Gary St Amant

Modracer

Poorboy,

I've encountered lots of drunks on the road. They weave all over the place. I've been behind them and watched them, not daring to pass them. This guy wasn't doing that. As I said, he was driving straight as a string. How do I know?

As soon as we passed and I gathered my wits, i thought he is going to kill somebody in the very next few minutes unless I do something. I didn't have a phone. So, I slowed to a stop, checked ahead and behind. I made a U-turn and took off after him. I don't know how fast I was going. Just as fast as that truck would go. I was hoping I wasn't going to come up on a grizzly crash site. It took a what seemed like a long time to catch up to him. I had no idea what the hell I was going to do when I caught him. Finally I could see his tail lights in the distance and I could tell I was gaining on him. Then to my horror I saw three sets of headlights come over a rise about a mile ahead. How could I warn them? I just started flasing my lights on and off, high beam to low beam over and over to get their attention. The SOB was still driving down that wrong lane straight as an arrow at them. I felt helpless because I was still about a quarter mile behind him. I guess I was successful in getting their attention because the three oncoming cars were all in the outside lane, like I had been, when they passed.

I finally caught him. I pulled up on his right rear and sat on the horn. That obviously brought him out of his stupor. He moved back across the center line, across in front of me and over to the right lane. He slowed and I slowed behind him. I pulled up beside him and reached for my flashlight, but it had rolled under the seat when I made the u-turn so I couldn't find it. If I'd had a phone, I'd have called 911. I dropped back behind him. In a few miles he finally turned off the highway on to a country road.

I thought ............... Well, OK, at least he is off the highway. Hopefully he won't hurt anyone but himself now. I stopped turned around and resumed my trip home.

The point is, he was impared by something. We already have enough impared idiots out on the roadways without inviting more. That would be absolutely nuts wouldn't it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really who cares if some dude smokes pot on friday and races on sunday...this nascar drug policy is starting to look like a witch hunt.

THAT SAME FRIDAY NIGHT POT SMOKING DUDE AND SUNDAY RACER ..MAYBE DRIVEING NEXT TO YOU ON THE FREEWAY . MAYBE THE ONE WHO MOVED OVER AND KILLED SOMEONE WITH OUT EVEN NOTICEING ...TO ADD TO THIS .I DONT LIKE AN WORRY ABO ULT RACERS AND TEAMS AND FANS DRINKING AFTER THE NIGHTS RACES ARE OVER ...SOME OF THOSE POEPLE MAYNOT HAVE HAD ANYTHING TO EAT AND OVER DO IT ..

Alot of people say "Its not any worse than alcohol". And its probably not but this world already has a BIG problem with alcohol related "Incidents". Legalization of Pot would only double that problem. However, I think it will become legal (Soon) just so more tax revenue can be generated. jmo

I personally know many many people who occasionally "fire one up" who happen to be very successful in their careers. I'm not talking about the "dope heads" , but rather casual smokers who enjoy a little "buzz" occasionally. It's basically just like alcohol......Just don't abuse it. yes it's illegal, but it shouldn't be. If god didn't intend man to smoke it, it wouldn't have been put on earth in the form of a plant. All of you would be shocked if you knew how many of your close friends either cuurrently smoke it or did alot in their past. If it is legalized, it isn't really going to increase the use that much because it's so easy to get already...........Plus it's one hell of an afrodisiac!(spelling?) LOL :rolleyes:

Sure Snowball. Everybody could just light up in the privacy of their own homes and the world would be all warm and fuzzy for everybody, right? Its really nobody else"s business, right? The problem is they don't STAY in their houses. They go out and get in their automobiles. Then it becomes MY business. You know what happens next. They start killing innocent people.

I personally know many many people who occasionally "fire one up" who happen to be very successful in their careers. I'm not talking about the "dope heads" , but rather casual smokers who enjoy a little "buzz" occasionally. It's basically just like alcohol......Just don't abuse it. yes it's illegal, but it shouldn't be. If god didn't intend man to smoke it, it wouldn't have been put on earth in the form of a plant. All of you would be shocked if you knew how many of your close friends either cuurrently smoke it or did alot in their past. If it is legalized, it isn't really going to increase the use that much because it's so easy to get already...........Plus it's one hell of an afrodisiac!(spelling?) LOL :rolleyes:

You say God put it here ....... That may be true. But, He might have put it here for you to resist the temptation. Kinda along the same lines as the apple with Eve. Didn't he tell them they could eat anything, but the apples? Something like that anyway. And she did and see what happened. So go ahead smoke it, something bad will happen. It always does. Maybe not right away, but it will.

