Facebook

RBSF

I am, and I know many of you all are members of Facebook. However, I feel that sites such as Lone Star are STILL the optimal sites for tracks to post their info. I can log into ONE site and see listings of tracks, or topics, and/or gossip WITHOUT having to go to 400 different people's pages and liking or friending. I can't tell you how dissapointed I am with my own track's decision or de-evolution to localize their PR to just FB and basically abandon the web page. When I go to a track page, it is to read stuff on or about the track that maybe even actually happened recently. There are folks on here who take it on themselves to promote a facility by posting results. I READ them!

I do realize FB has it's purpose, I just don't know what it is. Keep racing here, on the web, in one place. I don't have to see what restaraunt you're at on here!

Can I get a WITNESS?? :lol:

I agree limiting yourself to one form of online activity is not the way to go. Facebook is a very powerful tool to drive business to your website, but if you don't keep your website updated it will do no good. FB is great at getting the word out in a hurry. A huge number of people use smart phones and tablets to keep up and not all websites are mobile friendly. PCs are declining and mobile devices are growing. I personally like the updates from THR on FB. No, they don't tell me where they eat lunch but I get info faster. Because I don't have a computer to check most of the day but my iPhone keeps me connected. Forums like LSSZ are great too because everyone on here likes racing. But I guarantee you that all my FB friends know I race and where, and how I did. So in the end they are all good and have their place in my quest to stay informed.

FB is great. No doubt about it. It's especially great from my point of view because some of hotheads, bashers and complainers have migrated to their own sites where they can bitch and cuss and moan to their 187 friends and leave the rest of us in peace. Yeah!

But on the other hand it is very disheartening when a track that LSS has supported for many years no longer posts here, choosing to post on their FB page instead. Kinda makes you feel like, well, crap. On the other hand, I am very proud that there are several tracks and racing organizations that do use the site to get their information out to the larger Texas (and beyond) racing community.

Some tracks may not realize that Lone Star Speedzone generates around 15,000 unique visitors a month as compared to their several hundred loyal FB and Twitter followers. Why they don't post here in addition to their FB page is a bit hard for me to understand.

Yes, Yes, Yes. I know some of you hate my guts because I moderate the site and don't allow folks to bash, etc. on here. To them I say, well, OK. Hate my guts, but this is the way LSS will be moderated as long as I'm at the keyboard.

Nick

Which track is it? I have NO interest in going to FB for information and I am sure there are plenty of others also. Sure there are those that do not mind going to FB but I would believe you will be leaving a lot of others out. My daughter signed me up for FB but I used it about twice before it got old. The same people posting about the same thing. "Just got up, had my morning coffee and getting in the shower". Unless pictures are included (ladies), who really cares??? ;) "Going to eat lunch". Unless you are buying for everybody, who really cares??? My wife loves it and I tell her she needs a better life because it is sad if you are spending a lot of time just keeping up with what everybody else is doing. Let the bashing begin. :lol:

You know what I call people that don't have or use Facebook...oldtimers...LOL...JK It is the current way though!!! Within minutes your message can reach thousands of people and more than likely it is being delievered directly to their phone; unlike a forum board where you have to go search for the information. I do, however, agree that using multiple outlets to reach the likes of "oldtimers"...JK again...LOL...and todays "connected generation" via Facebook and Twitter is the most effective way to promote one's product.

Not a knock because I know everyone has to generate income via advertising but I can post whatever I want for free via Facebook and Twitter as compared to paying for the same service somewhere else.

You know what I call people that don't have or use Facebook...oldtimers...LOL...JK It is the current way though!!! Within minutes your message can reach thousands of people and more than likely it is being delievered directly to their phone; unlike a forum board where you have to go search for the information. I do, however, agree that using multiple outlets to reach the likes of "oldtimers"...JK again...LOL...and todays "connected generation" via Facebook and Twitter is the most effective way to promote one's product.

Not a knock because I know everyone has to generate income via advertising but I can post whatever I want for free via Facebook and Twitter as compared to paying for the same service somewhere else.

You should be very careful standing in the infield at I37.

Signed,

Oldtimer :lol:

You should be very careful standing in the infield at I37.

Signed,

Oldtimer

Surely that was said in just as a joking manor as my post.

Remember when myspace was cool? Facebook has already had its day. My kids already call it loser book.

May be the case but it has paved the way on how we communicate. Facebook has been great for keeping me and my family in contact with our families who live thousands of miles away. How old are your children?

