NASCAR adding more and more Fri and Sat nite racing

NickHolt

Almost as if telling local race tracks to shut down, NASCAR is promoting their Friday and Saturday night racing in a big way.

On on hand they claim to support the local racing community and on the other put them out of business by competing directly with them!

Here is the PR piece from TMS.

NIGHTY, NIGHT: Nighttime NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series racing make their debut at Texas Motor Speedway and marks the first night race for both series at “The Great American Speedway!” The O’Reilly Auto Parts 300 Nationwide Series race will kick off the historic weekend of night NASCAR racing on Friday, April 8, and culminate with the running of the Samsung Mobile 500 under the lights on Saturday, April 9. Nighttime racing has become a popular trend as the 2011 Sprint Cup Series schedule includes 10 races held under the lights during its 36-race schedule. The Samsung Mobile 500 will mark the first one of the season. See what drivers expect as they race under the lights for the first time at “The Great American Speedway!”

Well, I sold my April 9 tickets to TMS because it is a Sat. Race. My wife and I agree we would rather spend that Sat. Nite at CC speedway. And the money we save is a bonus. Come on down and support short track racing in Corpus Christi and watch TPS begin their 36 th season.

I guess the money crunch is hitting the big guys and they feel the need to poach spectators from the little tracks getting rich off sat. nite racing! LOL!

With 52 weeks of potential Saturday night racing and only 2 weekends of racing at TMS, any smart track would schedule around the TMS schedule, after all would you really go to THR, HMP, CC on Saturday then drive 200+ miles to TMS for a sunday race ? Me thinks not ! Any real Nascar fan is at TMS camping and having a real good time, other wise your a short track local race fan and don't care what takes place in Nascar or at TMS. Just RACE.

With 52 weeks of potential Saturday night racing and only 2 weekends of racing at TMS, any smart track would schedule around the TMS schedule, after all would you really go to THR, HMP, CC on Saturday then drive 200+ miles to TMS for a sunday race ? Me thinks not ! Any real Nascar fan is at TMS camping and having a real good time, other wise your a short track local race fan and don't care what takes place in Nascar or at TMS. Just RACE.

Started to say about the same thing about making it an off weekend for local tracks but you stole my thunder...& I was always there by Thursday anyway...(I also read somewhere that local tracks have thier best attendance the first few weeks after a Nascar race has been in the area.) If I'm not going I can set the DVR.. go to the local track and watch at my chosing...yea technology!

When life gives us lemons -

We create an ad push that emphasizes our local track will provide constant updates of the race via either PRN or TV monitor in the announcers booth (or try to get a Video sponsor to provide two flat panels hung low on the catch fence - rental stores love these temp ad opportunities - I have two offices with beatiful home entertainment systems in the waiting room at no cost to me).

There is a difference between being a NASCAR fan and being a RACE fan.

I will be at the corner of Trouble & Mayhem at TMS. Oh yes maybe make it to the track a bunch too. Its all about camping, racing, garage passes, and seeing what kind of action may come our way. Cheers!

I hate to say this but about the only chance I get to watch a nascar race are the night ones. We are so busy with the kids in sports, drag racing, land speed racing, and slamming down the river on kayaks and stuff that we dont have the time to watch nascar races. In fact I have not watched a nascar race this year.

I will be putting my race motor from 2005-08 in my suzuki samurai. That should be cool.

Cool? THat will tip the Sam onto it's nose on brake and do back flips on throttle!

Whats a Samurai weight - 125 lbs wet?

Whats a Samurai weight - 125 lbs wet?

FORGET THE SAMURAI....... you have not met NEON WILL i suppose ...he does not weigh 125.soaking wet wearing his fire suit with his tutu ...lol....sorry Will just a LITTLE .. shinny joke little buddy .....

Edited by HiTech

When I got married I stood 6" at 20 years old and weighed 116 now I weigh close to 300. I can relate. Having to be in bed all time & wheelchair packs on pounds.

6"?

[self Delete of politically incorrect joke]

Almost as if telling local race tracks to shut down, NASCAR is promoting their Friday and Saturday night racing in a big way.

On on hand they claim to support the local racing community and on the other put them out of business by competing directly with them!

Here is the PR piece from TMS.

NIGHTY, NIGHT: Nighttime NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series racing make their debut at Texas Motor Speedway and marks the first night race for both series at “The Great American Speedway!” The O’Reilly Auto Parts 300 Nationwide Series race will kick off the historic weekend of night NASCAR racing on Friday, April 8, and culminate with the running of the Samsung Mobile 500 under the lights on Saturday, April 9. Nighttime racing has become a popular trend as the 2011 Sprint Cup Series schedule includes 10 races held under the lights during its 36-race schedule. The Samsung Mobile 500 will mark the first one of the season. See what drivers expect as they race under the lights for the first time at “The Great American Speedway!”

Nick, it appears a lot of folks just don't get it. The big picture looms large, but is only seen by open eyes. My thought is the casual fan will quite often stay home and watch the tv'd race, when forced to choose between the two. Now, how do "local tracks" schedule around the television? Answer is, close down. However, for the sponsors, sometimes darkness covers the ever increasing empty seats at the "big time" events, so they don't recognize less and less interest. :rolleyes:

You know RETrott has a point. It got me to thinking. Its a bummer that people work so much and that time is so valuable these days because there are alot of other unused hours other that Saturday nights that are available. I guess it is just a product of our society. People work to dam much. What ever happened to racing during the weekday?