Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

MORE..

An even bigger challenge is the engine in this midget.

There are several possibilities and reasons for the engine and we can only assume it was before the sanctioned 1/4 Midget rules went in to effect adopting the Continental engines for competition.

This engine may have been one that happened to fit the car and was used as kiddie rides which was popular in the 50's for those that were not in the competing mode..

Another guess would be these engines became extinct since Deco Continentals were made official..

We still need to find more information on this particular engine and it's life span and history..

Stay tuned as we dig into the origin of the little racer.

post-8338-1221021433_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1221021481_thumb.jpg

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim,

I could be wrong but, I think the cracked surface is the Gel Coat letting loose after all those years..

The fiber itself is probably in tact and could possibly be saved. Definitely some work involved here :blink:

-Randy

IDENTITY FOCUS

After further investigation and research, It appears the midget above was manufactured by DASCAR in the mid to late 50's.

I have found some articles and based on the bumpers and body style it was an original midget manufactured by the company named above. We believe the company was in southern California.

This midget was also available in kit form and could be shipped for a cost of $395 in the 50's

The midget has obviously seen some action over the years and some changes over the period of time has been noted. Or possibly some manufacturing changes from the original design.

It is called a "Marauder" Midget manufactured by DASCAR!

It was more commonly known as the DASCAR MIDGET

This midget was not nationally related as much as the Wahlborg, Pacemakers, Moss Midgets, or Kurtis Midgets. It was however an alternative midget to consider and probably never gained popularity since the engine that it came with would have to be replaced with the Continental approved racing engines.

Probably saw more action on the west coast but dropped in popularity due to the Quarter Midget Rules going with Continental Engines which came factory equipped on many other racers in production

I would estimate this midget was in production years between 1956 - 57.

We are not sure the manufacturer is still in business and will need further investigation.

We will include more photos coming soon..

:angry:

Hurricane Ike came with fury and we are just now getting back on with electricity at home. Many thousands are still without power and less fortunate.

The people south of us really got hit hard!!

Our prayers for those still missing..

Thanks for checking in on us Doug!

-Randy

Denny Burton / Larry Schild 1959

We would like to thank 57 Racing for posting the photos of Denny and Larry along with MJ Burton to the forum.

We included the photos on this thread to focus on the history of 1/4 midget racing further in detail.

The photo below shows Denny and Larry in their Quarter Midgets at the Gulf Freeway Race Track 1959 in the pit area and was also featured further back on our thread that was related to a newspaper article.

This was pretty close to the entry level for Denny and Larry. The black and White midget #99 of Larry's you will also see in this thread dueling for the lead with myself, further back on this topic.

The #9 Midget would be Denny's second midget in his Quarter Midgets Days..

Both midgets sponsored by Burton Motors which would be MJ Burton.

post-8338-1222173605_thumb.jpg

MJ Burton with Larry Schild -1960

This photo was taken at the Pasadena race track in 1960.

Here is MJ in the middle posing with Larry Schild on the right in the helment.

We are not sure of the young lady in the photo as to identity at this time..

post-8338-1222174295_thumb.jpg

Randy

I notice that the 1959 and 1960 cars are different. Can you tell me the makes of each? Im not up to speed on the different makes but Im learning. I also noticed the "Lead Foot" on the side of Larrys car. Maybe we can get some of the nicknames that those young drivers had back then.

Randy

I notice that the 1959 and 1960 cars are different. Can you tell me the makes of each? Im not up to speed on the different makes but Im learning. I also noticed the "Lead Foot" on the side of Larrys car. Maybe we can get some of the nicknames that those young drivers had back then.

PAPA,

The photos of the midgets taken in 1959 were both Wahlborg Midgets and manufactured in the 50's starting around 1957.

The #9 Wahlborg that Denny is driving is the standard Wahlborg midget.

The #99 that Larry is driving is a "King" Wahlborg which was specifically designed for larger or older kids so that they were able to fit inside the little midgets. If I'm not mistaken, MJ bought the #99 midget originally for his daughter to drive. At the time she was older than the rest of us little racers and her desire to race was not in her best interest if I recall the story..

The car was then taken over by Larry to drive although it was a little big for him at the time.

There were several manufacturers of Quarter Midgets which were designed differently like Chevy's and Fords.

The photo with MJ Burton and Larry is a "Daytona Viper" Midget which Larry and Denny would both drive after leaving the Wahlborg Midgets in 1959.

If you start at the beginning of this thread, you will see Larry Schild in the " Flying 1 " Daytona Viper after taking a win at the Pasadena Track.

Denny Burton drove an identical midget with the #5 ..

"Lead Foot" Larry Schild

If I recall correctly, Larry was given this nick name by his Dad, Charlie Ray Schild.

B)

Fender Tags

Jim, Buddy,

This is interesting...

Maybe the "Tags" were added to the midget over it's life time from a Mercury quite possibly? :blink:

I am not sure but the Repops are different than on the midget.

Here is a photo of the side of the Midget.

After looking at the 64 Mercury, you may have a point here Buddy..

From what I have researched, it's very possible that the tags were added to the midget later to go along with the name of the midget which did not come with tags.

I am not real familiar with this midget or recall ever racing with any in my days. Again, I think the little midget lost out on popularity in it's brief life time.

Sorta like the "Edsel" from Ford.

NOTE: Photo Below

Look at the rear bumper on this midget and the one above on this thread. You will see a striking simularity..

