SAS

hooliganz

Is she gonna open up again or not? I dont know for sure. But like I've said MANY MANY times before....I'm not giving up on the Ol Girl. Until I see the heavy equipment tearing her down there will always be hope. We're talking about a 30+ year piece of Texas history here. Mark my words folks......She will rise again. Am I crazy? Yes...just ask my wife and kids. Also ask them about my passion for SAS. They will tell you that as long as I'm alive I will NEVER give up on SAS. Stranger things have happened....

Debbie Debbie Debbie...

Nick has a job that I doubt anyone else would take or want... That being said you forgot the part where he is going to send you a PM! Luv ya Nick.... ;)

Ok, seriously... Let's get past all the past stuff and who might of done something and the City put the screws to us stuff. If someone who is looking for an investment and some write offs had a love for racing, a true love for racing and a piece of Texas racing history would reopen it I think it would be huge. That being said there isn't a big enough Oxygen tank around that I could have as a standby to make me even think about holding my breath. And yes, again I heard the rumor of a pending sale with a racers family involved... I'd love to believe it, just tired of the Wolf stories.......

Most of the plans to re-open SAS I have come across require a host of willing and eager "volunteers" who are ready and capable of stepping up to make the facility race-ready.

Those plans usually "make do" with Porta Potties, off-site food preparation, day races due to no lighting, temporary retaining walls, patched up bleachers, no press box, no scoring system, no flagpole, no scoreboard, volunteer race officials, scabbed-together rules, etc. From a down-to-earth viewpoint, such plans are not very realistic no matter how fervent the dreams of those envisioning a re-opening.

Volunteers are usually good for a morning or an afternoon once in a while, but that place will take months of hard work and lots and lots of money to even be able to hold a practice session. Sure, I'd volunteer to help out whenever/wherever I could, but most of us - even those of us with a strong desire to see the place restored to its original glory - already have more on our plates than we can handle.

As some have already mentioned in this thread, in reality it will take someone with very deep pockets who has no interest whatsoever in ever making a return on their investment - and I mean ever. And forget the "tax write off" angle. Businesses already have more losses than they can handle. They don't need more tax write-offs in this day and age.

The last time I talked seriously with an investor about SAS, he estimated that it would take millions to restore the place and would probably cost a lot less just to bulldoze it and start over.

That being said, I do not downplay the efforts that PAPA and a few others are putting into this restoration idea. I wish them the very best and have offered them what meager support I have at my disposal - which ain't much!

Nick

Hey, Nick, just to give you the pleasure of deleting one of my posts . . .

Shelma W can use the money she owes all of us to reopen it!

Thanks Deb i needed a good laugh today!!

Nick, SAS is a long-shot but so is any race-track. No disrespect meant but history and business books aren't full of people who make small, wise investments. SAS made money once after a large investment and could again with the right chance.

SAS was and is something that no other short track in this area was or will ever be, the track layout made for the most wide-open, high-speed racing around. I spend my money going to THR and supporting a I-37 sportmod and still would if SAS re-opened but a track like SAS will always put people in the seats and that is what makes a track work. The people that think SAS can't be re-opened or shouldn't be re-opened have every right to feel like that but keep in mind many of us here WOULD give-up a lot of our personal time and money to make it a reality. If you take SAS out of the picture this area of the country will not soon see a high-banked, large circle track again so we better hang on to it if there is any chance of something happening. I for one am 100% with Papa, I will not stop making an effort to save that track.

There are a lot of tracks that no longer exist and each had their own personality.Almeda and Meyers in Houston,Edinburg Speedway in Edinburg,Longhorn in Austin,Moody and Cary in Navasota and the list goes on.What people need to do is realize that there are some really good tracks still open within driving distance of SAS that could use everyones support right now.Otherwise we might be talking about them in the past tense.I 37,Thunderhill,CC Speedway,South Texas Speedway,Edna just to name a few.They might not be as gllamorus but they are active.Lets keep racing to keep the sport healthy or racing might be like greyhound racing.

What I find intresting is how in Texas every track just becomes too expensive to operate.When I travel up north to like Missouri I see tracks cut out of an old wheat field or something with rudementry seating but the places are packed.I think its because they invest their money into the race itself because the purses are good,even start money.I never believed that a track had to cost millions to have a great show.Those north east farmers proove this with racing starting on Wend./ Sat nite.Im afraid SAS just got too expensive.Even NASCAR is feeling the crunch.

Lets race what we can afford to race at the nearest track to us.Forget the fancy stuff.Even a bomber or ministock can give pleasure.Even at a smaller track.Riverside in Corpus was one of my favorites but now its part of a dump.But I still am racing.These tracks would appreciate your support.

