Woods Brothers WIN!

txtom

I loved that finish...can you believe I bought a Trevor Bane T-shirt at TMS back in Nov. For $5 after it was announced he was moving to Wood Bro. 21 ! I only wish I had it autographed!

It's after midnight here in Germany and a while ago some neighbors in our apt. Asked us to turn down the TV...not NASCAR fans I guess. Man, what a race.

That Glen and Leonard were there to celebrate put it over the top for me.

Anyone that knows and talk with me about NASCAR knows what a David Pearson fan I was/am.

A great win for the classiest family in NASCAR.

yep i either drank too much or swear that was an old torino body crossing the finish line. It was great.

That Glen and Leonard were there to celebrate put it over the top for me.

Anyone that knows and talk with me about NASCAR knows what a David Pearson fan I was/am.

A great win for the classiest family in NASCAR.

For Tom: Here's a little blub from NASCAR PR about some advice Pearson gave Tevor Bayne before the race this morning.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Feb. 20, 2011) – 2011 NASCAR Hall of Fame Inductee David Pearson met Trevor Bayne this morning prior to the start of the Daytona 500. Hours later, Bayne, a 20-year-old rookie, sent the Wood Brothers to Victory Lane in the Great American Race.

In 1976, Pearson took the same team to Victory Lane in the Daytona 500. Bayne’s famed No. 21 carried decals honoring David Pearson for his Hall of Fame Induction. Pearson left the track shortly after the race started to drive home to South Carolina.

David Pearson: “Yeah, I was listening to it on the radio in the car. That’s good. I’m proud of them. I figured they had a chance after seeing that boy race in the 150s (Gatorade Duel). I talked to him (Bayne) this morning. I told him to keep his head straight and not to do anything crazy. I told him to stay relaxed. That’s the thing; stay relaxed. I knew he would because he was relaxed in the qualifier. I’m proud of him. I don’t understand what has taken them so long to return to Victory Lane. The car has always been capable.”

boring race for the most part ..knew some motors were going to let go ...but that finish was something else though not anything fancy.just to see that 21 car back in the winners circle is priceless ....only team left from the good old days with more history behind them than anyone ......

That's it! I'm done! NASCAR is OVER! I had to work yesterday, but I watched the race off the DVR this morning and it was one marathon commercial with a little racing from time to time. Forget the fact that you have a high-banked 2 1/2 mile track that has just been repaved after 31 years, with NASCAR COMPLAINING that the speeds are too high! Something here just doesn't compute!

Forget NASCAR forcing the RACE TEAMS having to bare the brunt of the expenses to SLOW the cars down by having to buy expensive wind-tunnel time to make the bodies more aerodynamic to COMPENSATE for having to drag an anchor behind them all race long, I.E., RESTRICTOR PLATES!

As if that wern't enough, explain to me how a rookie can get a win in the season opener and NOT be the points leader? He's won the biggest race of the season and is 39th in POINTS?? IT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!

Sincere CONGRATULATIONS to TREVOR BAYNE and especially the WOOD BROTHERS for being back in DAYTONA's WINNER CIRCLE after 10-years. (and CONGRATS to Mikey for getting another Daytona win on the 10th anniversary of his first Daytona 500 win).

I sincerely wish Trevor Bayne all the best, but whatever he does in the future with be without me supporting NASCAR in any way! I've been to over 140 NASCAR Cup events over the years, and now I'm DONE with it all! The only race I watched last season was the Daytona 500, and it was a disappointment too, but nothing like this - The winning driver is in 39th place in Points and they're GOING TOO FAST??!! I thought that's RACING was about, going fast! I'll see you guys in the Texas Racing History forums, celebrating RACING when it was about RACING and getting all the speed you could get from the cars, not SLOWING the cars down and goofy, nonsense point systems!!

GOODBYE NASCAR!! And if you ask me, I'll likely tell you what I REALLY THINK!!

I am sure I speak for all the drivers, crew chiefs and shop employees when I say that your viewership will be sincerely missed.

Edited to add: Look at the bright side - since you did not elect to draw points in the Sprint Series either - you are TIED with the Daytona 500 winner!

Edited by jwmbishop

I am sure I speak for all the drivers, crew chiefs and shop employees when I say that your viewership will be sincerely missed.

Edited to add: Look at the bright side - since you did not elect to draw points in the Sprint Series either - you are TIED with the Daytona 500 winner!

Very true, and very sad at the same time!!

Sorry I can't let this go just yet!

OK, here's how it's supposed to work - It only works this way after the FIRST race of the season, the Daytona 500 - you look at the race results, the 43 cars and drivers in their order of finish - then you look at the points next to it - with a few minor exceptions they should be pretty much the same - for instance, if the driver who led the most laps didn't actually win the race, theres a difference - so on an so on.

I don't really care how this "new and improved" points system actually works, but please explain to me how a driver (Trevor Bayne) could actually run the ENTIRE 200 laps of the race and be the FIRST to cross the finish line NOT be in first place in the points - and to actually have ZERO (0) points for that win?? AND actually be in 39th place in the points?

Sorry, there is no LOGICAL mathimatical progression that gets those numbers - It's almost like some liberal's idea of sports today - soccer and little league games with no scores, and everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season! IT'S ONLY FAIR! Then these poor kids get out into the real world and find out for themselves how it REALLY is! Trevor Bayne and the Woods Brothers team are the winners here, and a job well done to them! NASCAR is the loser here!