And Then There is This...

Jamie

We don't often agree on much as a collective group when it comes to racing. Some like asphalt; some like dirt; and some like drag racing. One thing most of us do agree on is how overreaching our government is. If you don't think so, then maybe this article will change your mind.

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08/epa-seeks-to-prohibit-conversion-of-vehicles-into-racecars

EPA has way TO MUCH AND WANTS MORE power . if we all went back to horse and buggy the e,p,a would want to control what we feed our horses .EVEN go back to the stone age days when nick was young busting rocks into wheels .the dust would be covered under e,p, a rule ......... the EPA will have bigger fight on their hands against racers and hod rodders

Everyone that can read this should:

1. Be outraged but not surprised. Racing, generally speaking, isn't regulated much by any level of government that I know of. There are requirements imposed on tracks but not racing organizations, car builders etc...
  2. Share this far and wide. Post on blogs, Facebook and/or other racing forum boards that you frequent.
  3. Call/write your representative stating your displeasure.
  4. Call/write your local sanctioning body to get involved, they will have a lot more clout than any singular voice.
  5. Call/write your local track for the same above reason.
  6. Call/write your local government.

http://jalopnik.com/the-epas-crackdown-on-race-cars-explained-1758111546

It is not a matter of "if it will or won't happen", this is done and it is on it's way to becoming a finalized regulation as soon as the final draft is written. The EPA just came out this afternoon and said that they meant all along you couldn't take a vehicle that was produced for the street and modify it's emissions systems even if the vehicle would only be used for competition purposes. Every street stock, grand stock, bomber and even Dwarf cars (they have emissions controlled bike engines) is now illegal to own or operate. When the EPA makes a regulation it goes to a public review phase (which has already passed on this law) and then a final draft is passed and it becomes law with no congressional oversight. This deal is DONE.

I'm not sure how you can say that when they are quoting the EPA.

It is clear that SEMA is leading the battle and I'm thankful for it. Honestly, I hadn't heard of any of this until yesterday and will be paying close attention to what happens.

Jamie, the EPA spent all day yesterday altering their official wording on this issue, yesterday morning the line was much more along the line of "we are changing our interpretation of a previous ruling to exclude the previously understood competition clause". Regardless of exactly what the EPA says now to quell the uproar for the first time the EPA is officially on record stating that their is no such thing as a competition clause for any vehicle that has ever had an emissions sticker and regardless of how you cut it that vehicle is now understood as illegal. People can choose to take the EPA's word that they "don't intend to come after your racecars" or they can choose to dig in and fight.

Everyone knows how much power the EPA has, there is no reason for them to pick this battle unless they intend to utalize the results and in this case those results would be the elimination of the competition clause applying to any street vehicle converted into a racecar.

The source I read stating there is no such thing as a competition clause was a direct quote from an EPA rep and I can't find it today but scan over this

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/images/EPA-Memo.pdf?utm_source=Details+of+EPA%27s+LeMons+Law+Proposal&utm_campaign=LeMons+Law+Brief&utm_medium=email

Seems we are back to one of my original posts...

Everyone that can read this should:

1. Be outraged but not surprised. Racing, generally speaking, isn't regulated much by any level of government that I know of. There are requirements imposed on tracks but not racing organizations, car builders etc...
  2. Share this far and wide. Post on blogs, Facebook and/or other racing forum boards that you frequent.
  3. Call/write your representative stating your displeasure.
  4. Call/write your local sanctioning body to get involved, they will have a lot more clout than any singular voice.
  5. Call/write your local track for the same above reason.
  6. Call/write your local government.

Archived