SAS

hooliganz

thats because there's not a pavement track around that even comes close to compairing to it, the best racing in texas was done at sas, this is one track that you could run double file restarts and not have to worry about starting on the outside.

The bigger question here is.....if it did in fact reopen who would show up? Opening a track is one thing and getting cars back out is another. So instead of bringing up the question AGAIN about it reopening how about asking who would show up with cars. Most cars that ran there years ago are dirt cars now , scraped, or converted to other track rules. I dont want to see this post stir up a lot of BS like before but I really would like to know who would show up. Are there as many GHOST CARS out there that I believe are? Are there really a lot of loyal SAS drivers/teams that would return?

...Are there really a lot of loyal SAS drivers/teams that would return?

I won't speak for any of the racers I know but I can tell you 100% that if SAS re-opened I would put a car together. Dirt racing isn't my thing and THR is just far enough away to make it too far plus it doesn't reach any of the people we are trying to sell services to. I think the other question would be if SAS re-opened would Super Lates once again have a chance in this area?

I had heard a rumor two weeks ago of a potential purchase of the property. (AGAIN IT IS A RUMOR)

I think until such time I would hold off... I would support a SAS reopening and might even do a little sponsoring, but again no plans on holding my breath till such time occurs...

With the unfortunate closure of SAS most people have found another track to call their home; racers and sponsors alike. That being said, would you go back to SAS after supporting whatever track you may have been supporting since SAS closed? I know for a fact THR and I-37 owners have worked their butts off to give many people a place to race and it just seems to me that pulling support from those tracks back to SAS, if it were to open again, a little "off" for a lack of better words. Granted I never saw a race there so I don't have the memories that most of you do so all I know is this area without.

I was just thinking we were about due for another SAS thread. I don't know why people think the two tracks would have to compete with each other if it reopened, just because they did in the past. Would it really be that difficult to draft rules that would allow cars to run SAS, THR, and others without having to heavily modify their cars? Obviously the dirt guys would have to, but as far as the asphalt teams go I can't believe the track wouldn't be able to have similar rules as THR, HMP, CC, etc.

Ahhh, but what do I know, I'm just a lowly sim racer.... <_<

Not holding my breath, but should SAS ever reopen you can bet I'll be out there. And at THR, and at HMP, and at whatever other track I can find.

I was just thinking we were about due for another SAS thread. I don't know why people think the two tracks would have to compete with each other if it reopened, just because they did in the past. Would it really be that difficult to draft rules that would allow cars to run SAS, THR, and others without having to heavily modify their cars? Obviously the dirt guys would have to, but as far as the asphalt teams go I can't believe the track wouldn't be able to have similar rules as THR, HMP, CC, etc...

Your right....they shouldnt have to compete. I dont think they would. Race tracks are getting hard to come by now days as it is. I was refering to the old SAS cars that might still be out there.

What was it about that track that enabled a 2nd groove to be used?

A couple of factors really. The biggest was that most of the fast cars made a diamond out of turns 3-4. The higher up you got when you rotated the chassis, the better shot you had coming down off turn four. One and two were more like most tracks - you sort of just made do until the exit of turn two and got lined up for the "ski jump" that was always present near the start of the back straight. Lots of beating and banging coming off turn two for sure.

The other factor is that the turn 3-4 bank was slightly progressive - more bank at the top than at the bottom.

One of big challenges at SAS was the fact that the turn four banking ended very suddenly and would help your car drift up to the wall about at the flagstand. The other was shocking the car for the huge dip/bump/ski jump not long after you exited turn two.

Oh.. and the track had very long straights and very tight turns which made for some interesting compromises in setups.

Nick

BE HAPPY FOR THE TRACKS THAT ARE OPEN THAT WE CAN RACE AT ! IT SOUNDS LIKE MOST OF THEM ARE STRUGGLING AT TIMES FOR DIFFERENT REASONS ! I KNOW A LOT OF THE SAS GUYS MOVED TO I37 AND IF SAS REOPENED,I THINK IT WOULD HURT I37. JMO

If SAS reopened why would SAS and THR have to compete with each other? If they adopted similar rules and ran every other weekend you could run one track or the other or both and get in as much racing as you want. I think that over a period of a couple of years more cars would show up and if done right we could have two tracks that would be successful and draw good crowds. Some people would only want to run the bigger track and some people would only want to trun the smaller track and some would run both. Same with the fans. I enjoyed watching races at Pan Am, SAS, Thunderhill and Corpus and I would still go to the 3 tracks if they were running. There is nothing like watching late models scream around that 1/2 mile, but modifieds on THR also put on a great race. I think if done correctly all could succeed.

What was it about that track that enabled a 2nd groove to be used?

A couple of factors really. The biggest was that most of the fast cars made a diamond out of turns 3-4. The higher up you got when you rotated the chassis, the better shot you had coming down off turn four. One and two were more like most tracks - you sort of just made do until the exit of turn two and got lined up for the "ski jump" that was always present near the start of the back straight. Lots of beating and banging coming off turn two for sure.

The other factor is that the turn 3-4 bank was slightly progressive - more bank at the top than at the bottom.

One of big challenges at SAS was the fact that the turn four banking ended very suddenly and would help your car drift up to the wall about at the flagstand. The other was shocking the car for the huge dip/bump/ski jump not long after you exited turn two.

Oh.. and the track had very long straights and very tight turns which made for some interesting compromises in setups.

Nick

A good friend of mine that ran three cars (drove one - leased two) at Cajon Speedway came out here just before Cajon closed. he was considering moving his operation out here. We went to SAS and watched a LM race. those very aspects you just described had both of us thinking we could really have some fun at that track. Unfortunately SAS closed - fortunately before he relocated! Now he has two guys in the tour out west doing quite well - both were in the Toyota All Star last year and hopefully again this year (actually next but you know what I maen I hope - it's a January '11 race to end the '10 season!).

The one thing we noticed was the majority of the cars were best set up for 3-4 leaving a little on the table in 1-2. the first thing my bud said was "I think I would set for one and two, mirror drive 3's entry and dominate!" (lol - I did not quite agree - but still saw a lot of room for improvement getting off two). that was one of the things we loved about Cajon -it was eggshaped - 1-2 was radiused like most 1/4 mile track and 3-4 was radiused like most half - you could pick where you wanted to setup for and it made for VERY interesting racing (especially once you got your setups down and could change from one week to the next so your competition would not figure out how to pass ya!)

Well I guess noone has anything bad to say about for sure. Sound like a high speed, gforce ride of bliss. :) I hope I might have a chance one day to race there. Have an old ROMCO redy to go B)

Think maybe you could take a pic or two of the Ol Girl as she is today? I would love to see it.

My wife and I walked the track about a year ago. Its in such bad condition now it would take a huge amount of time and MONEY to get it going again. From all the electrical being stripped to the walls about to fall down it would be very expensive to repair and get it race ready. Unfortunatley unless there was a group with a ton of money to pour into it and willing to lose there a$$ for awhile its not gonna happen. The racing there was great and we miss it. Wish it would have never closed but the reality is that it did. THR and I37 are great tracks. THR had some of the best racing ever this year and with the reality series coming next year I'm sure it will pull cars out of the weeds and spectators alike. I37 raceway continues to improve every year with Jim and the staff doing everything they can to improve the track and draw more attention to dirt racing near san antonio. I am thankful to both Maryann and Jim for there love of our sport and continuing to keep racing in our area alive and well. I plan on supporting both tracks next year as a racer and a spectator.

Archived