sportsman rules

ss10

ss99, tires or motor?what about driver ability, track time, set-up, team cooperation and lady luck? just because the vehicles arent exactly even doesnt mean you cant win or even do good. You guys are champions, are your tires and engine better or is it a combination of all things ,especially lady luck?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chase, I know where you and others are coming from. I wouldn't say that I'm content with just taking laps but after a 2 season layoff I am getting rid of the rust and in a way starting all over. You guys (Cary, Bobby and others) have raised the bar. The motors I have sitting on engine stands are no longer good for Street Stock but are better suited for Hobby Stock. I didn't have the money to do what I needed this season and accepted it that way. I've had fun and plan on having a little more fun. Next season I'll be more up to speed. I could go and watch but no matter where I finish I know I'll have more fun than sitting in the bleachers. (I'm getting a new late model engine...uh I mean street stock engine built for my car for next season.)

ss99, tires or motor?what about driver ability, track time, set-up, team cooperation and lady luck? just because the vehicles arent exactly even doesnt mean you cant win or even do good. You guys are champions, are your tires and engine better or is it a combination of all things ,especially lady luck?

Rusty, you're absolutely correct. All those factors come into play in the big picture.

My question about TAMS was intended to be more specific because it relates directly to the current debate. In that series, you can run a 4bbl carb on top of a stroker motor if you wish, but you've got to put all that horsepower down with 970s. The other option is a fairly modest 2bbl motor with the f53 tire. If you've followed the series like I'm sure you have, you know that the 2bbl carb option is the fastest hands down. That comparison relates directly to this debate about the current SS/Sportsman rules.

Chase, yeah, i was in the tams for a while we had all the horses and none of the tire. cheaper that route, and i seen guys winning or in the top five on treads and dirt cars at that. the first one that pops into mind is Lawrence in the 87 i think it was. it was a couple of years ago and i dont really see them race anymore(different schedule), and im sure its a whole nother group of talent over there now. superlates run different combos and you see those different combos work. I raced these races last year at cc and the sas cars really didnt have a chance and only a couple of thr cars made the field. and jim did well like 4th and i was 5th when a flat took me out. went back at beginning of year and won my heat by 12 cars. even if you dont think you can win and some rules change to be more siutable next year, i am a firm believer that there is nothing better than seat time for improved times. so it wouldnt only be a test to get the rules closer for next year, but valuble track experience and setup changes for the next year when you might be a whole year behind.

Termite, i can definately relate to the money situation, been on the same rights for 4 races and the lefts since the beginning of the season, but i still practice at every track when it is available.experience is the key.

I agree with Termite. I started to put my car together anyway, But just ran into a problem so now I am not going to be able to make it anyway. I am bummed! Just if you wanted to know what the problem was, the gears I was going to run broke today. So now no gears!

ok picture this since we are using TAMS as an example. just imagine that 50 % of the cars were on 970s and and had big carberator and the rest were on slicks and small carbs. then all of a sudden the cars on 970s were allowed to put slicks on and keep the big carb. it would not be fair. i think that is what every one is basically saying about the rules for this weekend. i am in the same boat as fast 18 i would love to race this weekend but since i am a clutz i can not. i am sure :huh: something good will come from all of this.

good luck to every one this weekend

Speaking for myself, I'm not going to go spend $500 to prove a point to rules makers,when my payout for the race might be $150 because I am at a dissadvantage. I would rather save my money and race on the22nd.

Don't ignore the fact that the SAS cars have two options. The option that allows them to run their slicks puts 100 pounds on them over what you have to run. If they run the other option, the THR cars and the SAS cars are pretty my on level footing with both on the 970s.

Of course, nobody has perfect foresight, but only time will tell if the extra 100 pounds was the right amount to compensate for the slicks.

Nick Holt

...................................................... and they stand around looking at each other, saying "What the hell is the matter with people? Why can't we get a good crowd in the stands on Saturday nights?"

Not sure where you concluded that everyone is standing around looking at each other wondering what to do. Most everyone I know - and that includes a bunch of drivers and team members - are trying their best to turn things around.

There will always be differences of opinions and we certainly have a few in this thread. But, in the end, it will all work out and everyone will still be friends.

Nick Holt

Thanks Nick for the update. Good to hear the promoters are moving in the right direction to unify the rules. That should make it much better for everyone.

Please pardon the frustration voiced in my previous post. My point is, the average race fan doesn't read TXSZ. He doesn't know anything about the all the rules and the differences between one track and another. All he knows is that he walks up to the gate and buys his ticket. He stops a gets something to eat and drink at the concession, then sits and watches the races. When tracks are running feature races with 7 and 8 cars, that fan leaves at the end of the evening, never to be seen again, thinking he has got a lot better things to do with his time and money.

After last Saturday night, we have a rare opportunity. We have attracted some attention to local racing. We ALL need despritely to seize the moment! NOT sit on here with our petty bickering and totally blow it!

I think this car count think is overrated. Most fans want to see a show. I have never in my life heard a new fan complain about car count. That is just a new phrase to them when they hear "car count". If the racers dont show, bring on the Elephants, dancing girls, clowns or something, the fans will come back if they are entertained. In other words, who cares who races and who doesnt, as long as there is a race, nooone will miss the ones who are not there.

i dont race a s.s. or what ever they call it now.in the late 90's i used to love this race in oct. for 2 or 3 years kyle cars had the advantage. im not saying they won every race but they were up front. we ran in it in 97 for the time got 4th next 3 years was running good or quilified good an ether blow up or just bad luck.if you want to go to a track and go fast sas is the place to.i have seen greg do well up there too sometimes its just bad luck. i hope everybody has a safe trip to and from sas this weekend.im going fri to watch. yall have fun

I hear a heck of lot of complaining about how long and late the races are from new people, but "Car Count" only from within the regulars. Why is it when USRA or TSRS has a car count of 20 cars, it is low, But noone mentioned the Busch had "Only 20 cars". It is the show, not the car count. A long drawn out wreckfest till midnight is what runs people off. That is why I will not attend the Stock Car Spectacular. The promoters and track owners want car count at weekly shows because they make it off of the back gate. And that what they have to do. But "Car Count" has very little effect on the quality of the show.

............... and that's why your weekly fan count is 600, when it should and could be 6000 + . Last Saturday night's fan count at THR was a typical "Saturday night crowd" in the 1960's. Think that's a exaggeration? Don't take my word for it. Look at the thread " Pan Am 2005" in the racing history section.

None of my business,but I can tell you that tires are the most important thing on a race car,period.Just like the TAMS cars,no dirt car with treaded tires can run with the slick cars anymore and dont try.The tracks should align the rules during the winter so people can travel if desired during the year.I would like to know why they dont?To me the importance of componets in order are,TIRES,CHASSIS,MOTOR.Assuming the driver is a race car driver,home track advantage is gone after practice.100# of weight doesnt mean much if you can put it where you want.Just my opinion.Good luck to all you racers,looks like a good weekend for racing.

Archived