sportsman rules

ss10

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you go out there and do the best you can within the rules, the tracks and officials will take notes and make adjustments accordingy for next year.  

That's we thought about last year's rules. It kinda went the other way, hence the controversy.

It is pretty self centered thinking that your car needs to have THE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE before you even show up.  

Nobody is asking for an advantage, just to be able to show up without a serious disadvantage.

sometimes to much grip can hurt.

Rusty, I must admit, I've never heard that one before.

But it is true that too much GRIPE can hurt, so I'll finally shut up about this. I'm normally not this vocal about something, but when I feel strongly about something, this is what you get.

I want to repeat that we're not abstaining from the Oktoberfast race because of these rules. We had other plans scheduled way before the rules came out. If it weren't for that, we'd be there to support the track and the race regardless of the rules. And we'll be at THR on the 22nd.

Good luck to everyone.

You know I would love to come race with SAS guys and at least have a chance. But I would rather save the $500 at min. And not use this race to let the officials to make rules changes for the next event. Isn't This the 9th annual event, how many times does it take? I have raced in prior events at SAS in a TSRS car and in a sportsman. The sportsman car, was fast but I got my ass handed to me. Not fun.

PS I am not trying to boycott any track. Just the rules. Lets be fair and more cars will show up. We all know that car counts have been down. I know severl that are just sitting on jack stands because of rules like these, and just the cast of racing period. We all know we have to keep up with the Jones to be competitve.

Just my 2cents

i've raced every octoberfast since 1997 w/ the sportsman , in MY street stock.....last year was the closest the rules had been for either side...i'm telling you from experience , it's not gonna work...just for the budmans and the nicks and the other shawns.......... there is not a boycott , it's not an organized screw the man we're staying home party.....it's merely our decision to do so ..........this is so afterwards all the why's are answered a head off time.....but if anybody else wants to put there 2 cents in and tell us what they think we should be doing with our cars - they can put their money where their mouth is ....buy mine and go to sas and proof me wrong.....

That was my opinion crazyhorse and ss10, I thought the rules last year were pretty close, of course the SA guys had the advantage because of the track being their home, that is part of the 3 race deal. Don't know why such a big change was made, and why most of it was for SA guys when like 6 or 7 of the top 10 were SA guys. I feel the same, ain't going to spend the money to put good tires on the car, expenses for out of town stay, plus race fees, so the officials can use it to do better next year. I think for as long as the rules makers have been around racing, they should know better by now! I will be there to watch, though. I love Octoberfast, like I've said before, but I think I will watch this one from the sidelines.

Just a thought, I don't know if CC has a post season race, but if they do, why not have all three tracks have a small post season point race blow-out. Since these events usually happen on seperate nights, if a racer wanted to try their hand at all three, they could. Or, being that CC is a little further to drive, have a small post season points battle between SAS and THR. Either way, it would allow everyone an advatage on their "home turf". Just a thought.

An idea just came to mind that was implemented for a different race that involved different types of cars... Why not invite the top 3 drivers from each track to test using the new rules packages so that they can determine any futher tweaking. Didnt they do that last year for SA's big race and if Im not mistaken RPfan (Jamie Fuller) was one of the drivers to take his TSRS car out so they can tweak the rules... I wonder if this is still an option if Nick Jack and Paul could get together on this look at lap times and see where it should go from there... Just a thought though its probrobly too late for the SAS race...

Marc

You bet it's too late...Like I said before I race for the love of racing. I want to race this race wether I'm handicapped by the rules or not. I understand the viewpoints of my fellow THR drivers and I do share their feelings in regards to the rule but I have been looking forward to this race all season long. So...for those of you that are makin' the trip...Lets Go Racin' ! :D

I guess the post season events are really for the true racer... Idk, personally, never raced before, but i do know this, i would love to be in that field of 25 or so cars and put on the best show of the year.

you guys play mr. Nascar and sit and pout in the corner about every little disadvantage we have, and let us tru racers go and play, have a little fun, and possibly pull a win off...

-Shawn

P.S. CHorse- i remember back last year and this year in the SS races. I dont remember all of the winners of every race, but i know the majority of them we cary s. and bobby t., our team never won one, but we were out there every week trying. I dont see any difference between a regular race and post season events, NO POINTS to worry about, and more cars. Those seems like +'s to me????IDK

i've raced every octoberfast since 1997 w/ the sportsman , in MY street stock.....last year was the closest the rules had been for either side...i'm telling you from experience , it's not gonna work...just for the budmans and the nicks and the other shawns.......... there is not a boycott , it's not an organized screw the man we're staying home party.....it's merely our decision to do so ..........this is so afterwards all the why's are answered a head off time.....but if anybody else wants to put there 2 cents in and tell us what they think we should be doing with our cars - they can put their money where their mouth is ....buy mine and go to sas and proof me wrong.....

