Saturday Night Cup Races

Pacecar

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/10/backseat-d...night-cup-races

■ 18 October 2011 | 10:19 PM

Backseat Drivers Fan Council calls for more Saturday night Cup races

Members of the Backseat Drivers Fan Council say NASCAR needs to run more races at night and that series officials better get the championship trophy ready for a first-time winner, among other things. Here’s what Fan Council members had to say about a variety of subjects this week:

MORE SATURDAY NIGHT RACING

Ten of the 38 total Cup races were held on Saturday night this year (eight points races and the two exhibition races). Fan Council members were asked what they thought of that total:

53.5 percent said they want more Saturday night races

34.7 percent said 10 total Saturday night races is perfect

11.8 percent said 10 total Saturday night races is too many

What Fan Council members said:

# I grew up on Saturday night racing so I would be happy if more than 1/2 of the races were run under the lights....

# I'd much rather watch a Saturday night race. I think the cars look better under the lights and it's just a more convent time for me to watch.

# The thrill of a night race is just that. They are only a thrill if they're a few of them. If there are too many, they become less special. Would love to see 2 night races in the Chase however.

# Night races look so awesome on television, and Saturday races are easier on the teams because it gives them a day at home. Sunday afternoon races go directly against NFL and NASCAR loses.

# I LOVE Saturday night racing. But, it also leaves my Sundays seem empty. Plus, I'm a big supporter of local racing and by racing on Friday and Saturday nights it could affect our grass root racing.

# LOVE, LOVE, LOVE night racing!!!!!! Plus, if there's rain they have Sunday to make it up instead of coming up with excuses for missing work on Monday (which my boss never believes-good thing he loves racing too:)

# I HATE Saturday night races. I'm going to Langley Speedway on Saturday nights no matter what for the local races, and when cup competes I hardly even watch. I get home about midnight, fast forward the dvr to about the last hour and watch that (if I don't fall asleep). I don't have time to watch the whole thing, which kills the drama.

# If it were up to me they would ALL be Saturday night races!!! Think about how many races I could go to if I traveled on Friday, attended Saturday, and traveled Sunday! No more vacation? No problem! Also the ones I could not attend, I could watch on Saturdays and not compete against the NFL games.

# There should be more Saturday night races. I attended 3 races this year and they were all night races. Sunday day races do not give enough time to get home and recover before returning to work.

# Love night races. However (Saturday) night when I was freezing, I was wishing that Charlotte was not a night race.

# Personally, I think the charlotte night race should become an afternoon race. It is COLD in the stands in mid October in NC.

# I enjoy Sunday racing, so I don't want to see a bunch of night races.

# They should do more Saturday racing when football season arrives

# Too many because they hurt local short track racing, which usually has a Saturday night program

# I'm so busy during the week that it's extremely hard for me to stay awake during the night races. It's unfortunate because I love night races.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/10/backseat-d...night-cup-races

# I grew up on Saturday night racing so I would be happy if more than 1/2 of the races were run under the lights....

To this person I would say:

As you knew growing up, your local short track probably ran 99 percent of their races under the lights. Head on back there.

Could the majority of NASCAR fans be any more disconnected with the majority of local circle track fans? If NASCAR wants to run night races thats fine, let them run Sunday night when nothing else (besides one football game a week) is going on. They can run one Bristol race and the Winston (or whatever its called now) Saturday night but besides that throw the local tracks a bone.

Could the majority of NASCAR fans be any more disconnected with the majority of local circle track fans? If NASCAR wants to run night races thats fine, let them run Sunday night when nothing else (besides one football game a week) is going on. They can run one Bristol race and the Winston (or whatever its called now) Saturday night but besides that throw the local tracks a bone.

Unfortunately, no. When it comes to circle tracks, I think there are race fans, then there are NASCAR fans (Cup/Nationwide/Truck in particular). They are not synonymous with each other. I have several NASCAR only fans - if I mention I went to a local short track (dirt or pavement), it's usually met with an uninterested/blank look.

Maybe local track should go to sunday afternoon

The 1/2 mile track that was in Nazareth PA (where my avatar pic was taken) ran Sunday afternoons (usually in the early spring, before school let out), then ran Sunday nights during the summer into fall.

There were too many tracks running on Saturday nights, and they got a good field of cars from all over on Sundays.

.....but that was then.

An ingenious promoter might look at this as a marketing opportunity....Install TV, preferably near the beer stand, and show NA$CAR race during your own event .....

Not sure if it's been done with races, but at Dixie and Rome Speedways in Georgia (North of Atlanta) they had a big screen installed so fans could keep track of the World Series when the All Star Sprint Cars were in town.

This was 1991 during the Dixie Nationals.

There was a night race Saturday night? I was too busy trying to count the fans in a PACKED OUT HOUSE at HMP! You can't say local Saturday night racing is hurting when there was a CHASE race on a saturday night and the stands at HMP were FULL!

Unfortunately, I think that's the exception now, not the rule.

Unfortunately, no. When it comes to circle tracks, I think there are race fans, then there are NASCAR fans (Cup/Nationwide/Truck in particular). They are not synonymous with each other. I have several NASCAR only fans - if I mention I went to a local short track (dirt or pavement), it's usually met with an uninterested/blank look.

Agreed.

It will be interesting to see how NASCAR spins their low ratings and low attendance figures after the economy recovers.Every time I see or read their responses to the problem,all they can spit out is the "bad economy".When they figure out they have lost most of their true fan base will they take steps to rebuild their minor leagues,or is it too late.If you look at the height of the short track asphalt late model,including it's touring series,you will see it peaked at the same time NASCAR's top divisions peaked in attendance and ratings.Instead of franchising the sport and controlling it's direction,it has let the owners go their own direction for drivers.I too thought the diversity of drivers from different forms of motor sports was cool at first.I know everyone will say it isn't so,but when the influx of sprint car and other drivers came in the asphalt late models were doomed.Jeff Gordon,Tony Stewart,Kasey Khane,Ryan Newman,etc...were taking all the headlines.Racing short tracks now is just a hobby and not a stepping stone anymore,unless you are already wealthy.The IRL seems like a better stepping stone to the Cup series now than stock cars.

I may be flat wrong,but if I am right...what a shame. :(:angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived