Sportmods on Asphalt

gen11

With the recent addition of Sportmods to the schedule at Kyle and a fresh faced promoter in Corpus, how many teams are committed to run at these tracks?

Both tracks seem to be committed to the class and have expressed interest in increasing payouts if the car count is there.

I am interested in hearing input from teams, spectators, and people that just want to voice their opinion on if this will be a success or not.

I will make sure to put on my thick skin before I read the responses, so don't hold back.

Also would like to get a true pre season car count.

So far, teams committed to running;

Corpus Christi Speedway Regularly:

23 Limerick

64 Arredondo

79 Beddoe

123 Limerick

four cars from the Monroe stable

Corpus Christi occasionally:

5 Gould

11 Kirk

Kyle regularly:

02 Sanford

5 Gould

7 Kaminski

11 driver yet to be named

28 Medlock

79 Beddoe

? Matt Robbins

? Don Krahn

Kyle occasionally:

23 Limerick

64 Arredondo

123 Limerick

? cars from Monroe stable

Made some phone calls at the beginning of January and the list of teams ready to race was much longer.

Hesitant to add teams from that list until they are verified on this thread.

Teams from central Texas area that are entertaining the thought of running at Corpus should go ahead and register your car and car number ASAP. Registration is free and the form is available online.

Central Texas Speedway (Kyle) registration cost $50 and the form is available online.

After fielding some phone calls inquiring as to my involvement with the tracks mentioned above, it is important to me that those of you reading this thread understand that I do not represent either track nor am I seeking "political position" or "public approval" of my efforts in promoting my class.

I just want to race with the best drivers in the fastest cars that my budget allows.

How is this for an idea. Abel and Brad Bush get together and make a points championship for SportMods. CC can have the same schedule but have 1 state points race a month that THR isn't running. And have a 16 race schedule. This would give both sets of drivers a big incentive to race both tracks.

Just throwing an idea out there.

Im working on it Cody,very good idea indeed. Ill let everyone know on the outcome asap and thanks for all the support from everyone. It looks like a very exciting and interesting year,lets get ready for some really good racing!

Poorboy, I'm not sure who owns the cars that I referred to as the "Monroe stable". There is probably more to that than I bothered to ask. I refer to them in that sense because I don't recall the numbers or driver's names for them.

I did have a very candid conversation with Abel via telephone and he assured me that the winds of change have blown through CC and they were structuring differently this year.

I will let them speak for themselves as to what changes are in effect.

Cody, don't forget to leave room for some road courses and a few dirt races in that state championship.

My two cents, the way we can promote this class is to get out their and interact with the fans and put on a professional show. If we as in drivers are friendly, curteous, and professional towards the fans and one another that goes a long way in promoting ourselves. I as a fan didn't like walking in the pits trying to talk with the driver or crew members because they always had something better to do than spend a few minutes to answer my questions or hear my commments. We need to be more approchable. I remember not very long ago whenever there were only 3-4 trucks showing up to race. Now there is a substantial amount of trucks racing. I believe we can learn from the truck class in building the Limited Mods up to a respectable car count. The trucks were very affordable and had rules that did not change from year to year. This is one of the pros for the limited mods because they are very affordable and have a set of rules that have been in place for a long time. The Limiteds utilize parts that can be had at the local parts store and that the average joe can replace over the weekend, this is something we need to promote. These cars are very fast and drivable. I mean 15.7 seconds on a 3/8 mile track is a respectable speed, "just my opinion". The other thing is that we need to talk with our fellow racers that run on dirt. Because the dirt tracks are pulling 20 plus limiteds nightly. Usually whenever I tell someone that I am racing my Sport Mod on asphalt they usually say that I must have deep pockets to run asphalt. They are usually intrigued whenever I explain to them the differences between the two set-ups. The costs differences are not that much different. I will back down off of my soap box but just wanted to express my opinion. I hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my point.

Thanks

Kevin J. Gould

But when they do they pay 2000-5000+ to win. Asphalt is lucky to get 1500 to win. I have often wondered why dirt tracks are able to do this and the asphalt tracks are not. Not trying to be a smart-a$$ or negative. But there seems to be a better purse with dirt , especially special big shows.

• 1 month later...

Season openers at Corpus Christi Speedway and Central Texas Speedway results:

CC Speedway March 23, 2013

79 Cody Beddoe

82 Anthony Monroe

64 Abel Arredondo

CTS April 5, 2013

28 Colt James

5 Kevin Gould

02 Bobby Sanford

This is not just top three results. includes all entries. :blink:

Suggestions anyone?

Just an observation from a fan and I am not trying to be negative.From what I have seen myself on dirt the Sport/limited mods can run two wide and sometimes three wide all night long through out a pack of 20 +.On asphalt it is mostly single file which after awhile has to be a little boring for the driver too. Don't get me wrong I love SAS and I watched races at CCS for 40+ years.But if asphalt tracks can't do something to have side by side racing it is going to be tough.It used to happen at CCS with 15+ car counts in all classes not that long ago.HMP seems to be doing something right maybe follow their model.

Well from my perspective you can race two wide at CCS. It just depends on who chooses todo it and if your willing not to be afraid of the wall. Our first race there was some side by side racing,as far as Houston look at the videos. Its single file as well sometimes,its just what lane we choose as a racer and how far your willing to push the envelope. But understood Arob,hope this helps with all involved. Come on out and try CCS with these sportmods and all others,I'm sure you will love it. By the way our last race Anthony and myself raced side by side for about 4 hard laps.

Bring both tracks together and work together. I got quite a bit of interest in dirt guys coming over to try it down here. So bring your cars on down and play this week

One suggestion is to bring the cars to the track and race. I know this sounds very straight-forward but its the truth. Maybe if everybody quits the wait and see approach and actually do something it would help. There are always a lot of "sayers" but very few "do'ers." I understand people are wanting to move up or using a wait and see approach. But the car sitting at home on jack stands is not helping matters. If you want any suggestions on why their is only 3 cars at each track how about first start by bringing out the car then ask the question. I usually just listen to other racers whenever everybody is talking and alot of the negative information I heard the last few weeks about CTS has been untrue. I raced there last weekend my first race on asphalt and had a very good time. The CTS crew and management have been receptive to my request and advice and yes I liked the THR crew and management but they are no longer there so lets move on. There are sponsors wanting to support this class but are waiting until they see more cars. The racers are going to have to take the first step. We can all make excuses on why we can't do this or that but at the end of the day they are just excuses. If I offended anyone I apologize but hopefully it got you out in the garage and getting the car back into race condition.

Thanks

Kevin J. Gould

One suggestion is to bring the cars to the track and race. I know this sounds very straight-forward but its the truth. Maybe if everybody quits the wait and see approach and actually do something it would help. There are always a lot of "sayers" but very few "do'ers." I understand people are wanting to move up or using a wait and see approach. But the car sitting at home on jack stands is not helping matters. If you want any suggestions on why their is only 3 cars at each track how about first start by bringing out the car then ask the question. I usually just listen to other racers whenever everybody is talking and alot of the negative information I heard the last few weeks about CTS has been untrue. I raced there last weekend my first race on asphalt and had a very good time. The CTS crew and management have been receptive to my request and advice and yes I liked the THR crew and management but they are no longer there so lets move on. There are sponsors wanting to support this class but are waiting until they see more cars. The racers are going to have to take the first step. We can all make excuses on why we can't do this or that but at the end of the day they are just excuses. If I offended anyone I apologize but hopefully it got you out in the garage and getting the car back into race condition.

Thanks

Kevin J. Gould

I fully agree with this! Don't be scared guys! Come on out and play!

Archived