thunder hill raceway

krusty_rusty

I want to know if I was the only person dissapointed in San Marcos on Saturday night? I drove 2 hours to watch races that counted every yellow flag lap and had virtually no passing, except in the first heat of the TSRS race. I don't know if they got behind because of their 30 minute fly over or what. It was a great idea, and I was pumped to see them do that for a small race, but I also come there to see a race not vintage WWII aircraft. I just don't think I got my money's worth. If somebody out there feels the same way please reply to this post.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Krusty_Rusty,

Are you sure you were at the same Thunder Hill Racewy I was?

I thought it was a great night of racing and we were out of there by 11, or so. I saw lots of passing going on. Brandon Bendele passed lots of cars on his way back up through the field in the ROMCO race. And back in the pack there was tons of passing going on. The TSRS race didn't have much passing up front, but there sure was some taking place throughtout the field. I only got to see the second half of the TAMS race, but what I saw was exciting with passing taking place for almost every position. And in the TPS race the pole sitter spun on the green flag lap and had to make his way through the field to finish second.

As far as counting yellows, they only did that during the first portions of the race.

Nick Holt

I have to say that was some of the best racing I've seen in a while at THR. The TSRS cars going 3 wide down the front stretch a couple of times. The Romco race was good andthere was bunch of passing in that race. I think the reason they tried to hurry it up is cause they were getting close to the 12:00 hour and didnt want any of the people in the trailer park to be screaming about them racing to long. I just wish they could add on to the backstretch like they were talking about doing last year. They could even put a pit road in the infield they have the room that way cars that go off the track wouldnt have to wait for a yellow to come back onto a the track. If they did it the could have the entrance in turn 3 and the exit at turn 2 that would make for a real interesting time. Well thats my .02

I thought the racing was pretty good also, and I was home by 11:30. The TSRS is going to make for some good racing this season. There is enough differentiation in the speeds of those cars to make for some good passing, especially if they invert the field periodically. I enjoyed the modified and ROMCO races also. There was some decent passing in both from my viewpoint.

This is a little off topic, but I'm a little worried about the THR local classes. I looked at a program Saturday night which listed the registered drivers for all of the local classes. The street stocks are the only class with a substantial number of drivers registered. I hope the car count is at least what it was last year in the hobby stocks. They put on some good shows. I guess we'll see this Sat.

Chase

I thought the show at THR was very good also, only thing is, I wish they would either pave or cement inside the track about 10 feet. They have to stop a lot to sweep the rocks off from someone entering too low. But as always the staff at THR was excellent. It looked like a pretty good crowd in the stands also. The TSRS had an excellent turnout of cars. Does anyone know how many, if any, will be running at THR on the nights that TSRS doesn't have races scheduled?

Mel

Mel,

I don't remember the exact number of registered late model drivers, but it was less than 20. Many of the ones registered in the TSRS series did not register as THR late model drivers. Ronnie and Mr. New come to mind. I hope that changes and they decide to race there on the TSRS off weeks. The street stock class had more registered drivers than the pure stock, hobby stock, and late models combined. I guess we'll see on Saturday.

Chase

I watched part of the TSRS race and the romco race and thought they were pretty good. Hey Kevin, any time you want to show them guys how to avoid an accident at a 3/8 mile track in a Romco car, im sure they would like to know how.

A big thank you goes out to Brad Hudak, Mike Yale, Jeff Pollard and their crews for helping out the sick dogg we had sat nite.

Big John

Kevin35251,

The only person in this world who actually knows what was intentional and what was not is the driver involved. The rest of us may THINK we know what happened, but we really don't know.

Nick Holt

Josh I agree If Kyle would do what they said and add on to the back stretch the track would be alot better. Also a pit road at kyle would be really cool. I mean right now if you have to pull off the track for a repair your gonna go a lap down its almost immpossible not to. The pit road would be great. The TSRS did put on a really good show three wide was really cool especially on that track.

I completely agree with what most of ya'll are saying, imrprovements to the track are almost necessary. These were good races compared to Thunder Hill Raceway Standards. The thing is for the most part it is still follow the leader, till someone gets impatients, and wrecks somebody else. Passing and racing was better at Houston and will be better at San Antonio than it ever will be at Kyle. I do have to compliment the crowd though, because that was a massive turnout, and was impressive for South Texas Auto Racing. The thing is listening to the scanners during the TSRS race, and what happened on the track. The first caution in the TSRS race didn't have the yellow flags counted, but every caution after that did, because track officials were on their butts to speed things up.

