More USRA SLM cars

Bandit

At Octoberfast last year I clocked some of the TSRS and the Romco cars the ones that were leading at the time and the TSRS were about one second off the ROMCO leader at the time.I hope something is worked out so the car count will increase.I think the crates could merge with the others with a adequate weight break and wouldn't be as hard on the tires either.As I have said before the 400 to start is good if it is not already too late.Remember F-1 not many car to see only six rockets run around a track.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mona,

Don't sell it, come back next year and run with the guys... Heck for that matter run the rest of the year with the guys... You have matured so much this year and I would sure hate to see all your time and determination go down the pipes... You and Kelly could sure give them a run for their money...

Mark,

After last night I feel a little dizzy. Those extra circles are fun, but sure make you nervous while you are spinning. I can't believe I didn't hit the wall at all. I sit hear today and think back about my driving last night and know exactly what I was doing wrong. I guess that is where experience comes in. It sure was nice with Kelly and Missy out on the track with me. They are some great girls, excuse me women. At my old age, they are still girls to me.

I don't know about running in the roadrunner class the rest of the year. I am involved with a new project that will be taking up alot of my time. The new project will be announced in the near future at the track. I hope that we can get drivers involved with our plans. Believe me it will be fun and rewarding. I know that I can count on you. haha

We will see what the future brings.

Mona Turner

You are korrect there. It takes ability, desire and some lukk (sometimes a Lucky Last Name) to run at the top, but there are a lot of average people that work on their own stuff that run the Late Models, Trucks and Super Late Models on a small budget. That is not out of reach if you are realistik about where you are. Dreaming and being real is two different animals.

What is a SMALL BUDGET to you? SLM spends $600/race just for tires. Add everything up and it is expensive..... Your SMALL BUDGET TEAMS when they show up to race spend alot of money to race that weekend..... If you dont beleive it, buy a SLM and show everybody how you can race on pennies. I race in the truck series. I had a wreck @ HMP. By the end of the next race @ SAS I spent a total of $4300 to get it together,race and get back home. The SLM's are 3 times as expensive as the trucks. If your not footing all the bills for a race team in that series you have NO idea of what it costs. Just to do your PM on the car is expensive, hell its expensive on a truck and thats getting parts, fluids, etc at cost. IF you want to prove everyone wrong, the #51 SLM is for sale, its an awesome car. Buy it and show us how to run a small budget team so we can all afford to run a SLM.

I dont care what you say or who you are, a $30,000 motor is an advantage at any track, whether it be CC or SAS, it helps. NOt bashin anybody, but if you cant see this, you need to open your eyes. In previous years there were only a few guys around here with these high dollar motors, now theres quite a few with them. It's definately an advantage no matter where your at, might not be as big of an advantage at CC as at SAS, but its still there.

How is that an advantage over one that you build yourself and only spend $12,000? Same HP, just not a name brand. Or is it a MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO deal? I saw on guy with a Diamond earing racing, maybe everyone needs one of those also. Buy the way, who has all of these $30,000 motors that noone kan kompete against?

Look at the motor that Eddy Wallace won with in Houston this year, that motor has 3 wins at Kyle, set fast time at Houston a year or so ago, also I think has a win at Corpus, and several top 5's. He had this motor for sell for $8500, and I know he wouldnt sell it for less than he had in it. Ironically the heads on that motor are cheaper than the heads on my street stock. :( So no you dont need a 30K motor, and from what I have heard, you cant flat foot a SLM at Kyle, Houston, or Courpus, so I would say that you dont need all that horse power.

Would these create motors be sealed like the FORMER ASA, because if so and that is the type of motor that would be mandated, it will knock out most of the people that do their own motor work, and build the other stuff they need, instead of buying everything(the small budget guys). Which I think EWR fits into.

When and if I get my street stock running again and gain enough experience to move up, I most likely wont, and the funny thing is I dont think its the money, I would do without somethings and figure out something on the side for some extra cash if needed. The time it takes to run a SLM, the r&d, and learn all the adjustments on those things to be competitive is extensive, and I have set my priorities to spend time with my wife and kids. Besides, the kids are Karting age now and I have to have time to get them going.

I would have to agree with the stability issue. The current talk of rule changes has prevented our team from making any plans for next year. Unless there is somthing set in stone soon, you can forget about any new cars coming in, because nobody wants to take buy stuff that will illegal in a few months. If USRA donates me an engine I'll run anything. :D I do agree that there are some areas that can be improved on when it comes to controling expenses, for example, limit the RPM, shocks, lighten the weight of the cars, two race rule on the tires ( I don't know how you would do this) .

So Arts22 and Kirby Kaldwell are two people pushing the krate motor deal.   How many SLM races have they run kombined?  That is who to thank for trying to eliminate the SLM.

For your info, I have not talked to anybody..... The first time I've said anything about it was on this thread(they asked our opinion). Kirby has a SLM and has 2 real expensive motors, whats he suppost to do with them if they go to a crate motor, nothing knowbody will want them. Since you know how things should be why dont you ask Terry D if you can show him how to get a better car count..... If they change the rules or not it will up to Terry and hopefully the SLM drivers..... But it wont be up to you!

[edited out by Nick Holt, 7/28/05]

My dad & I own a SLM & right now it is just collecting dust, but it's by our own fault. We have 2 high $$ motors having the final touches being done to them, but we are short the funds for the ABC body. We got into the SML series because we wanted to go faster, it also costs a hell of alot more to do that. I have no regrets. SML is the top rung of TX asphalt racing and should be kept there. If we wanted to spend less we'd move to a different class. I agree with the stability issue of the rules, it's a scarry feeling investing alot of $$ into a motor not knowing if it's going to be legal in the short future. Tires are also a big expense, it would be nice to find a way to lower that cost. But as they say you've got to pay to play. These are just my opinions right or wrong, no disrespect to anyone.

