Super stocks @ HMP

rocket55

So to boost the car count and support something I love......I'll make a deal with (5) Super Stocks (sorry Outlaws this doesn't apply to you), that being I'll pay half of your registration fee. If that sounds like something you want to take me up on PM me or email me at metallizedmotorsports@gmail.com and we can discuss the details. I honestly don't know what the purse is but in the past its been $1000 w/ 10 cars I believe, so you put up $50, fuel up your car and truck and get your a$$ out here this Saturday and......show me some you gifted drivers haven't lost your touch. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based upon the recent results of the May 19th race at HMP racing is alive in Texas. However, the Super Stock class still very much lacks car count; there were three of us Saturday night. One opted to leave. So this is a callout to all racers: please either PM me or my son (rocket55) the contact list(s) of those racers who you know used to race either CTS Super Stocks or HMP Pro Stocks. (Those lists can also be posted in this thread as well.) If we can't meet in person then we can either Skype or FaceTime but we have to do this with as many racers as possible. To be clear, the goal is a consistent 15 cars.

I'm very much confident that we can put together a set of rules that we all believe will allow for competitive racing. Also, we will be posting a spreadsheet that compares the different sets of rules and what we have evaluated.

Lastly, a major shout out to my son for 'winning' his first race! So proud of you! (And yes, I did have you coming off of Turn 2 on that restart! lol)

Well that wasn't much of a "win" but thanks for the accolades.....either way I had a great time, car ran great(although I have much more progress to make on my suspension) and met very knowledgable people willing to help our team. It's going to one intense race once the rest of the sitting SS come out. For all the poeple using this thread just to get info about the class....I feel confident saying that we'll be running the CTS rules close to a "T" next race. Lots of good talks came of our post drivers meeting, I love the idea of the crate cars only having the mini clutch plus the -200# weight advantage

Also a BIG thanks to the TARS staff, everyone's efforts made the event run smooth and stayed right on schedule. 

5 hours ago, fastmontgomery15 said:

The 15 SS will be there if we're going to go back to the old CTS rules with some adjustments. With that being said I think I may be able to get some of the other SS to make that race. That's SS class cars only.

This is how we will rebuild the class...

13 hours ago, fastmontgomery15 said:

The 15 SS will be there if we're going to go back to the old CTS rules with some adjustments. With that being said I think I may be able to get some of the other SS to make that race. That's SS class cars only.

I agree with Hunter and we have been wanting to race with the CTS rules if we can get back to real SS cars . As long as rules and work schedule allow we would be there . #28 Monroe Motorsports 

13 minutes ago, DriverX said:

81 Super Stock, ran at Kyle for 3 years straight. Ran at Houston last year. Converting to Outlaw Stock currently. 

Dillon? Sorry not up on the screen names on here. If I'm correct, you and 2 other open motor cars lapped the entire field in a 25 lap race last year. Then few super stocks showed next race and had to run with outlaws. So I'm really not sure what your crate motor post is about. 

Just now, DriverX said:

For the sake of the class change the rules. If a weight change is what fixes it then ill be shocked. All of the cars that people were worried about the speed have moved on to another class. 

For the sake of the class? That didn't seem to matter as it was getting wrecked last year. Whoever lobbied for mini clutches in the open motors planted the RIP sign on the class. That was another $700 only a few were willing to spend. (the 3 that lapped the field)

These guys are trying to put back together what was destroyed in one season. Donnie sits right in the middle of this now and I think he has a pretty good handle on the history of CTS rules and what was working, and why a couple of cars had an advantage. Not due to the crate motor, but due to additional silly body or chassis weight breaks. I just pulled up the times from the last season at CTS even with that, they are very close (one tenth). If they didn't have the stupid body and rear clip rule they probably would have been identical. Anyway I'll put my money on these guys to get it right. 

39 minutes ago, MatKam10 said:

Switch it back to CTS rules and see how many show up in July. Simple fix. If none show, that’s your answer

How do we pull in the old HMP Pro Stocks and make them competitive? I was one and I know what changes I made but others may see it differently. And, HMP did not allow the leaf sprung cars to run so what would be needed to make the G-bodies competitive with leaf sprung?  (CTS allowed third-link. Is that the answer?)

The 81 (Webster) & 19 were the only ones that ran at HMP during the 2014 season. 81 was 602. 19 was Open Motor.

This is a great conversation but we need to make sure it's as inclusive as possible.

7 minutes ago, radracr said:

How do we pull in the old HMP Pro Stocks and make them competitive? I was one and I know what changes I made but others may see it differently. And, HMP did not allow the leaf sprung cars to run so what would be needed to make the G-bodies competitive with leaf sprung?  (CTS allowed third-link. Is that the answer?)

The 81 (Webster) & 19 were the only ones that ran at HMP during the 2014 season. 81 was 602. 19 was Open Motor.

This is a great conversation but we need to make sure it's as inclusive as possible.

David Webster’s pro stock was always in the top 5 at CTS

I can already see this growing quickly, in a short time we'll have 10 cars committed to being there in July. Lets also think what will happen when there is 10+SS and only a hand full of Outlaws....I'd think some would convert back to SS, pay the cheaper entry and be more competetive. 

I'd say ditch the 3-link rear suspension. Keep it simple....your rear suspension must match the front clip. 

