More USRA SLM cars

Bandit

There is alot of talk about changing the SLM rules to make it more affordable so the car count will increase. I just want to hear from truck guys , mod guys or who ever, what would persued you to move up the the SLM class? What rule changes, purse, ect...? Is cost the deciding factor?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably need to talk to all the current SLM drivers to see how many of them you might lose, first. If the series gets stronger like its suppost too(Jason), we are looking at buying one, but waiting to see if the series makes it and what changes in the rules to make it less expensive.

the cost is a deciding factor- alot less cost......or very generous sponsor- more than likely alot less cost....add in more experiece , but did i mention alot less cost?

How about making the GM Crate motor more enticing to use? Can't you get into that motor for less than $5000?

Give them a weight break to use it, or adjust left side weight on the other high-priced motored cars.

Also, can there be a way of eliminating the high price shocks without running off the guys using them now?

Mel

There is already a krate motor klass, the Houston Late Models. Same kar with a krate motor. If you add krate to the rules, then you subtrakt the "Super" from Super Late Model. It is no wonder why people do not want to invest in a SLM or repair them with all of the talk of changes. Why not leave the rules alone for a few years and show some STABILITY to the high dollar series.

What about letting non ABC body cars run with added weight? Crate motors, the guys that are spending 20-30k on motors could buy 4 or 5 dyno and keep the best ones.

When you drop hp an extra 10-15 hp makes a difference. What would be needed so that you wouldnt have to freshen these "high dollar" motors every 4 or so races? And if you do reduce the hp, why not take 200-300 pounds off the car?

People need to be careful about wishing for a "big" SLM field. I have seen a lot of TAMS, ARTS, and TSRS races in 3 years and I don't think there are 10 drivers total who are qualified and/or talented enough to race SLM's. We are not all created equal and right to get to drive at that level costs: skill, time, and lots of MONEY.

Wes

yep seeing as how there are so many talented drivers in slm right now? just look at the last sas race

I don't like the idea of making a crate motor mandatory. I kind of agree with the "leave them alone" crowd, after all they are supposed to be "Super" late models.

But, if you had to make a change to even out the less expensive motor guys with the big spenders, how about a 390 carb on all engines and a gear rule for all tracks bigger than a 1/4mi?

Kris Frost

People need to be careful about wishing for a "big" SLM field. I have seen a lot of TAMS, ARTS, and TSRS races in 3 years and I don't think there are 10 drivers total who are qualified and/or talented enough to race SLM's. We are not all created equal and right to get to drive at that level costs: skill, time, and lots of MONEY.

Wes

Wes,

Not even 10 guys good enough to race SLMs? There are more than 10 the run the local classes at THR who could step into a SLM and do very well. And I guess Hudak, Alexander, Heinaman, both Schilds, Beddoe, Gural, Pollard, Yale, L. Bendele, Horelka, Swenson, Mikulencak, Stapp, Teer, both News, Reeder, Stewart, Waddell, Barker, Cole, Oates, Moore, LaBarge, Garrett, Lehman, Walton, Meredith and probably many more that I just didn't recall right off the top of my head don't count?

I guess if you include the money into the equation then most of my list wouldn't qualify, but if you're talking about quality drivers then you haven't been watching closely enough.

Nick Holt

I agree with Bigjohn. Why are we trying to stay on the same page as the guys in the southeast and midwest? We are LANDLOCKED! Those guys arent going to come here and race. Not many of our guys go out of state and race. The car count for SLM in CC is going to be piss poor. Its not USRA's fault. Its not the driver's fault. People are running out of $$$$$$$. Complaining about guys with more $$$ getting more crates and dynoing to find the best one is stupid. Some of these guys are going to spend money no matter what. Those guys you speak of are already out powering everyone with the motors they have now. It is part of racing. Short term switching to a crate motor could actually hurt low budget guys who barely can afford a motor unless they can sell it. Think long term....

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is it that has changed over the last five years?

Five years ago you would routinely get 30+ cars for an SLM race around here. Now doesn't seem like we can even get 20 out on race night. Purses haven't kept up or what?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is it that has changed over the last five years?

Five years ago you would routinely get 30+ cars for an SLM race around here. Now doesn't seem like we can even get 20 out on race night. Purses haven't kept up or what?

Bud, it's not just the SLM car count. Car counts are down in just about all of the classes and series. The purses haven't changed, but something sure has. Your question is a valid one across the board.

I agree with Tommy33, after doing extensive changes to my car, had it ready to go last weekend and found a problem with one of my heads that may take me out until next year. But the question remains, what could be done to make the SLM's less costly? As ss99 has pointed out, car counts are down across the board, but the rules in the lower classes(local weekly classes) are pretty much cut to the minimum anyway, so i dont think for them the answer is with a rules change.

Archived