thunder hill raceway

krusty_rusty

LMAO, Everyone needs to vent now and then Kathy!

Everyone knows that THR is a tough track to pass on and it doesn't help when the classes start "straight-up" for the most part. There are several people that have figured out the high groove there, James Reeder is the first to come to mind. But the fast way is still the low side.

Isn't the whole idea of racing to go faster than your competitors and keep them from passing????

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've run at kyle 3 times had a lot of fun racing there i wish san antonio was as smooth as kyle. bent some sheet metal but no majir damage.i wold race there again if they had a race where my car was legal

I have to agree with the fact that no matter what race track you are at, someone will always want inprovements. There has been a few times that I myself have not agreed with THR management from food, to admission prices, to race calls and other things, and the same can be said at any other track that a person visits often. That being said racing at THR is like a lottery or a BINGO drawing (or as Forrest Gump said it ) You never know what your going to get. I've been to races that I thought would be good and weren't and likewise on the opposite. There are lots of variable other than the track that sometimes make racing boring at THR, car counts, 5 cars in a class isn't an exciting race normally.

The issue about Brian not making money is a fare one, most promoters/ owners don't!! it's just that simple after everything gets paid there is not much money left over. Now on the other hand it goes back to the old saying that you have to spend money to make money. I'm not saying that Brian has not spent alot of money on the initial building of the track but if he puts more money into it like widening the backstretch. If the racing is better and more drivers and fans show up he might or should at least get a little return on his investment. Also on most nights there is alot of room in the grandstands for people to sit. As Kathy pointed out the track is in Kyle and not San Marcos. Now granted there is not much to do in San Marcos but there are well over 30,000 potential ticket purchasing bodies at any given time at South West Texas University. Now granted most of the races happen in the summer but there are still a fair amount in town then as well. The same can be said for UT, yes there is a lot of stuff that happens in Austin but the $10 ticket is still cheaper than a night of bar hoppin' on 6th St.

Any ways everyone points are valid but as always this is just my .02 Cents

I'm not complaining about the track. For one I like the track alot, and i showed people this weekend that romco cars can hold there own on the outside. But to help people understand what i am saying, i will elaborate (sp), if the concreate on the backstretch was longer (10 ft) or/and if there was a foot of asphalt/concrete whatever added at the bottom of turn two (exit of turn two) it would allow cars to get underneath each other and allow more room for side by side racing. I know kyle is not in the best of shape money wise, but this would not take much money at all, to improve the track. And it will be fine with me if it stays the same, but i hear people complain about how there is no passing, I was just trying to give yall pointers on what you could do to improve the racing.

Hey all it was is an idea for kyle to make the track better. According to the last time I checked a track was supposed to make the improvments. And if the improvments where made then the drivers could make passes without wrecking each other. What ever happened to the 30 extra feet or so that was supposed to be added on to the back straight away I mean for 3 years now drivers have asked for the hole on the back straight away to be fixed i mean really how much does it cost to get 10 bags of concrete and add a couple of feet to the concrete patch back there (no that does not mean i will pay for it or do it its not my job). I mean kyle talks ya where gonna do this gonna do that but nothing is ever done. That is why people say stuff about it. I know the pit road was never stated by anyone that it was gonna be done he just had an idea can we not state out opinions on this forum. Kyle says there gonna make the track better for the driver well that does not mean concrete slabs in the pits and from what i hear drivers and crews pay for that. But thats all i have to say about that.

Randy,

I am sure for about $10,000 they can make the back straight a bit wider. I would think that for that kind of help from someone they could probably get a big sign on the back straight. I am sure the management would be willing to talk if you know of anyone. Give em a break man, they are doing the best that they can with there resources.

Gasman is right, I mean we should be thankful that the track is even there. If not for all of the hard work that goes into that track and all the tracks in texas, where would we race. Now i know they said they were gonna widen the back straight, and from what i hear the guy took their money and split. So say what you will, I say thank you to Brian and everyone involved at THR for putting on a good show every nite and allowing us to race at their track.

Big Johb

Quote from Randy 5249:

can we not state out opinions on this forum.

Yes sir, Randy, you sure can state your opinion on this forum. All we ask is that anyone posting here be polite, act like adults and refrain from bashing others. And to the best of my knowledge, neither Jason nor I have reprimanded you in any way for any of your posts to date.

So why you would ask such a question is a mystery to me unless you feel someone is personally attacking you. But as I review the posts in this thread, I do not see anyone doing that. What I do see is a bunch of well-thought out posts discussing a very controversial topic in a polite, adult manner.

Nick Holt

Nick Holt,

you sure can state your opinion on this forum. All we ask is that anyone posting here be polite, act like adults and refrain from bashing others

Hey now....you and jason both need to practice what you preach. Yall both bash everything i say, then yall tell me that i act like i know everything. Everything i've said on this site is true. Anyways dont go say not to bash poeple then turn around and do it.

Kevin,

All Jason and I have attempted to do is to get you and others to stop using the forum as a way to promote certain racing-related businesses. As I have stated before, if you have a problem with that, please feel free to email me.