I'll race your car Shawn... :D:D:D

I dont understand why all the tracks dont have the same rules for each class. Are they afraid they will lose car count or what? I think the drivers and car owners need to get together and come up with a standard set of rules and let the tracks know that this is the way its going to be. JMO

I dont understand why all the tracks dont have the same rules for each class. Are they afraid they will lose car count or what? I think the drivers and car owners need to get together and come up with a standard set of rules and let the tracks know that this is the way its going to be. JMO

I keep hearing that they are trying to head in that direction, maybe as soon as next year. I like the idea also.

It seems like everyone wants to have Post season races but when it comes down to actually racing them everyone cry's about the rules instead. The Post season races are supposed to be a time to race your car at other tracks and have FUN not sit around and complain about the rules not be being best suited to your car. We are bringing two cars from CCMS and no the rules are not in our favor but we just want to be able to run at other tracks after our season is over. Post season races are a great oppertunity to be able to run other tracks that you did not have a chance to do during the regular points season.

I'm sure the people that are complaining about rules sit and complain about everything not being their way all year at their home tracks too. It's all about having fun and driving on different tracks.

i'm done on this subject after this comment- like i said before, buy or built your own cars.........show us how tru racers do it-tsrs shawn your entitled to your opinion....spend a little of that money you obiviously got stashed and show us! if not shut you months... or better yet talk to us like the tru racers you are- we're discussing rules and why all but one of us with a car to ACTUALLY race is not going......so tell me shawn tsrs what rt. front spring would you suggest to run , how about last year i was loose as hell off both ends but when i took a fraction of r. brake out it got tighter than hell...maybe you tru racers could help me out............

later ..i 'm so done on this subject it's unreal!!! when guys that have know clue as to what they're even talking about are telling guys what they should be doing with their cars????i don't know , you guys got it all figured out ....for all us ,so this is yalls thread now...

i guess i'm lost here... last year we were going to run at thr, we called got a list of rules figured out what we needed for our sas sportsman, bought it and went to practice twice. we asked questions to ss99 and a few others and didn't due to bad in practice. never raced because of the rain outs.

here's my question and i know shawn paul isn't on here anymore. first off if we want to run hmp,thr or ccms and we are a sas car, why should any of these tracks have to change for us. if a team wants to run at a track away from their home track and the rules are different, then the team has to adapt. i think it's pretty much period and end of story. now what i would love to see is that all the tracks get together and run the same series with the same rules, that way if shawn, ss99, shrimp or whomever want to come to sas and run they don't have to spend all the monies to change their cars and then most likely wont come. the same with rohmer, tater, garrett and others from sas that would go to other tracks. now is it just me or does it make more since to try to have rules that are more the same or does someone else have another idea?

I know the majority would like the rules to be the same or close. With THR going to a 12 week schedule next season it would make it easier to visit other tracks on the off nights. Maybe I am just a little excited about racing at SAS because I've only raced there once before. I think there is going to be a descent car count and if my car holds together I'll have fun no matter where I finish.

see that's what i'm talking about. if the tracks were all running say 500cfm carbs, f53 tires and etc. then you would only have to change rear end gear. like you said if thr has an off week, someone could run at sas. or vise-verse or whatever.

i think the tracks/officials could work together on this...

Sam, Shawn, and Mickey, I wish you guys the best of luck and hope you go and have a blast. I've got no beef with you guys whatsoever. But you guys are making a point for me that I've mentioned to a few privately. That point is that some guys are perfectly content just showing up and making laps. That's great if it suits you. Some others have different goals when it comes to racing and prepare their stuff to actually win the race. If their equipment has no chance of doing that, they tend to have a different outlook on the race.

I'm sure the people that are complaining about rules sit and complain about everything not being their way all year at their home tracks too.

Actually Sam, you're very wrong about that assumption.

KISS, I think you are misunderstanding what's going on. If we knew that we had to change our car to meet SAS rules to compete, there would be no complaint. You either do it or you don't. That's not what is going on here. The rules makers have established a set of rules modifications that they have deemed fair for all three of the different sets of cars. Their not telling us we have to meet SAS rules to compete. If that were the case, there would be no question about fairness. The beef is that they are nowhere near fair. I'll say it again, the THR cars don't expect an advantage, just an even field.

Ask any of the TAMS drivers which is more important - tires or motor?

Archived