Safety belts: ALERT

RBSF

I put a new set of belts in Flipr (the rollover simulator) for the Friday night show with the Young Guns at RPM, and learned a valuable lesson that I want to pass on: They didn't fully release under load! The two young drivers were effectively TRAPPED by the failure of the crotch and left side to slide off the tongue. How does this happen, I wonder, so I did it myself, same results no matter how I adjusted them, the center and left loops would not come off under load. (hook and latch style). The following day I replaced them with another top name brand: SAME RESULTS!! I am not going to open myself up for a liable suit, so I won't divulge the brands, just pass on my observations from multiple real-life tests.

So, here is a suggestion for you drivers: you can't test your belts inverted like I can, but you can test them by buckling up nice and tight, lean forward and push up with your legs as hard as you can to put a strain on them similar to being inverted, and pop them. They should basically explode off you. Please take time to perform this simple test, it just might save your life......

I also understand that the hardware may "break in" over multiple closures and the jostling they are subjected to in normal race activity, so yours may work just fine. I personally feel that safety belts shouldn't require a break-in period, so PLEASE do yourself a favor, humor me, and do this painless test. Let me know the results.

PS, I did find a style that worked flawlessly, it's all about the tongue design and material (narrow and hard, respectively)

I did what you said. I leaned forward and pushed up with my legs as hard as I could to put a strain on them........and $h*t my pants.

(j/k, trying to humor you...)

lol. I only laugh 'cuz at my age, that is something I can emphasize with … unfortunately.

Don't think that is a concern with the Cam-lock units

That's what I've heard also, but have no proof. I don't see many cam-loks on dirt tracks, when they get dirty they reportedly don't work well. I'd sure test them.

Now, the pants-poopin', that's funny right there!

I'd like to think so too, but...... Test yours, and /or look for the style that have a hard, narrow tonque that looks like it was stamped out, not moulded.

I am not prepared to take on SFI, or any of the big boys, I am simply sharing a scary observation.

I will not ever drive a car with cam lock belts. I flipped a sprint car and the car stopped upside down. I got some sort of fluid on my gloves during the wreck and I could not get a grip to twist and unlock the belts because of my weight pushing against them so I was trapped. That is a horrible feeling.

In response to Hobbyfan,

Here is something that wil ensure your safety during trying times.

Unfortunately, it is the camlock system, but a quick email query would get you information on a good old fashioned latch system.

No word if they offer the submarine strap in this application..........................

post-21-1308614130.jpg

I wound up upside down with the cam lock belts and they released perfectly. The thing I didnt like about the cam lock belts is that I could not see the physical connection when I buckled up. Years ago when I ran mini sprints I had a set of belts(the other style) that the latch lever had a small gap between it and the buckle. My arm restraint got underneath it and unlatched the buckle. Luckily it was in the pits before the race. I bought a new set of belts after that.

All good stuff, thanks for reading and responding. It's not really a "brand", but the design and materials of construction, and some failures that were a bit costly for me and the integrity of the rollover device. I believe what I experienced, I did NOT want to change a bunch of belts, nor defame a product line. I just want you to realize that not all are created equal, and you CAN perform an easy test to prove them out for your own benefit. I just happen to have a machine that goes a step further than most, and I count on it to work every time. Really hadn't thought of it as being a research and developement tool, but it was this past weekend.

I wound up upside down with the cam lock belts and they released perfectly. The thing I didnt like about the cam lock belts is that I could not see the physical connection when I buckled up. Years ago when I ran mini sprints I had a set of belts(the other style) that the latch lever had a small gap between it and the buckle. My arm restraint got underneath it and unlatched the buckle. Luckily it was in the pits before the race. I bought a new set of belts after that.

I always put my arm restraints over the buckle followed by the shoulder straps. That would keep the arm restraints between the shoulder straps and your stomach and keep the restraints from flopping around by the latch. Better now they have the extra strap on the latch that velcros down and keeps the arm retsraint from getting under the latch.

I will not ever drive a car with cam lock belts. I flipped a sprint car and the car stopped upside down. I got some sort of fluid on my gloves during the wreck and I could not get a grip to twist and unlock the belts because of my weight pushing against them so I was trapped. That is a horrible feeling.

The cam lock I have has a pronounced release lever on it and makes it very easy to release.

One other item I like about the cam lock over the "old" (traditional?) latch & lock is I wear arm restraints. And many times, the thickness of the 2 extra arm restraint rings I had to hook up made it diffcult to line up and latch, but it's much easier with the cam lock.

i had a set of cam locks many years ago .....i got rid of em after they came unlocked three times during the year when i hit em with my elbow when i spun either to miss someone or on my own ,,,scary ..i knew another driver had the same problem ..maybe todays cam locks are improved .but i still wont buy em ..

Ont thing to mention as anyone whos landed upsidedown knows its very important to know your belts instinctively because upside down with the fear of fire can disorentate you so badly you can loose even left to right direction.It similar to the firefighting training in a fire filled room. "WHERES THE DOOR? "Thats what that simulator is good to show.Just needs a smoke bomb added for a really scary ride.

Anyway...... Who has actually checked their restraint system? Done the little 1 minute test. Don't assume it will work, take a bit and prove it. Also, don't assume that just because it's certified that it has been tested. The deeper I dig, the scarier it's getting..... I'm not an alarmist, just a family man.

Anyway...... Who has actually checked their restraint system? Done the little 1 minute test. Don't assume it will work, take a bit and prove it. Also, don't assume that just because it's certified that it has been tested. The deeper I dig, the scarier it's getting..... I'm not an alarmist, just a family man.

i will be trying this before my car hits the track again.. ive been almost on my lid went down the front stretch on my left door nerf bar kept me from going over.. but my first thoughts were releasing my belts.. thanks for posting

A suggestion was emailed to me by a veteran late-model driver to put the anti-submarine(crotch) loop on first, then the shoulder loops. It's worth trying, he and others have had good results with the release. Thanks Dave!

Archived