Nick Holt

TexasSpeedZone Moderator

i think that what Randy said was just misunderstood. I dont think that what he was saying was meant as a threat or was meant as bashing anyone. But i do agree with Kevin. If one person is going to talk about other people bashing people they should listen to what they are saying. :rolleyes:

latemodel4,

If I have bashed anyone, I would like to know in what message that would have been... I have been extremely careful to be polite and respectful to everyone on this board.

And, of course, the rules of the forum should be for everyone to follow. If I have not followed them I would like to know where...

Nick Holt

TexasSpeedZone Moderator

ok in the pick asa winner section i corrected somone because they spelt gary st. amants name wrong. Then I got an IM from jason saying that its pointless to correct poeple and thats all i do and that i know everything. Then big john posted his pick for gary st amant and misspelled it purposley and your reply was "big john, LOL." Is that not bashing? you said it towards me.

Nick dont pick your favorites just because you personally know someone does not mean you treat them different on this forum. As you said treat everyone with respect. Dont make fun of them for correcting a spelling and if it wasnt you then you need you have a talk with you buisiness partner and set things straight. You specifically said ACT LIKE ADULTS so lets practice that.

Nick

I'm talking about when someone puts a reply about something on here using a name like URS or MRE. Not always is it used as a pulg. And like the responses that Randy put people are taking it as bashing someone when the responses that you have put to them are just as bashing as what he put. I am just saying that I think that it is the choice of words that are being put on here. I dont want it to sound like im bashing you or Jason because i'm not. Please don't take it as that.

OK Kevin,

I apologize to you for the "LOL" about Big John's purposeful misspelling of Gary St. Amant's name. I had no idea that you would take it as a bash against you. In fact, I still don't see how you could possibly take it as a bash against you. I just thought Big John was trying to have a giggle and I giggled too. As far as I'm concerned, you can politely correct all the misspellings you like in this forum. You might be quite busy though as there are quite a lot of misspellings.

Nick Holt

TexasSpeedZone Moderator

Randy,

Nick dont pick your favorites just because you personally know someone does not mean you treat them different on this forum. As you said treat everyone with respect. Dont make fun of them for correcting a spelling and if it wasnt you then you need you have a talk with you buisiness partner and set things straight. You specifically said ACT LIKE ADULTS so lets practice that.

In the first place, Jason and I are not business partners. He does not pay me a thing for my work at this site. My entire motive is to provide a place where the Texas racing community can come together to discuss issues and provide information in an adult, respectful manner. In fact, I have never met Jason nor have I ever talked with him on the phone. Your suggestion that we are business partners is absolutely incorrect.

In the second place, I apologize for the "LOL" I posted in responce to Big John's message with the purposefully misspelled Gary St. Amant. It was not my intention to be disrespectful to anyone and I still do not see where I was disrespectful. But, out of respect to you and Kevin, I apologize if you took it as a bash.

In the third place, I don't have a clue what you mean when you say, "Nick dont pick your favorites just because you personally know someone does not mean you treat them different on this forum." What do you mean?

Nick Holt

TexasSpeedZone Moderator

Look guys lets get off the name calling and knit picking. Everyone should agree that extra paving on the backstretch would be awesome for the fans, because it would create passing out of 1 and 2 and going into turn 3. Some people on this forum obviously work for THR so their opinion is going to be a little bit skewed, when you have a no passing race track your going to have people wrecking each other because the only way you can pass is by making hard contact and getting someone loose, because no matter what passing on the outside is still laughable.

THANK YOU LM4

We are all well aware that you are upset with the TSZ site administrators over our decision to stop blatant plugs for certain racing-related businesses. Please feel free to email or PM either Jason or me if you have something further to say about our decision. Be advised that further posts on this forum that deal with your dissatisfaction with this decision will be deleted.

Nick Holt

Hey racing guys and gals...

First off, I'd like to say "thanks" to Jason, Nick and all who are involved with Texasspeedzone.com for the web site and the forums..not because The Motorsports Zone has its own forum, but because this web site---more so than any other--has brought out opinions and other thoughts on local racing...For those of you who think I'm "kissing up," then I direct you to Ric Clark or Kathy T--they'll be the FIRST to tell you I don't kiss up to anyone, I just say what's on my mind and move on..

Second, a "thank you" to all who use this web site..I have learned A LOT about the local racing scene on this web site...Plus, I will implement the suggestions from the "suggestion box" in the MZone forum...

Third, as far as Thunder Hill goes..I agree with all who say "It's great to have that track is here and that it exists, it's good for local racing..." However, one of the reasons I left there is because they don't promote--as one person posted here, "you have to spend money to make money." The first 3 years I worked at THR, I tried til I was blue in the face to get THR management to advertise with local papers and radio/TV stations...For reasons only known to them, my efforts were fruitless..Now, if the reason for not spending money on advertising was "well, we don't have the money to do it," then why go into business in the first place without having money budgeted for advertising and marketing?

Now...that being said...I wish all the current management and workers at THR the best of luck for this season...We (TSRS) had a great race out there last Saturday, and the crowd was big (the biggest I've seen there since Year 3 of the track)...The crew they have at THR is one of the hardest-working crowds around..And, I encourage everyone to support local racing at THR and their own local tracks!

Everyone have a great day, and let's goooooo racing!!

Chuck L. :D

Archived