Who the devil ARE these Crazy Characters

Budman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REPLY TO GINGERBREADMAN:

#43 - Not Cecil Elliot.

# 3 - Not Billy Wade, M.J. Burton, nor Blackie Lothringer.

You mention Billy Wade. He owned and drove car #2 in the photo, at Longhorn and at Meyers Speedway on S. Main in Houston in '61 and '62 as best I remember. He then sold the car to Bill White when he went to drive in Nascar. Billy was the team-mate of David Pearson with the Cotton Owens Team in '63 and '64. He was Nascar rookie-of-the-year in '63 and won 4 races in a row in '64. This was of course before his tragic crash at Daytona in January '65, while testing tires for Goodyear during their R&D of the inner-liner "tire within a tire" for super-speedways. Nascar seems to have always wanted to keep a lid on this story.

Anyway, now when your favorite Nascar driver "cuts" a tire at 180+ and doesn't wreck, he owes a nod to Billy Wade. He paid THE BIG PRICE for them.

REPLY TO ALL:

Car #2 - - - (the rest of the story)

The car was built in Houston in the late fifties I think. It was built by Tony Foyt for his son ..... some kid nobody ever heard of who went by the initials A.J., for when he was in town in Houston to drive at Meyers Speedway. By 1960 the kid was driving full time up in the midwest somewhere, so Tony sold the car to Billy Wade.

This old photo seems to have sparked a lot of interest. What's next? Vintage car racing? I hope not!

I guess there are lots of us old greybeards still around draining the Social Security system dry.

Nick Holt

REPLY TO SCOTT:

Congrats - Your right on #43. Its JOHNNY DOYLE !

Regarding the driver of #3, I didn't know myself, had to ask around. Was finally told it was ED STARR. I know he drove at Speed-o-rama a few times. I indirectly confirmed this with his grandson DAVID STARR.

But I'm not here to argue with anybody. If you say it was BLACKY LOTHRINGER, who better would know than your dad. Please give him my regards, and let him know he was one of the HEROS of my youth.

I loved watching him and those other guys race every Friday night. As I said before, he was one of the most if not THE most popular driver with the fans. This has been a lot of fun. Hope all of you out there have had a little fun with it too. God bless all these drivers and their families, those that are still with us and those that aren't. Scott, e-mail me your info and I'll send you your prizes!

• 4 weeks later...

Buddy,

Thank you for your recent donation of $100.00 to the Baptist Youth Ranch. On behalf of the children and staff we appreciate your generosity and will be putting these funds to good use. Thanks to all of those who participated in your contest, it made it fun for all. Again thanks for helping make a difference in the lives of children.

God Bless you,

Jean Nesser

Baptist Youth Ranch, Case Manger

• 6 months later...

An interesting little tidbit of trivia. If you look real close at the "action photo" at the top of page 1, at the #43 car, you will recognize that the rear deck was fashioned from a 55 gallon drum.

and another .......................

Legend has it that the numeral 2 on the white 2 car was copied from the 2 used on a twenty dollar bill.

Many of these cars raced for years. That's because the raced them, and raced them hard, but rarely wrecked them. The incident pictured on page one was a relatively rare occurance. The 11 car driven by Buddy Jerkins in the background of the pic was built in 1949. I've seen a picture of it being raced as #550 at Pan American as late as the early 70's I think, a span of more than 20 years!

The pay was't very much back then but the pit pass was $1.00 and that is what it cost for the spectators to get in. I remember one night at the track in Round Rock behind the Star Club, the year was 1951 the car count was not great and I run fives races, won 2 and 2nd in the other three and got $25. Dick Peters won 3 and 2nd in the others and he got $25. Everyone didn't run all 5 races but they got $5.00 for each one they ran. There was no tire rule or racing fuel, the biggest expense was the Benzol that you bought at Grove drug store to add to the Ethyl gas. The fuel bill for a night was about $2.00 including the tow vehicle

Archived