1 hour ago, rocket55 said:

I can already see this growing quickly, in a short time we'll have 10 cars committed to being there in July. Lets also think what will happen when there is 10+SS and only a hand full of Outlaws....I'd think some would convert back to SS, pay the cheaper entry and be more competetive. 

I'd say ditch the 3-link rear suspension. Keep it simple....your rear suspension must match the front clip. 

I believe most of them gave outlaw motors in them by now. All the 8 car needs to do us put his weight back in his car and it will be a SS.He also has a open motor..I know the 15,14,44,49,55,22,28 maybe the 8,95,12,24 and the lime green Camaro I don't remember what number he was would be there so there already 12. But they need to show up.

7 minutes ago, fastmontgomery15 said:

I believe most of them gave outlaw motors in them by now. All the 8 car needs to do us put his weight back in his car and it will be a SS.He also has a open motor..I know the 15,14,44,49,55,22,28 maybe the 8,95,12,24 and the lime green Camaro I don't remember what number he was would be there so there already 12. But they need to show up.

Nice job guys. I think you can pull this off. 

2 hours ago, MikeReininger said:

Nice job guys. I think you can pull this off. 

2 hours ago, fastmontgomery15 said:

THIS is progress! Yes, we CAN do this! If we can get 3-5 of the HMP Pro Stocks - bulls eye! Scotty9 (Pro Stock) had said he'd make that last race. Perhaps he'll be there in July?

Keeping my eye on this thread which has been polite and constructive for the most part. 

I'm sure there is a reasonable solution to be found if folks will agree to stop advocating for rules that benefit their own car rather than supporting rules that will build the class back up to its potential. 

From my perspective, with no particular bias one way or the other, the rules should revert to the CTS rules since that set drew a bunch of cars and the competition was fairly even with several cars with a shot at the checkered rather than just two or three of the better financed teams.

Yes, I know. Some will howl, but it's better than having no class at all.

Nick

UPDATE:

There is quite a bit of dialogue going on - offline. Racers are talking to racers. All agree that with a simpler set of rules 15+ cars can show up.

A common theme is: 602 crate = 3100# w/mini clutch; open motor = 3200# w/o mini clutch. 55% left. 49% rear. That's it. No other 'adjustments'. K.I.S.S principle.

As promised, a side-by-side comparison was done of the rules that most are talking about. See attached. You can't include all the rules; only those that seem to be the issues.

Those are the rules as had been downloaded and archived.

I have been in touch with Raymond. Just waiting on when a meeting can be held.

Rules Comparison.pdf

Judging by over 3800 views, racers are interested in any updates.

We're working hard to forge ahead. We're continuing to reach out to TARS to nail down final details. (Details have been emailed.) There have been a number of  racers that have been very consistent and motivated to make the July race a spectacular race! Specfically, a good field of cars. But the common response is that the racers just want to know how to set up their cars. I completely understand. We're a month away and racers need to know. Some PM. Some text. Some call. Most are calling their friends, who are calling others.

At this point in time, I won't name (out of respect) the cars that are on the cusp of committing but we're very close to double digit car count. If not well past that. That means, ladies and gentlemen, it ought to be a helluva race! Super Stock battles all over the track! From a battle for the lead to a battle to be the last one across the finish line.

I say 'cusp' only because racers want to KNOW that it will be a fair race.

As an aside, I did talk with one HMP Pro Stock today. Their car would fit the 3200# w/ Open motor. After that it's weight %s and chassis set up.

Lastly, I am not on FB so I don't keep up with what's going on there.

UPDATE:

I have spoken with leadership at TARS. They have made it clear that the marked up version of the rules that were sent would be accepted. These are the rules that were discussed with various racers. The intent was to streamline the 602 versus Open motor starting weights and weight breaks; there were a few 'lessons learned' from other sets of rules.

That said, a minimum of (8) Super Stocks must show. A minimum of (8) Super stocks must race. For whatever reason, if (8) Super Stocks fail to race, the cars that showed will once again run with the Outlaws and more importantly - the Super Stock class will be cancelled. Discussion over. After that, any current Super Stocks would have one of two choices: Convert to Outlaw or ... Therefore, it is imperative that racers prove that they can come together, present a case to the series promoter and follow through.

To be clear, I cannot speak for TARS but the following was submitted for review and approval:

>602 crate = 3100# w/ mini clutch.

>Open motor = 3200# w/ MIN 10" clutch

>55% left; 49% rear. No adjustment for stock firewall/floor pan.

>No weight penalty for all tube chassis from front clip back.

>No weight break for stock steel body

>'Cars and Frames' section already stated that 25# was required for OEM replacement 2"x4" Camaro tube front clip.

All other rules are as previously stated.

Please be sure to follow rules updates on TARS's website as TARS will officially release a revised set of rules.

Many racers needed a month to get their cars put together. You now have that month. Let's make this happen.

From the racers that I have talked to I have 98% confidence that at least 8 cars will show up. I would like to see double that, if not more. Nearly all said they would not register in advance so it will be important to see registration very busy on race day!

Folks, we have to make this happen or the landscape of asphalt 'Stock Car' racing will be changed. Racer's spread the word.

Lastly, I truly believe TARS wants a 'Stock Car' class; but the racers have to want it too.

I have no dog in this fight but I have followed along with this thread.  I have to say Radracr and others that are  working for this I commend you and truly hope that everyone that has committed to you or said they would show up if the rules work out that they show up and give you a great field.  You guys have worked hard for this and it looks like its paying off.

Archived