Who the devil ARE these Crazy Characters

Budman

Let's have some fun during the remainder of this off-season. Be the first one to correctly answer one or more of the 4 questions below and I'll send you $25 for your trouble, per correctly answered question. In addition, I'll send $25 to your favorite racing-related charity or non-profit racing support organization (such as s.t.a.r.t or fascar). Post your answers/guesses here or e-mail me and I'll post them. Here is your first hint.

This photo was taken at Austin Speed-o-rama (later Longhorn Speedway) circa 1963.

Question 1: Who is the driver of car 43?

Question 2: Who is the driver of car 3 (behind/beneath 43)? He is unseen in the photo. He was busy doing

a quick check for loose lug nuts on the right rear of 43.

Question 3: Who is the driver of car 11, seen taking "the high road" in the background around this incident.

Question 4: Who is the driver of car 2?

Other than a flat left front on the 3 car, there was no harm nor fowl done to car nor driver in this incident.

(DISCLAIMER: Texas Speed Zone is in no way involved in this endeavor.)

P.S. Yeah, that's a real original Chrysler Hemi with 3 dueces in the 43.

Regards & Goodluck,

IT IS NOW SEVERAL MONTHS AFTER THE CONTEST ABOVE WAS HELD, AND THE DRIVERS HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED. THOUGHT I'D COME BACK ON HERE AND MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU SO IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW THEIR IDENTITIES I CAN SAVE YOU A LOT OF READING.

THEY ARE AS FOLLOWS: 43-JOHNNY DOYLE, 3-ED STARR, 2-BILL WHITE, 11-(IN BACKGROUND) BUDDY JERKINS.

post-2-1107835703_thumb.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REPLY FOR NICK:

Nope, sorry Nick. I will give out another hint though. Even though this photo was taken in Austin, none of the drivers in the picture are from Austin. That was the value of Friday night racing - - - Lots of cars and drivers from lots of different places. They'd go back to their home tracks to race saturday nights.

REPLY FOR NICK:

No again, sorry. (Another Hint) - - - Think North.

Paul Jett was a good guess. He always had my "Iron Man" Award. I watched him hang an accelerator going into turn one in a super-modified one night. He summer-saulted end over end into the pits. They sent him to Brackenridge Hospital to be checked out. He made it back in time to run the hobby class feature. After that track owner Louis Wusterhausen put up the big catch fence.

Car #2 had a great history behind it, but I'll save that for another time.

REPLY TO GINGERBREADMAN:

You're half right. But, in 1963 it was YOUNG man "Wild Bill White" from Temple Texas. He's Paul's daddy!

E-mail me your info and I'll send out your prizes. That's one down and three to go. Next hint (and this is a good one.) The drivers of 43 and 11 are from San Antonio. The driver of 3 is from Houston.

REPLY FOR PAPA:

You're right, but doggone it, Gingerbreadman got in just before you. You're also right about Don Fowler. He was probably there in the purple #12.

Incidentially, I hope someone reads this who's got an old picture of Wayne Neidecken. He was my personal favorite out there at the time. He was there every Friday night in his #99. That was before he moved his family from Abilene to Pensacola for a better racing enviornment. I read recently where he died a few years back. I'd love to post a picture in his memory.

REPLY TO PAPA:

No, not Waldo, nor Buddy Yantis. Waldo bought the #11 car along about '65, put a fiberglass T-bucket on it, painted it baby blue metalic and continued to drive it as #11. Buddy Yantis was probably driving the red #106 on the night this photo was taken, but he's not in the photo. BUT, your very very close with your "Buddy Yantis" guess. Try again!

REPLY TO PAPA:

Close enough. Its Buddy Jergins. I was a sas at couple of years ago and was told Mr. Jergins still makes most of the races there. He was a very popular driver with the fans. E-mail me your info at the address above and I'll send your prises. That's two down, two to go.

REPLY TO GINGERBREADMAN:

#43 - No, not Ricky Ware. He drove #550 (of course), but that was a year or two later.

#3 - No, not Buddy Rackley, nor even Buddy Evins from Houston.

Funny, my first name is Buddy. These guys were my namesake. They started a feature one night with Buddy Jergins and Buddy Yantis from SA, Buddy Evans and Buddy Rackley from Houston, and Bud Simpson from Austin, all on the same starting grid.

Buddy Rackley went through the fence at the north end one night. Tore up his car, but he walked away. I think he landed about halfway to Bergstrom field. Heck, I think even came up as a blip on their radar.

Archived