Why do they turn left?

PAPA

QUOTE (NickHolt @ May 30 2012, 01:48 PM)

You think fancy pace laps by touring series is a new thing? Think again. Here we are on the parade lap at the Colosseum half-mile. We're the second chariot in from the bottom.

Only the best go 8 abreast!

I could be entirely wrong here....but aren't these guys fixin' to turn right?

I could be entirely wrong here....but aren't these guys fixin' to turn right?

They go left. It was a crazy time - no cages (except for the ones that housed the lions), not even a sissy-bar because the word "sissy" wasn't even in their vocabulary yet. There was little in the way of safety gear, even the rescue crew risked their lives.

Here's some vintage video....could it be Nick at 3:24? He's the only one I saw with a beard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwi3xROzpSE

They go left. It was a crazy time - no cages (except for the ones that housed the lions), not even a sissy-bar because the word "sissy" wasn't even in their vocabulary yet. There was little in the way of safety gear, even the rescue crew risked their lives.

Here's some vintage video....could it be Nick at 3:24? He's the only one I saw with a beard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwi3xROzpSE

NAH HE LOOKED MORE LIKE BUDMAN ..

In America cars turn left because the driver is on the left side - favorable ballast. They turn right in AU and England.

Horses turn left because that is the trained approach side - you mount on the left and the horse learns to be observant to that side. The side you mount on is due to MOST people being right handed and having the right hand free to bear reign (or weapon) while mounting.

The side a society chose to drive on when animal drawn carts (and subsequently cars) came along is more complex. In ancient times before cars or horse drawn we walked. In england it became customary to pass left - mainly as a defense (again the majority being right handed) this allowed a sword (worn on the left side) to be drawn and used if the passerby was non friendly! If the non friendly was to your left you would have a tangle in the draw. SO when they became mobile with vehicles the driving on left just logically followed. In Europe it was mandated to pass right to place those without vehicles (the lessor class) at a disadvantage (the cross drawn tangle) - in America it was purely random (and probably done simply to differentiate us from them limeys - lol) - either way we have come full circle from driving the way we walked to walking the way we drive - just walk into any WalMart and see how many people walk into the door and just stop dead blocking all progress in either direction!

In America cars turn left because the driver is on the left side - favorable ballast. They turn right in AU and England.

Horses turn left because that is the trained approach side - you mount on the left and the horse learns to be observant to that side. The side you mount on is due to MOST people being right handed and having the right hand free to bear reign (or weapon) while mounting.

The side a society chose to drive on when animal drawn carts (and subsequently cars) came along is more complex. In ancient times before cars or horse drawn we walked. In england it became customary to pass left - mainly as a defense (again the majority being right handed) this allowed a sword (worn on the left side) to be drawn and used if the passerby was non friendly! If the non friendly was to your left you would have a tangle in the draw. SO when they became mobile with vehicles the driving on left just logically followed. In Europe it was mandated to pass right to place those without vehicles (the lessor class) at a disadvantage (the cross drawn tangle) - in America it was purely random (and probably done simply to differentiate us from them limeys - lol) - either way we have come full circle from driving the way we walked to walking the way we drive - just walk into any WalMart and see how many people walk into the door and just stop dead blocking all progress in either direction!

When that automatic door doesn't work it just throws 'em all off!

Good post by the way.

And that my friends is a history lesson.

In school one of my professors suggested the reason we chose the left side to drive from is to keep the right hand free (70% of people are rightys) to smack the back seat drivers... can't do that as easily in a right drive.

Ahhhhh, my friends. LMAO!!!!!!

Nick, you know that to haul that piano around I have perfected the setup of the big bar even bigger spring. Got it straight from Mr. Bolles. ;)

Sorry Nick, no promod in my stable. Gotta good deal on a 48 packard sedan. Low miles hahaha

Tom, I can always count on you to entertain me.

R.i.p., j.t. "pappy" carpenter. I heard that name more than a couple times. Am I not mistaken thow, is pappy turning turning right? If the pic was backwards, wouldnt the numbers be backwards?

Note: see post on pappy.

Archived