More USRA SLM cars

Bandit

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I go out to the track, I usually see a lot of cars/drivers, but I also see a lot of classes. I think Bryan C. hinted at this on here a while back. Would it be a good idea for track management and car owners to get together and maybe rethink where we are and where we're headed?

Maybe fewer classes IS the answer to bigger car counts, across the board as you say ss99. Just have each class run an additional one or two races per night to put on a good show for the fans. I'll be truthful with you. When I see TSRS run, it's gotten to where I recognize a lot of old SLMs in that class, just painted different. Is that part of the problem?

When I see TSRS run, it's gotten to where I recognize a lot of old SLMs in that class, just painted different. Is that part of the problem?

Well, it may appear that some of them are old SLM cars, but they actually aren't. It wouldn't be cost effective to convert a USRA SLM car to a TSRS car - totally different beast.

Most of the TSRS cars were running as a THR limited late model or SAS super street before TSRS, and several of them are new cars built/bought after TSRS was started.

Another question would be, who believes that horsepower is a factor at Kyle and Houston in a SLM? Do you need a $30,000 motor? This is not to test your knowledge, but I want to see what the racers perception is.

When I go out to the track, I usually see a lot of cars/drivers, but I also see a lot of classes. I think Bryan C. hinted at this on here a while back. Would it be a good idea for track management and car owners to get together and maybe rethink where we are and where we're headed?

well now that the wow class has been eliminated i would guess those cars will now race with the roadrunners, so that leaves 3 classes at sas.........i think 3 classes is the right amount, but the thing is the classes have to be different and distinct, but not too different where the guy couldnt take the car and move it up to the next class............and the rules need to quit changing every time the wind blows too........that could be another factor in the lower car counts, at least at sas........and this isnt a bash on the track or anyone in particular, but if the rule book would just remain untouched for at least a complete season it might make a difference...........with the rising cost of everything, and the difficulty in landing a sponsor it is getting to where most are tapped out to start the season, and then to make changes that increase costs pushes a lot of teams over the edge..........this is just my opinion and not a request to become a promoter or anything like that............... :)

I agree with what Rebelracer is saying about rule changing. That is why we sold our enclosed trailer and car. We were 3rd in points when the 1st and 2nd car got busted with racing shocks, rules stated that oem replacement shock no racing shocks. So the track had a meeting with all the drivers to change the rules to fit those 2 cars. So that way it would be a little more fair. Here goes the cost of a low cost car. No bashing. But what do you do when this happens. PACK UP, SELL EVERYTHING. We are not the only 1 doing this. Just look at the ads. Speedzone don't lie. Problems is that tracks are not reacting to the post.

well they say they dont conduct business by message boards, and i dont blame them that is no way to conduct business..........but to be honest the way the racing shock incident was handled is no way to handle business either.........both of those guys are good guys and good drivers, but for them to change the rules to please 2 drivers and end up screwing the rest is not a way to increase car counts........the roadrunner class was started as an entry level class and little by little it has gotten out of hand........the sportsman class has the same problems.......that in MY OPINION is why the car counts have went down at sas........make a set of rules and enforce those.......if you stand up and dq drivers who are illiegal and not change the rules you might save the cars you have left.........it is easier to piss off a couple of drivers by dqing them, then piss off all the drivers by makin them spend more money on a car that is already costing them more money than they have as it is...........jmo

GRRACING,

You know for a fact that the first and second place car in the RR class is not the only cars that have racing shocks, if you were at the meeting that night they asked how many cars were running racing shocks and all but 2 people raised their hands. You raced the RR class last year and you yourself knew that racing shocks were said to be legal last year.

I don't like the idea of making a crate motor mandatory.  

I agree that making it mandatory is a bad idea, but perhaps messaging the rules slightly to favor the crates could bring more cars out.

An excellent example is the Texas Pro Sedans. Look at how many different combinations they have, and seem to be having a banner year with car counts. They have done a good job at balancing the vastly different designs, and continue to tweak every year. Good job TPS.

Mel

Callen, I know about the shocks and the meeting and the outcome. I was in the same boat. I am just trying to say how rule changes in the middle of a season, is just bad. Please don't take this personal. It was not meant as a strike to you or the other guy.

Rebelracer,

The WOW cars will not be able to drive in the roadrunner class because they are already driven by the guys in that class. Closing the WOW class will not add to the roadrunner car count. I probably am the only one that will pull my car away from the track altogether. I own my car and was letting a friend drive it, since it was at the track anyway. I'm not going to spend the money or time to keep the car up, if I'm not driving it.

I just wish that I wouldn't have paid for reserved pit space and season pit pass. I came out losing money on that deal. I would of had to attend 16 races to make the season pit pass pay for itself. 10 races is nowhere close. I will probably go in the pits instead of the stands, just because I will get in with my pit pass there. Would really be nice to watch races from the stands with my family.

This is not a bash against the track or anyone else. It is just my personal oppinion.

