Your opportunity to post #1 need

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you take the high points to the back, both as a racer and a spectator its a whole lot better show. Watching a good driver work his way through the field is exciting to the fans. Missing the previous weekend means you start behind high points. I also hope SOS looks at this.

Point average...not point total

All employees should be uniformed

Work on audio in the pits. Hard to hear and you need somebody on the mic ALL night hustling the cars to the line up area. Will move the show along much faster.

Practice is supposed to be before the races so you have time for adjustments

I have to agree with some . Be nice to have practice before the races . Do if any adjustments need to be made they can be made

As for the points starting in the back . That could cause some problems . Due to some of the slower cars like myself lol. Them the fast cars coming from the back if the slower don't move over . We all know they are going to move them there self . That just racing from what I seen and experience.

All staff with Stx should be in the same uniforms so people can know who they are so if they have questions or what .

That Lil spot that looks like it merchandise spot let sell stuff for the fans and kids .

During intermission have foot races for the kids or the Lil 12 volt truck race. Just something for the kids to interact

If you can't afford putting more speakers in the pits for us that park further back I think a free and easy fix that we have is our raceceivers..announce what class is coming on track and maybe a two to go. That would let the guys in line up know when to fire up and be ready also

Starting the field totally inverted by point average always creates excitement. But, as has been pointed out, it can also create lots of bent metal as the slower cars who started up front get run over or moved out of the way. We've seen that over and over whenever that starting line-up system is used.

On the other hand, starting the fastest cars up front can lead to a boring race and may not be in the track's best interest since the outcome of the race is pretty much decided before the green flag flies. Sorta boring some might say.

Here's a solution we came up with at San Antonio Speedway that worked well when I was NASCAR Chief Steward there in the 1990s.

1) Divide the starting field in half by point average.

2) The higher point average teams will start at the front of the field, but inverted by point average.

3) The lower point average teams will start behind the higher point average teams, but not inverted.

This puts the slower cars behind the faster cars and makes the highest point average cars pass the fast half of the field. It also puts the very lowest of the point average cars at the tail end and out of the way for a lap or two...

Wait!! There's more!!. Suppose you've been starting in the "slow" half of the field but have been getting better and better with every race. All of a sudden you find yourself in the "fast half" and since you have the lowest of the high point averages, you start on the pole! What an incentive to get better and better every week!

Anyway, I use this same method with the Lone Star Legacys and it works very well, just like it did at San Antonio Speedway 20 years earlier!

Nick.

I like that Nick and it's been mentioned that most of the STS classes don't have a huge dropoff between "fast" cars and "slow" cars. I know this year is set but if STS has a good 2016, can we expect a USMTS or ASCS type of race in 2017? Would be nice to see a special show at home again.

Nick I like your idea and I have seen this done before. Its like having 2 features at once. But what I read in this thread the point thing was to be used for heat races only.

The split point feature did work great and should be considered. Starting the fastest cars of the night on the front is boring. But Im not sure it works in a small field, hopefully that will not be a problem, so maybe the split should kick in after a dozen or so. How does that work with a 12 car field?

We could invert this way and get a fan involved also. Get some large foam dice , pick a fan from the stands to roll the dice and the number they roll is the number of rolls inverted. You could cover the 5 and 6 and stick a 3 over it if inverting 10 - 12 rows is too much .

I37 would take the top half of the heat and those cars would start the feature inverted by points average of the last three races. So the slow cars still started in the back but the fast cars were still inverted. I liked it this way.

Been a while but pretty sure this is the way it was done.

Archived