We did notice the nerf bars are different and still investigating other model options.

post-8338-1222228985_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1222232028_thumb.jpg

More Simularities

Here's another midget in the long list of manufactures of the 50's that also has a resemblence to the "DASCAR" Midget

post-8338-1222232637_thumb.jpg

This is an "Anscraft Midget" mfg by Ansen Automotive

Line Up of Quarter Midgets

The photo below is another shot of the Liberty Race Track in Liberty,TX and a line up of local and Houston Quarter Midget Drivers. ( This was not at Playland Park or Go-Kart Track )

There is another shot from the opposite direction further back on this thread illustrating the drivers names from what we could identify from the photo.

Starting from Left to Right this photo

Darrel Hammond...... Race Craft Midget #69

Unknown..... Wahlborg Midget #57 ( Possibly another Hammond Brother?)

Larry Schild..... Viper Midget #1

Denny Burton..... Viper Midget #5

Chubby Chapman..... Bosloug Midget #5

Bruce Dowdy........ Not Identified

Freddy Taylor..... Grand Prix Midget #13

Sandra Honea..... Moss Midget #10

Steve Catlin..... Moss Midget #21

Unknown..... Wahlborg Midget #9 ( Looks like Denny Burton's previous midget )

Maybe someone can help us identify the unknown drivers..

post-8338-1222236588_thumb.jpg

Photo taken 1960 between turns 1 and 2

The repopos were actually made for the 03 and 04 marauders. The original 64 badges had the name and flag separated just like on the midget. I never put the repops on our Marauder for that reason.

I see your point there Jim.

The midget above does bring some questions and I do believe the fender badges were added to the midget later in it's life from the Mercury..

-Randy

Starting the Little Midgets

PAPA,

The little midgets were easily started by a brisk shove from our "Grunts" ( usually our dads ) to get'm rollin.

The dad's would usually lean over and brace themselves with their left arm to the roll bars and then lift the right rear wheel off the ground a few inches and with a forward motion would drop the right rear wheel to the pavement to turn the rear wheel.

After making contact with the pavement, the rear wheel would engage the engine to turn over. The driver would simply switch the ignition and the little engine came to life and off we were to form a line up in the field.

The "Handle" you are referring to was simply a protection device to keep an agressive driver behind you from climbing all over the rear Turtle Hull and to prevent damage to the midget by a gentle or not so gentle "Bump"

In simplicity, just like the big midgets in their day

There were no handles designed for lifting the midgets per say although some used the rear bumper to lift the midget instead of lifting the right rear wheel.

:D #85

• 3 weeks later...

Pacemaker Quarter Midget

As we strive to find more information on 1/4 Midgets, we find additional adds and promotions of the various midgets that were manufactured for the serious racer from the 50's.

Pictured here is an old add on a stock version Pacemaker midget.

All midgets were usually shipped in the purest stock form for competitive cost.

After market parts were out there also to build the midget up for full all out racing with slicks, modified engines, mags, special carbs, and other competition performance parts.

post-8338-1224039079_thumb.jpg

This Pacemaker is a 1957 model which the roll bars were later widened for a little more safety for the driver on later production models.

This midget sold for about $745.00 in it's stock form. After adding competition parts and performance gear, spare engines, tires, spare parts and more, the little midget could easily have close to $1000.00 invested in itself.

In the 50's that was a lot of money!

We were doing good just to purchase the midgets..

post-8338-1224039616_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1224041131_thumb.jpg

Building Midgets

Here's another example of a 1/4 Midget under construction during the fad of the 50's

post-8338-1224040412_thumb.jpg

The biggest competition was not only between the drivers but also the builders of the little racers and the tricks were only left to the imagination.. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

MIDGET 85

We inhanced this picture to show a close up of the little Quarter Midgets.

On the Pacemaker you will note the horizontal shocks on the rear to make the little midget perform and would add to the handling characteristics based on the track set up.

Pacemakers were equipped on four wheels with these little suspension tricks.

They could be modified to adjust for harshness or loosened for dig in grip. The beauty was the adjustments that could be made on any or all four corners of the midget.

The trick was learning where adjustments were needed which was mainly left up to the driver to tell the chief mechanic.

No wild lean outs from the cock pit were needed to hold the midget or grip. In those days with no cages, you simply adjusted the throttle pedal where your knee would have a bend and actually braced your body with the pedal and pushed your back tight into the back of the seat for good bracing.

Grip the wheel and let the suspension do the work!

Note the presence of keeping your arms inside the cock pit for protection..

Vibrations on the non suspension race cars could actually leave your butt tingling after a long race..

Driving the Pacemaker was like driving a Cadillac compared to the other cars I had driven.

A very smooth handling race car with springs and shocks new to 1/4 midgets in that time.

Took awhile to learn the schematics of being too loose or too tight!

post-8338-1225065603_thumb.jpg

Every lap took concentration to feel the midget and it's personality to the set ups.

Flat out throttle complimented by handling was a good way to win.

Concentration and the "Seat of Your Pants Feel" could usually give you a pretty good idea if the midget was handling correctly or to the drivers style of driving..

If you were correct and the right set up was applied, you usually ended up like the photo below..

post-8338-1225065992_thumb.jpg

:)

MORE PHOTOS

I ran across another photo with Randy and Joey (The official youngest novis driver) at the Gulf Freeway Race Track in Houston.

This is another shot from 1958 and Joey wanting to be a racer like the rest of us but was too young to compete. Somehow he was always involved with posing with the racers after a victory win as seen here.

We still don't know what has happened to Joey Jordon..

post-8338-1225071859_thumb.jpg