DAYTONA 2011

Budman

To me boring is defined as "same old thing" - like the 43 car field all running in one pack.

How can something we've NEVER seen before (two cars drafting being faster than any other number) be considered boring? In the past the whole pack was bunched - this breaks them down more than any other thing NASCAR has done with the aero package (and don't take that to mean I think it was planned this way!). The drivers will have to make split second judgements that they never have had to consider before, as WHICH two cars seem to also be part of the equation in addition to making sure your draft has enough room to follow when you do make a move and the spotters will have to also consider the second car in THEIR calculations. There were FOUR grooves going at one time and some laps saw top speed over 205!!

Sorry - I found the race quite exciting - the only boring part (besides the format taking any distance factoring from the run) was the idiots at FOX did not show one single clocked pit stop up close so that we may see firsthand the differences under the new rules. Given that the two car and the pit stops were the top issues on NASCAR dot com and the announcers only "discovered" the two car phenomonon at lap 20 and never covered the pit stops - or pit process changes - they obviously did not do ANY homework, or even remotely take the fan's interests or knowledge/curiosity into consideration.

Boring? I don't think so - but maybe you should have tuned to "live to Dance" for your excitement. JR even liked it after wrecking out so JR nation should be all happy!

I enjoyed it. something different. Nascar will be mandating a pressure relief valve in the cooling system so cars wont be able to run behind another car so long without the risk of overheating is last I heard

That and set diameter on hoses, and a "restrictor" plate of sorts behind the nose giving all cars an equal and specific maximum radiator opening. In other words the driver will have to consider his current and max temp when planning his moves. Reading the car IS part of driving skills so I think this is a MUCH better approach than merely making em all run a smaller carb plate!

someone is going to get hurt ....i see more wrecks coming .....tell you the truth i didnt like it ..

Umm thats true no matter what the rule book says. There will always be wrecks and there will always be the chance of getting hurt. This year we are recognizing the 10 year anniversary of the death of a man who came on the scene with statements of "that boys gonna kill someone with his rough driving" - he was and still is held up to be hero and did in fact kill someone while rough driving (blocking to the wall). How unfortunate it was himself. How fortunate it was not the driver he took out.

If they reduced the carb plate no one will ever wreck or get hurt again in a sprint cup race?

Sorry but wrecks and getting hurt are not as related to the quality of the race or the rules in place as to the decisions the drivers and crews make under the current conditions.

I thought the race was great.These guys claim to be the best in the world and now a new twist.They race with a partner.Guys like Hamlin or Kyle Bush have to learn the world doesnt revolve around them.Had Hamlin stayed the course he would have finished 2nd rather than whatever he did.McMurry was smart enough to understand that and his team won. ( Kirk and Jamie.If you want to win in this race you better be ahead at least 10 laps in your team.

Even the drivers were pumped up.

At any rate, I did watch the shoot-out and watching a whole bunch of two car packs beats the heck out of watching ONE 43 car pack.

Same here - but as I was home and going nowhere I did knock back a few Coronas (too many judging by Sunday morning) so I may not be the best one to play by play the race! lol

WOW, if you guys thought that was exciting to watch then I have some painting to do and you can come watch it dry if you like. There may even be some runs in it for some more action. Heck I might even break out 2 rollers so it will go faster.

2 by 2 by 2 by 2 was total crap. They did NOTHING in that race. Sure 1 pair would pass another pair. Wow that was cool to watch. But there isnt anything exciting about that.

I liked the pack racing where guys would get shuffled to the back and then go all the way to the front 3 laps later. Where a car could jump out after getting a decent run and make a pass. Cars wiggle out of shape and then save it because of the aerodynamics of the cars around him. A car could come in after race and not 1 panel is untouched. Not tore up, but you could tell that car had raced.

Now I didnt say I liked the single file line up and go racing. I hate that. I said PACK racing. Im like to see 2 or more wide and 40 cars filling up 15 or so rows. Real racing.

Thats what they need to get back to. If the season keeps this going you will see the fan base only get worse. You may have liked this race because it was differrent. But it is going to get very boreing very fast.

I just see one more nail in the NASCAR coffin.

I liked the race but I wouldnt call it exciting but then Daytona is not like Dega...oh how I wish it was.

just liked it cause it wasnt a single line of cars going around the track till the last 3 laps. somethin a little different not what we want all the time. no big story here

lol. Don't take it that I mean it was THAT exciting! Especially if its GREEN paint! Watching fish eyes grow is rather a high point too!

After all the runs were too short to do anything to show how long the twosies can last. In the 500 they will have to pack it up (lol) - can't sustain the twosies for the whole race, even less after the cooling system changes - I expect we will see both - the difference being in the run back to the front after falling off and maybe grabbing some distance after greens. But the long runs will still pack up. I don't think we've seen a replacement - rather a supplement to the driving style needed to win.

We'll see Sunday to be sure (not sure that the duels will part em as much as the 500 will).

The changes they made aren't going to fix it. I think they will have to go a little further. Doesn't seem that entertainig, more like watching a bunch of lady bugs during mating season..if the 500 is like the shootout you will need plenty of beer or a pillow.

Here ya go. Is this something more to your liking?

Click ----> HERE

Back then, if you had a "Chevy", your car was skinned with a REAL chevy body and had a REAL factory chevy engine in it. Likewise for Ford, Chrysler, etc., etc.

Unless your name was Smokey (or Junior or Ralph or Lee or [fill in the Blank]________) - then you could bet that "real" chevy body, or "real" Chevy engine had a few umm non factory surprises hidden in the metal!

WOW, if you guys thought that was exciting to watch then I have some painting to do and you can come watch it dry if you like. There may even be some runs in it for some more action. Heck I might even break out 2 rollers so it will go faster.

2 by 2 by 2 by 2 was total crap. They did NOTHING in that race. Sure 1 pair would pass another pair. Wow that was cool to watch. But there isnt anything exciting about that.

I liked the pack racing where guys would get shuffled to the back and then go all the way to the front 3 laps later. Where a car could jump out after getting a decent run and make a pass. Cars wiggle out of shape and then save it because of the aerodynamics of the cars around him. A ike car could come in after race and not 1 panel is untouched. Not tore up, but you could tell that car had raced.

Now I didnt say I liked the single file line up and go racing. I hate that. I said PACK racing. Im like to see 2 or more wide and 40 cars filling up 15 or so rows. Real racing.

Thats what they need to get back to. If the season keeps this going you will see the fan base only get worse. You may have liked this race because it was differrent. But it is going to get very boreing very fast.

I just see one more nail in the NASCAR coffin.

.. i agree .......but i think with cars haveing to double up like they did saterday to pass .is going to have alot more wrecks look at the speed differents....wow.....chances of someone getting hurt goes up ..jm bishop .i aint so dumb as to think .racing is safe ...

I agree it is different than what they have been doing. And with the change it may stop the 2 x 2 racing as much as they were. But I really think they need an aero change to get back into the good ole pack racing. I might watch the 500 unless they start this same thing again. I just couldnt get into it, and my wife, which likes to watch them kept begging me to turn the channel. But I stuck with it to give it a chance.

Fingers crossed for Sunday.

Archived