Mona Turner

Has been #19 WOW rookie 2005

thats true mona and that sucks...........so when is the last wow race, arent they going to let ya'll finish the season........i know it was mentioned at the fascar meeting tuesday, but i didnt catch the whole deal........you aren't going to drive it in the roadrunner class since it is your car and you did pretty good in the wow class........well good luck to you in your future plans...............

Pace car,don't take this wrong it is not aimed at you,not they would have to go to a totally different car,one that before this year SAS would be the only track in the state and a state or two surrounding it as well,that they could run at. I say go back to the rules from the 80s, home made bodies with max and min. diminsions,and 8.5 lbs per cubic inch,it would lead to a variety of engine combinations. The late models were more exciting then in my opinion. Even some homemade cars ran well of course some of that was experience as well.

Rebelracer,

We get to race the next 2 Saturday's, then they cancelled us for 8/6, off for USRA on 8/13, race the last 2 saturdays' in August. Then that's it.

There is no point to run my car in roadrunner. I have no chance for a points race. I don't really care to go out there and let my car get tore up without being in a points run. I can sell my car while it is still in one piece, better than tore up or having to fix it to sell.

I hope they let the WOW participate in the awards ceremony.

I have another project that myself and a few others are initiating. I will also still be spending my money on Jamie's car. I am going to send my crew over to work for Jamie's crew. That should free me up to do other things.

I wish that I wouldn't have sold my boat. I wonder if the boat dealer will take a race car as a trade? I really miss fishing almost every weekend. We will see what time will tell.

Mona

Taking a look at the big pikture is absolutly the thing to do. Most people want to move up to another level, no matter what level they are racing at today. Money is the kommon denominator for everyone. The best idea I have heard about lately was that Mr. Dikkerson was going to get more korporate people involved by offering the driving schools/ride along deals and letting them have korporate funktions at the trakk during the week. Basically, this will get newer and bigger money to the business. Most people who sponsor or attend races now are some how tied to a racer or one of his krew members. That is great, but there needs to be more $$$$ to move up. Think outside of the box a little and go get the money to support the next level. No one racer/promoter kan do it themselves. Stick with what you know, show some staying power and the kash will kome. Over reakting and changing the rules to suit the backmarkers will lower the produkt level. The hard working guy who is moving his way up the ladder will be punished by changing rules to akkomidate a few who want to be where he is. The ekonomy is moving fairly well now in some industries. Target those for partners/sponsors, not the rules. After all, how many of those expensive motors have done well this year? Those guys running up front put in the hard hours it takes.

*Footnote There are many people who use money as an exkuse. They just dont have the $$$ to pay someone to do it for them. I dont really kare for little E, but he was spotted recently hanging a body on his LATE MODEL. If you really want to do something, you kan.

Stability

Take away any worries about anything....class future...rules changes....purse structure changes...track closings...series failure.....

You do not need any talk like....well I just don't know if....

Make everything 100% for sure...absolute...set in stone...here to stay...never to change...

It won't matter if the cars cost 20 grand or 80 grand then....after some time the feild will be large...and yes some people will be left out...but that's what the other classes are for...or does everyone want all racers in the same class?

Leave it alone...and they will come...slowly but surely...and all five series have SOLID car counts right now...stability will add just a handfull of racers to each class each year and these long threads will go away.

jmo..thx for reading it.

Kosher,

So you are saying if you are able to do it and want to do it, you should be able to do it. Little E is where he's at for one reason and one reason only, his last name. It takes money to buy the parts that you "know how or want to put on" MONEY MONEY MONEY I've been racing ARTS trucks for 6-7 years, why, because I don't have the money for something faster. Not because my crew can't or won't work on something faster, but because I don't have the money to buy something faster. Ask why the truck fields are so big this year, 1. Purse is guarranteed, not that much more than last year, but everyone knows what they are gonna get . 2. A lot of people use the crate motor. $3,350 vs $6000 or more for a good 305. Same horsepower, less money, makes sense. Plus you don't have to R&D it, it's already done.

Bandit, your right, who needs a 30k motor for kyle, why wouldn't a $5,500 gm crate work, with around 450hp. But when someone has a 30k motor, most of the others think they have to have one too. The Supers would still be fast with a crate, take the Houston Lates for example, they use the same crate engine as the Trucks, but are a second or more faster. So with the higher hp crate engine, they would certainly not be far off from the existing Super times at HMP.

Anyway, back to Kosher, it takes money and lots of it to race at any level, it takes a lot more than just ability and desire to do it. If it was up to desire and ability, there would be a whole different lineup on Sundays in Cup, not the same old last names!

You are korrect there. It takes ability, desire and some lukk (sometimes a Lucky Last Name) to run at the top, but there are a lot of average people that work on their own stuff that run the Late Models, Trucks and Super Late Models on a small budget. That is not out of reach if you are realistik about where you are. Dreaming and being real is two different animals.

I disagree with big john..... :D

I think everything should be left alone. USRA/ROMCO has always been a super late model series. Maybe cut back on some costs but nothing like going to a crate motor. If you want to run a series 2 spend less money go to HMP Late Models or TSRS Late Models. Leave the super lates alone besides some expenses.

Archived