TSRS officials informed us before the race that if we had a caution in the first 10 laps they would count yellows because of the mod race. They didnt want the fans to have to sit through all those yellow laps. I dont know how many yellows the mods had, but it seemed like quite a few. I think it was a good call.

Big John

thats my point, the mods originally were suppose to race after TSRS to avoid that same scenario. They went away from that, and it sucked for the fans, because of the mod race.

thank you, better racing is all that i ask for, and just think the race could've been managed alot better, with the time constraints that they had to obide to.

TSRS asked for more time before their feature. Instead of sitting and waiting 30 (what they needed to be ready). Brian asked the Modifieds if they where ready. (And Thanked them for it later) They hurried up and got ready so the racing show could go on. Would you have rather sit there for 30 minutes and not watch any racing. I think not.

As for improvements to the track. You get the money and give it to Brian and I am sure he will make the improvements you so desire.

You want to add to the bottom of the track to keep the rocks and dirt off. Well, that is all well and good, but they will just frive down there and race and the same thing will happen.

I am just so tired of everybody talking bad about the track. We are NOT San Antonio and we are NOT Houston. Each track is different and you will have different racing on each track.

Tell me how you manage a race better, when the drivers won't stop wrecking each other? It takes time to clean up the mess. And we have an excellent clean up crew, so don't say they are slow. It may seem that way at times. But I know they just want the track to be safe for the drivers.

Quote from Kathy,

I am just so tired of everybody talking bad about the track. We are NOT San Antonio and we are NOT Houston. Each track is different and you will have different racing on each track.

You can be sure that not everybody talks bad about THR. I enjoy the track very much and I know lots of people do too. I really like the pit layout and the fact that there are no walls on 2/3's of the track -- a trip to the car wash is not nearly as bad as putting on a new front clip.

It is also true that there isn't a track anywhere that couldn't use an improvement or two. I personally think widening the back straight 10 feet might end up providing a second groove through turns one and two for the faster classes. Maybe not, but the way it is now there really is only one way through one and two.

And you tell Brian that as soon as I win the lottery I'll be sending him a check to pay for the improvements! LOL

Nick Holt

Ok, I shouldn't have said everybody Nick.

I know there are more people that like the track than not.

It's just that SOME keep going on and on about making improvements. They obviously have no idea how hard it is to put on a good show each week, pay the purse everyone wants, pay the insurance that is needed to race, pay the officials, and pay who's knows what else, and keep the price to race low enough so those that want to race can and those who want to watch can.. If anyone thinks Brian is getting rich off this track, then your thinking is wrong. I know that if Brian had extra money he would make changes to everyones liking. There is just no way to please everyone. Just like the Big Shot. Alot of people where saying to have it somewhere else so there could be passing. Well, now it is not going to be ANYWHERE at all. I know I have said it before but I will say it again. There is passing every week at that track. I see it. Maybe they think not much is going on because they are watching their one favorite car and he is not passing anyone. Who knows. I know I saw plenty of it this past Saturday. Just watching the last few laps of the Romco race was exciting. Eddy Wallace showed them how to pass. And he never touched the guy.

Maybe I am just having a bad day and needing to vent all this. Maybe it is just because I have worked at this track since day one and am a loyal employee and I have seen all the hard work that has been and is put in each week to present a great program. Maybe I am just tried of my upstairs neighbors being so @$* loud. LOL I don't know. I just felt like I needed to say all this. I guess I will shut up now and go take a shower and maybe I will feel better.

And Nick, I told Brian when I win the lottery I would be helping him too. LOL

:)

And just for the record: :)

Thunder Hill Raceway is located in Kyle, Texas. NOT San Marcos, Texas

And the fly over did not take 30 minutes. Our show was not scheduled to start until 7:00pm. Yes, it was a few minutes late. But, they just wanted to do something to show support for ours troops over in Iraq fighting.

Seeing those plans fly over gave me chills.

:)

Now I am getting in the shower. I promise. :D

Archived