More USRA SLM cars

Bandit

Guest The_Greek

one way to keep the SLM count up is by not crashing up the cars, i went to both SAS races this year, and i believe the 2nd one had 22 cars that started and after all the wrecks i think 5 or 6 finished. mind you there was some serious wrecks in that. also a couple of years ago traction control was allowed and i think that really hurt the count also, cause alot of drivers were against and couldnt afford it, and now i think the ABC rules have hindered some cars from being able to run sooner this year, not sure all of them have the ABC body yet, those are some big costs that might be going unnoticed.

i think Terry D and company have done a great job with the USRA (SLM & Trucks) not Tams this year, i didnt realize that the SLM's are having a car count problem, i guess i will see first hand this weekend when they show up at CCMS. in years past the avg SLM count at CCMS is about 14 cars.

as for the crate motor rule, if such a rule was to be made, i would hope it would be made with advanced notice, for instance in 2007 SLM's will run crate engines, at least give the racers more than a season to make plans. just my 2 cents

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everybody has been parking them for extra time and shop space to get their pro 4's ready?

i did'nt realize a concept motor was so exspensively cheap?

putting the finishing touches on it right now....i just mowed a few days ago so this project should'nt hender me for a couple of weeks.....if i just had a little more rabbit and not so much turtle.....

I was looking through three differant Late Model Digest today and I never seen a car count for ASA LMs higher than 28. I believe it was 28,26 and 26. Where are the 50 cars per race people are talking about?

The reason you are seeing these numbers is because that is how many they start.

The first 20 or so are on qualifing times and the remaining cars race their way in through the heat races.

When I went to Madison WI. 64 cars showed for a 28 car field.

At IRP in Indiana 54 showed for a 28 car field and at Sandusky Ohio 42 showed.

Many of the former ASA tour guys joined the series in 2005 after the bankruptcy of the Tour. Keep in mind ASA and ASALM were under the same roof but ran as seperate entities. ASALM cut all ties with the tour and continues on stronger than ever.

As the series grows and some big teams from the tour race in the ASALM, they are talking about having the ASALM North composed of all the local tracks using the rules, the ASALM South which we have already talked about and the ASALM Tour division.

Cost is probably the biggest reason. Just do not seem to understand these rules making bodies building classes for the few with the cash. Have beaten this horse before, but what part of the race car keeps most people off the track. Its that simple, again what is the most common engine that the most people have? A wet sump 500cfm, iron head unported motor. Hey USRA try a test program, if you want more car count let one of these motors be run in a super latemodel with a 200 lb weight break. See how they run, qualify etc. I bet at about 75 they still have alot of tire and will be right up front. Once they run qood, you will not even have to tell them its a mandatory motor, the smart race teams will migrate to it and all of a sudden you will have your car count, self imposed. Chances are these cars would qualify within .2 to .3 of what they do now and guess what the fans would know no difference. You never know if you never try.

Archived