VITA-FRESH GREMLIN

car #'s were #6 and #22....Chumley ran his last race on dirt in the #6 at Big H...hit end of wall in turn one and was knocked out...still had car wide open and it took off down the track and into the infield doing doughnuts till transmission blew up...big piece of tranny hit fireman chasing car, but was uninjured...car continued to run wide open till I got there from the pit area to shut off....Chumley would not drive a car with a ignition switch...had to have a key and fire crew was looking for a switch...there was a big tranny fluid fire, but fire crew was right on it and no one got burned...Chumley came too about a minute later with his bell rung...knew me and his wife Sharon but nothing else....would not go to hospital in meat wagon but wife took him shortly after....woke up next morning ok but could not remember anything about the race.....

YEP , I WAS THERE . I TELL FAN'S THAT STORY , BUT I GET LOOKS LIKE THEY DON'T BELIVE ME . I THOUNGHT ONE WAS #22 . I KNEW THEY HAD 2 CAR'S , BUT I FOR GOT THE #'s. OLD AGES . THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. ...

• 2 weeks later...

I got a real nice letter from Gary Van Liew , In it he talk about when he and Ronnie & Denny drove the Gremlin's at BIG H . And how David Starr , Richard Cooper , Eddie & Tim Sinton where associated with the team . And when Gordon Van Liew (Dad , pass in 2002) was the first non-automotive co. to sponsor & owned Indy cars for Tony & Gary Bettenhausen , Bobby Unser , Johnny Boyd , Dempsey Wilson , Chuck Stevenson . He also sent me some photo's of the #6 & #22 Gremlin's at BIG H (red clay,dirt) . One of them look's like he took it off of the wall and sent it to me . It may take me some time before i can get them up , I don't have a scanner or the know how ...

• 11 months later...

laughed the first time i saw a gremlin.. a dealer brought two of em to cc one night ....ugly ugly cars ....drove one years later ...fast little bugger with 6 banger it had ....wonder if any are still around ........ the commercial... showed the car was wide enough to park a pinto inside .. and it was .....i suppose that was a shot at fords pintos which were big sellers then ..we know which one made a better race car and is still around ......

Archived