I agree 110% with you...we need to support ALL the tracks that we have. Each is very unique and is a favorite to many. Doesnt matter if its dirt or asphalt. Doesnt matter if its a round track or a drag strip or a road coarse. Racing is racing and its in our blood. But that doesnt mean we have to give up our DREAM. My dream is for SAS to live again. And in my dream ALL types of racing and the facilities that hold those races work together to make racing in Texas as strong as it once was. There is nothing wrong with having a dream and have that dream come true. Sounds to me that many people just want to settle for what they have right now. I guess Im gready to some degree because I WANT MORE! You would be shocked at some of the e-mails I have recieved about my dream of SAS reopening. A couple even suggest I need my A$$ kicked. Others say I'm trying to ruin auto racing in Texas. There are others that I cant put on here. Here is my answer to them and anyone else who wants to know....SAS "WILL RE-OPEN". When? I dont know but it will. So go ahead and call me a stupid old man or send me an e-mail saying you want to kick my A$$. I dont care.

nothin wrong with dreamin it, I keep dreamin we would get to do TROC weekends @ TWS again!

but i saw they took the bleachers out of TWS so I think that dream is fading. Be cool to have the ol lady back in San Antone, but I don't see it happening. BUT if it does, I'll come aboard be excited, in the meanwhile lets keep THR, HMP and CC alive for the asphalt stuff. Sure would suck to just have TMS...

I agree 110% with you...we need to support ALL the tracks that we have. Each is very unique and is a favorite to many. Doesnt matter if its dirt or asphalt. Doesnt matter if its a round track or a drag strip or a road coarse. Racing is racing and its in our blood. But that doesnt mean we have to give up our DREAM. My dream is for SAS to live again. And in my dream ALL types of racing and the facilities that hold those races work together to make racing in Texas as strong as it once was. There is nothing wrong with having a dream and have that dream come true. Sounds to me that many people just want to settle for what they have right now. I guess Im gready to some degree because I WANT MORE! You would be shocked at some of the e-mails I have recieved about my dream of SAS reopening. A couple even suggest I need my A$$ kicked. Others say I'm trying to ruin auto racing in Texas. There are others that I cant put on here. Here is my answer to them and anyone else who wants to know....SAS "WILL RE-OPEN". When? I dont know but it will. So go ahead and call me a stupid old man or send me an e-mail saying you want to kick my A$$. I dont care.

Hey, I support the samething you do, if they are determined to go after someone give them my name...I guess I can't blame people that talk down SAS re-opening because they have investments in or are making money from other tracks, but I don't have to like it either. San Antonio WILL have an asphalt track again, be it SAS or another track, so theres no reason to put yourself in the "against" column right now. I will continue to dump money and time into traveling to other tracks around here if indeed SAS does re-open but it would be nice if we could approach the idea of racing in this area growing in a positive manner.

As much as I would love to see SAS reopen I know of one reason that would stop that. And that is as long as it stays in the jurisdictional control of SA, it will stay closed. It was SA that forced its shutdown, remember? If Bexar County had kept that jurisdictional control they would still be racing there. :angry:

As much as I would love to see SAS reopen I know of one reason that would stop that. And that is as long as it stays in the jurisdictional control of SA, it will stay closed. It was SA that forced its shutdown, remember? If Bexar County had kept that jurisdictional control they would still be racing there. :angry:

Sorry Dano....after a lot of research......that had very little to do with SAS shutting down.

Debbie, I had just forgotten about that lady!! Thanks!!

CC is my home track, but there was something about racing SAS. I would love to be able to race there again. We always ran well up there. That place just fit my style or something

WHERE DO YOU NOT RUN WELL AT? UR ALWAYS A CONTENDER.

Sorry Dano....after a lot of research......that had very little to do with SAS shutting down.

What was it then Gerald. We were told they shut down the concessions, the rest rooms and the stands and TD said it was too expensive to bring it up to their code.

Gerald,

I'm not sure about the source of your research. I was there and very much involved in the closure. We stated the facts during our closure meeting, and it was directly related to the rezoning issue.

Gerald,

Like Debbie, Rick Day and a few others, I was there when most of this all came down. If you will recall, I was the USRA and SAS media guy and part time tech official for both SAS and USRA and was directly involved with Terry Dickerson, Rick and Debbie, the key SAS players. When all the folks who were directly invovled in the situation tell the same story, it seems a bit odd that someone would now come out with a different version.

The track closed when Terry Dickerson realized that he would have to invest lots of money in infrastructure improvements on property he did not own. Not that he didn't try to purchase the property from Ms. Reeh. He made several generous offers, which were all rejected by the Reeh family. I was the one who actually drew up the first seven-figure offer that was presented to Ms. Reeh and rejected. And I am also aware of at least one other offer that was made which was rejected. Terry told me that there were actually more than two offers made, but I can only personally verify that two were made.

Now there are very many factors that went into the city's decision to send out their code inspectors that day and perhaps that what you're referring to. A city councilman who allegedly was in on a scheme to profit handsomely, pressure from Toyota to "clean up the Highway 16 corridor" that leads to the Toyota entrance, and perhaps pressure from some hotel developers eying the property across Highway 16. But whatever the combination of factors that brought the inspectors out that day, the result was that Terry decided he couldn't invest big money in a property that he did not own in spite of having offered to purchase said property.

But, if you have facts that you would like to share that blow the above scenario out of the water, let's hear them.

Nick

I'm pretty sure a lot of people aren't just going to SETTLE for what they have right now. A lot of people are doing a lot of things to make the best, and then some, of what hand has been delt. In a few years I wouldn't doubt that everyone will hold the same regards to the current tracks as they do the old tracks as long as they stay the course. JMO

Archived