lead contact was made and the SS was knocked out as the LLM continued on to his win. I dont buy the fragile front end stuff most of the LLM's are built like a sherman tank and well it has been proven this year on certain track conditions the SS's are as equally fast. I dont think tracks these days are in position to turn drivers and cars away if they want to run multiple classes. Just make em pay some more money and lettem go.

Stephan your right...Most of our cars are old asphalt lates and have stout front ends, perimeter cages, etc.. there are a few of us that have purpose built chassis and are not as strong at others and most cars in the SS class...However I will say that argument should be more about drivers abilities and talent than sturdiness..I also think alot of the SS guys should put on the big tires and come run with us. There isnt much difference in the sense and alot of those guys have been driving alot longer than guys like me.  I think we could have a huge LLM class.

I think you will see some do exactly that. Maybe a reason why they haven't in the past is the ss class was a growing exciting class for a couple years. Its pretty much tailed off lately and you dont see street stocks being built at the same rate as pure stocks and limiteds.

Could it be rules package? Texana has no problem fielding quality Street Stocks. I-37 is tailing off some  and STS they are non existent. Maybe we should be looking at what Texana is doing. That and the rapid growth of Factory Stocks.

Maybe they should go back to what Stephan was doing with the Shoot out series. That was nothing sort of great racing with quality cars, and usually close to, if not full fields everywhere they went. It was just great racing. 

Archived