No Reb, Aztec has never been listed on here unless I make some pitiful attempt at results or something. Jamie, I understand your situation and your business and FB can and probably does work for you.

But as far as TRACK and RACING events, results, rainouts, that sorta info is best formatted and displayed and available on sites such as this one that serves a relatively specific REGION.

As I also said, I'm on FB and have family all over the country, but it isn't them I spend time with there, it's my racing family and that's how I've seen the trend to FB for tracks, but digging thru all the useless *&%^$ to find what I'm looking for is actually slower than if it were on here. I also don't need to be concerned with language some of my "friends" use freely on FB.

I also think the FB app on mobile devices is causing wrecks, just like texting. I may be an old-timer, but I look at it more as "experienced'. My day job involves communication technology, and I'm pretty sure that some of the advancements aren't always beneficial, just new and exciting. I would much rather surf, post, email with the benefit of a real keyboard for my aging eyes and arthritic fingers. So, to the facilities still using this site, please continue. Hell, use both, I don't care, but I will be looking on here.

No Reb, Aztec has never been listed on here unless I make some pitiful attempt at results or something. Jamie, I understand your situation and your business and FB can and probably does work for you.

But as far as TRACK and RACING events, results, rainouts, that sorta info is best formatted and displayed and available on sites such as this one that serves a relatively specific REGION.

As I also said, I'm on FB and have family all over the country, but it isn't them I spend time with there, it's my racing family and that's how I've seen the trend to FB for tracks, but digging thru all the useless *&%^$ to find what I'm looking for is actually slower than if it were on here. I also don't need to be concerned with language some of my "friends" use freely on FB.

I also think the FB app on mobile devices is causing wrecks, just like texting. I may be an old-timer, but I look at it more as "experienced'. My day job involves communication technology, and I'm pretty sure that some of the advancements aren't always beneficial, just new and exciting. I would much rather surf, post, email with the benefit of a real keyboard for my aging eyes and arthritic fingers. So, to the facilities still using this site, please continue. Hell, use both, I don't care, but I will be looking on here.

I read this in class while on break and I couldn't wait to get home to reply.

A track should be operated just as a business, correct me if I'm wrong, and by using multiple outlets they would be very efficiently getting their information out. It's not sorting through the BS that is the problem. I believe if anyone was that interested in knowing what information a track was putting out via Facebook, knowing that is their primary outlet, then there are ways to get that information instantly; ie subscribe to their feeds. I can't speak for everyone, but I know our laws state that you can't use your phone for anything but calling while driving; surely I'm not the only citizen in the city that abides by that. My point was that the information was being delivered instantly and not neccissarily being read at that same moment.

As far as spending time with family via Facebook, Skype or any other social media or web based method; if that is all you have to get you closer, FASTER; then that is the method I will be using until the next time I get to spend time with them in person.

One more point about Facebook being a fad. I would hardly think that EIGHT HUNDRED MILLION users justifies calling something a fad. It will grow, evolve and develop with the times as we have all seen with the multitude of versions they have released. Just to put that into terms, that would make Facebook the THIRD largest country in the world behind China and India but more than the good Ol USofA.

I'm not saying that Facebook or social media is better than forum boards or any other outlets. What I am saying is that the business, or tracks, would be wise to use as many outlets as possible at one time.

Nick,

This is not a malicious attempt to coerce anyone from anywhere and that needed to be said in public. Anyone that thinks that or this is some shameless plug for Facebook or my site on Facebook is not correct and I apologize to anyone that thinks so. I have been an active member of LSS for several years now and I ATTEMPT to promote the sport we all love by posting images, trading links for advertisment or offering solutions to problems to try and better our sport. Without racing, I cannot take pictures and share my passion with the racing family; OUR racing family. Whether you know me personally, just know of me and me the same to you, I consider you all a part of my racing family.

well i must be an oldtimer .....i still use the min cell phone ..no text .just call that's all .i don't need or want all that other stuff .....facebook ....i don't pay much attention to it ....

And that is fine; that is why I am trying to say using multiple outlets is better.

Ah...... GREAT forum discussion!!! You have good points, my friend.

THAT is what it is all about; discussing and trading PoV without derogatory comments.

Some tracks may not realize that Lone Star Speedzone generates around 15,000 unique visitors a month as compared to their several hundred loyal FB and Twitter followers. Why they don't post here in addition to their FB page is a bit hard for me to understand.

Nick

You said it yourself sir.

Archived