Jason Ray #77

Fossil Fuel Motorsports

I think stagger's opinion reflects mine exactly. This is a good example of the ABC only rule keeping a car parked. Don't get me wrong, the ABC rule brings conformity which is good, but you can't afford to alienate any cars.

Please dont get me wrong. I'm not bashing USRA, it is a great series & we are lucky to have it. I might be wrong but I think you can run a NON-ABC body one time with a pretty heafty weight penality. The body is a 99 monte carlo "dated in age" but still in good condition. My feelings twards racing is "race to win" and we could go race right now with the old body but with a weight penality & the dated less than aero friendly body compared to the ABC bodies I know I have no chance to win against an already elite group of cars & drivers.

I just found this thread

My 10 cents on Bandits post about SLM more affordable

First let me clear the air

"So Arts22 and Kirby Kaldwell are two people pushing the krate motor deal. How many SLM races have they run kombined? That is who to thank for trying to eliminate the SLM." by coshercowboy

Kowboy just so you know I have ran 5 SLM races in the past 1 1/2 years and 3 ASALM races in the same past 1 1/2. 20 + Houston Late model races before that.

To say that I am pushing the crate is partly true but tryng to ruin the series I support and race in, way off.

I was contacted from the higher up the food chain and we got into a long conversation about whats wrong and some thoughts on what to do with the SLM.

The ASALM series (crate motor 400 HP) subject came up knowing that I raced there last year.

It is pretty clear that a big part of the problem is that beast under the hood (20K to 30K+ motor cost). And yes I own one cowboy.

Some people are saying leave it alone, wait and it will get better. Don't hold your breath. There are a lot of parked SLM in Texas, some sitting some for sale. There are also a lot of people who would race in the SLM if it wern't for the motor cost, some of which posted on this thread.

Wouldn't it be nice to be racing on the same page as what other series are doing. Last I checked stick and ball sports have pretty much the same rules across the nation.

I would love to be able to race in the Texas series and be able to go and race at other tracks without having to change the car. Big dream are is it closer than we think?

Facts: ASALM shows 50+ cars as stated by Big John

Car can be built brand new for around 40K

2 tires per race are cheaper that 4 or even 8

Higher engine reliablity = more cars finishing races

Many weekly series have adpoted the ASALM rule package

ASALM will support the series $

Many drivers would race in sth SLM if it weren't for the motor cost

Ron Varney (owner of ASALM) bought the Southern Allstars Series

ASALM South divison is starting out of the SAS crate class

It would be awesome to be able to have the best of both worlds. A stong SLM field and a strong ASALM field as a touring show in Texas racing on the same day.

But lets face it, there is not near enough people to support that. Much less people that can afford a SLM.

I am going to continue to race in the SLM what ever they do. But here is the deal, if I blow up a motor you wont see me againg for a long time ($$$$$).

This is a sticky subject that no one is going to agree on accept the fact that something needs to be done to cut cost.

My ten cent that may only be worth 2

The USRA Super Late Model rules allow the "concept" engine configuration. That configuration is a less expensive alternative for a racer that wants to run the Super Late Model series on a tight budget. Quite a few Romco and USRA races have been won using the "concept" engine. The "concept" engine can be built successfully by the local engine builders. It is a reliable and super-competitive alternative to buying a high-dollar 9-to-1 compression motor from the nationally recognized engine builders. Even some of the sharp USRA Super Late Model teams build their own concept engines. Some racers get a lot of personal satisfaction by building their own engines.

If you want to run wet-sump crate engines, then join the Houston Late Model Series.

If you want to run competitively for minimal cost in the USRA Super Late Model series, then run a "concept" motor.

The motor in my car is a concept 20K + counting carb and pumps.

How much was the used concept motor for sale from Richardson Racing? Thats a whole other thread.

I agree a concept is cheaper but is 20K afordable and resale of a concept is peanuts.

Money (and a good driver) is still going to get you to the front. A crate motor class policed correctly sure does even up the field. I was able to run with Bobby Streme, Joey Lagano, Travis K. and Matt Kenseth in the asalm knowing they were not out hp me just out driving me. By the way Travis and Matt were very suprised with how quick the cars were. Streme took his ASALM as is and raced in some SLM shows finishing in the top 10.

I have some questions on crate engines what or who gets to go into the motors lets say you broke a push rod ? What about at the end of the year when the motor needs to be freshened do you through it away and buy a new one? What if your at the track and break something can you go in and fix it or do you load up and go home?I will agree cost has to come down but i don't believe that crate engines are the way to go. I think what needs to happen you need to figure out how to put people in the stands and be able to pay better purses.Im not knocking any one or any series I just think trying to run crate engines is putting a band aid on the problem where do you go after crate engines?

"Look at the motor that Eddy Wallace won with in Houston this year, that motor has 3 wins at Kyle, set fast time at Houston a year or so ago, also I think has a win at Corpus, and several top 5's.  He had this motor for sell for $8500, and I know he wouldnt sell it for less than he had in it."

This is an example of a "concept" motor built "in house", concept motors can be expensive, but I dont think the 20-30k concepts are being built in house.

From the classified section:

1- Mission Racing dry sump concept engine. 1- Long's Machine dry sump concept engine. Top of the line parts. Bowtie block, dart heads, Blake carb., T&L rockers. CV products pulleys and alternator. Included is power steering reservoir and pump. Both engines have won races and have track records. Both are race ready. $13,500 each.

You have a very good point Pacecar, I would say they we were reasonably competetive with a concept engine. I too would also like to know who rebuilds and or fixes crate engines and what is the cost of a rebuild?

Archived