Woods Brothers WIN!

txtom

please explain to me how a driver (Trevor Bayne) could actually run the ENTIRE 200 laps of the race and be the FIRST to cross the finish line NOT be in first place in the points - and to actually have ZERO (0) points for that win?? AND actually be in 39th place in the points?

Simple - he is not eligible for Sprint Cup Points because his priority and choice was to compete for Nationwide points. Just like the Sprint Cup drivers who compete in the Nationwide and Truck series earn no points if they chose Sprint to be their priority. Wood Brothers is leading in owner points. For any Nationwide or truck drivers a cup race is a money race only. He knew that going in.

I don't think anyone at NASCAR saw this coming! Their push to end the start and parks and to keep Sprint "ringers" from stealing the NW and Truck show may have been too soon as a start and park became the winner! And that was the only hope FOR a start and park in the first place! Even if the offers pour in and woods brothers now finds themselves able to fund a season - the driver in order to have a run for the cahampionship would have to be someone other than Trevor. Don't know what (if) the policy is on changing your division....

But I do tend to agree. In light of the goal, the points eligibilty change seemed a good idea. In the current light - not quite so. Just stiffled a HUGE carreer oportunity to move up a level in the name of making the upper level encroachment fair. Was supposed to filter downward competition - not upward! But how can something that has never happened before hold a lot of weight when thinking of probabilities?

Thanks for that info - I had heard something about the drivers having to choose a series to compete in, but honestly didn't care enough about the idea to read more about it at the time.

There was nothing wrong with the points system that NASCAR had used for decades - a single point system to encompus a 36 race season, not a 26 race season with an "almost starting

over" 10 race season tacked onto the end of it. Sure, no one is going to come from 10th or worse to win the season in those last 10 races, but almost every season there is someone

"out of the chase" who excels during those last few races, and someone "in the chase" who suddenly drops to 10th (or now, 12th, place). Under the complete 36 race season points

system, that excelling team can overtake that dropping "chase" team and move into the top 10 and end up on the stage at the awards presentation. Now, there's no real incentive to

push harder at the end of the season for those out of the chase. And I thought the chase format was supposed to end the dynasty's? - Explain that the Jimmy Johnson! THAT's really worked well!! First of all, the only reason the Cup drivers were running in the NW and truck series anyway was because they could steal the show, and the people who couldn't afford Cup tickets could still see their heros racing - Those poor NW series guys never had a chance to excell because the big boys always stole their thunder. If there were 10 Cup drivers in their NW race, the NW guys usually had to settle for 11th place or worse because of it, and they have to try to live off the little money that paid them - the Cup boys didn't need that money - But the main reason it was allowed was to fill the stands for NASCAR, just like the Restrictor Plates do for Cup races - you fill the stands with people who want to see lots of possibly bad wrecks, and the the race teams, not NASCAR, suffer for it. How much money was thrown away yesterday in the "BIG One?" How 'bout the green, white, checker restarts - everyone knows they have that one last chance to move up and more often than not, it causes more accidents - look what happened to Dale Jr yesterday. Sometimes you simply run out of laps, and that's just life. Yes, I'm an old-fashioned guy and I enjoy old fashioned things, but there's an old addage to consider - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Like I said earlier, NASCAR started dying right after Dale did, and it's gone straight down ever since!

I don't really care how this "new and improved" points system actually works, but please explain to me how a driver (Trevor Bayne) could actually run the ENTIRE 200 laps of the race and be the FIRST to cross the finish line NOT be in first place in the points - and to actually have ZERO (0) points for that win?? AND actually be in 39th place in the points?

You can only earn points in one series. You have to select that one. You then can't earn points in any other series but the one you're electing to run for the championship for. This was to protect those series from guys coming down from other series, and making it harder for guys who run the series every week to run legitimately for a championship when theres only 2-3 races a year cup guys aren't snagging all the points by winning. The goal is ultimately to make it less appealing for Cup guys go to down a series every weekend and try to win both championships. The thought process is you take away the incentive from them running a lot of races and the lower series will become more of a breeding ground for talent, and making it easier for start-up teams to actually start in the Nationwide series and not have to fight the big name cup-teams who have infinite funding and attract all the big sponsors.

SO to win the race, earn zero points, and finish 39th points is possible this way.

Trevor Bayne elected to earn points in the Nationwide Series Championship. He cannot earn points in the Sprint Cup Series, or Camping World Truck Series. Also not earning points in Sundays Cup race were: Steve Wallace, Travis Kvapil, Robert Richardson, and Joe Nemecheck (not sure which series these guys are declared in.)

Trevor Bayne was the highest finishing racer of the group of drivers not earning points in the Cup Series.

Wallace (40) finished 20th

Kvapil (41) finished 32nd

Richardson (42) finished 38th

Nemecheck (43) finished 39th.

Sorry I can't let this go just yet!

OK, here's how it's supposed to work - It only works this way after the FIRST race of the season, the Daytona 500 - you look at the race results, the 43 cars and drivers in their order of finish - then you look at the points next to it - with a few minor exceptions they should be pretty much the same - for instance, if the driver who led the most laps didn't actually win the race, theres a difference - so on an so on.

I don't really care how this "new and improved" points system actually works, but please explain to me how a driver (Trevor Bayne) could actually run the ENTIRE 200 laps of the race and be the FIRST to cross the finish line NOT be in first place in the points - and to actually have ZERO (0) points for that win?? AND actually be in 39th place in the points?

Sorry, there is no LOGICAL mathimatical progression that gets those numbers - It's almost like some liberal's idea of sports today - soccer and little league games with no scores, and everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season! IT'S ONLY FAIR! Then these poor kids get out into the real world and find out for themselves how it REALLY is! Trevor Bayne and the Woods Brothers team are the winners here, and a job well done to them! NASCAR is the loser here!

Obviously he wasn't racing for points and had nothing to loose... One way to look at it. He had no intentions of racing for the Sprint Cup points championship nor the rookie of the year championship. He elected to run for the glory and the seat time. This was brought about by everyone and their dogs complaining about the Cup guys ruining the Busch/Nationwide series and stealing championships from the up and comers.

So if a cup team is not a contender for the chase they could still race in and win the Nationwide title,is that correct? That might be intresting to some teams except how does that affect the locked in top 35 in points that does not have to qualify to get to race?? Seems a conflict of rules.

So if a cup team is not a contender for the chase they could still race in and win the Nationwide title,is that correct? That might be intresting to some teams except how does that affect the locked in top 35 in points that does not have to qualify to get to race?? Seems a conflict of rules.

No - being a chase contender has no affect on the new '1 series rule'. You can only earn points in 1 series. Kyle Busch can still run as many Nationwide Series races as he would like and possibly win the most in the series again this year, but because he as elected to earn points in the Sprint Cup Series, he won't earn any points in the Nationwide Series, thus not be in competition for the championship.

Elliot Sadler can run as many Camping World Truck Series races as he would like, but because he's elected earn points in the Nationwide Series, he could run a full Camping World Truck Series schedule, win 10 races, and still have ZERO points in that series.

Trevor Bayne could run every race in the Sprint Cup Series, win 6 of them, and still have ZERO points. HOWEVER, NASCAR has said you can elect to change your series, but you can't get points earned previous to your submission to change your elected series, but keep credit for the win. So if Bayne decided to run the rest of the Sprint Cup Series, he'd have 1 win, ZERO Points going into Phoenix. He'd earn point starting at Phoenix. If he missed the chase, but was eligible on wins for 11th or 12th, the win at Daytona would count towards that.

Archived