Kathy,

Snowball's line of reasoning is totally illogical. Think of all the destructive substances God has provided us with. Are we therefore, obligated to use them all on ourselves and each other?

Your right!

And I guess you can't reason with someone who's reasoning is illogical.

I tried!

"common sence" GOD also gave us common sence, there is several things that GOD made that will kill, thing is, when we are growing up, we are warned of these things, we generally partake in what we are raised in and tought what is right or wrong, we are all an individual mind that makes choices, we can choose right or wrong!!!

i have been involved with the wrecker business for about the better part of 39 years and from day one have seen any and everything from minor accidents to tragities. to this day if someone gets a DWI/DUI and i have their vehicle at my lot, when they come to pick it up, as i am making out the ticket for release, if it's their first DWI/DUI ( most of the time it's first affenders ) i away's ask them if i can get personal with them, no-one ever says no, then i take them out in my storage yard and show them the vehicles i have in storage from fatalities involving DWI/DUI drivers, i have young women break down and cry, i tell them that if this was their first time, they might get off easy and that they just made a bad decision, i take the time to explain what happened in these wrecks and what had caused them. in our conversation, i let them know that NOW, they can be a mentor for others, i tell them about the young ones that was killed in car accidents from my daughters high school day's and just how many of them were no longer here because of drugs or alcohol, i let them know that the best and boldest thing that they can do as a mentor, is to stand up for themselves and so NO. to this day, i still have younger people tell me thanks because i probably saved their life. it's not just me that has an impact on these young peoples lives, IT'S ALL OF US, DO YOUR PART, BE A MENTOR!!! thanks, del harris ;)

"common sence" GOD also gave us common sence, there is several things that GOD made that will kill, thing is, when we are growing up, we are warned of these things, we generally partake in what we are raised in and tought what is right or wrong, we are all an individual mind that makes choices, we can choose right or wrong!!!

i have been involved with the wrecker business for about the better part of 39 years and from day one have seen any and everything from minor accidents to tragities. to this day if someone gets a DWI/DUI and i have their vehicle at my lot, when they come to pick it up, as i am making out the ticket for release, if it's their first DWI/DUI ( most of the time it's first affenders ) i away's ask them if i can get personal with them, no-one ever says no, then i take them out in my storage yard and show them the vehicles i have in storage from fatalities involving DWI/DUI drivers, i have young women break down and cry, i tell them that if this was their first time, they might get off easy and that they just made a bad decision, i take the time to explain what happened in these wrecks and what had caused them. in our conversation, i let them know that NOW, they can be a mentor for others, i tell them about the young ones that was killed in car accidents from my daughters high school day's and just how many of them were no longer here because of drugs or alcohol, i let them know that the best and boldest thing that they can do as a mentor, is to stand up for themselves and so NO. to this day, i still have younger people tell me thanks because i probably saved their life. it's not just me that has an impact on these young peoples lives, IT'S ALL OF US, DO YOUR PART, BE A MENTOR!!! thanks, del harris ;)

Del, I think it is great what you are doing.

As wheelchair said, we should all be doing this.

Del

Thanks for taking time to show those people what can and will happen. Maybe some day you can hook one of those cars up and take it to your local track and park by the front gate. Im sure the promoters will let you. Show our kids (Fans and drivers) what can happen. I think it will help a lot. If it impacts just one young person then you've made a difference. Every track should do that each week. They may not be "Our Kids" but its our job as adults to do what ever we can to lead the young ones on the right path. jmo

thank's guy's and gal's, but for real, who on this forum don't know someone which drinks or smokes dope? i would like to be, i am on a natural high, i deal with GOD 1 on 1, i'm not a finatic about throwing religion down peoples throats, i believe in GOD my own way, but i thank him daily for the common sence that he gave us to know right from wrong!!!

stand up, be a mentor, it's our kids future that we should care about, we know what happen in the 60's, 70's and so on, lets look farward and not behind, i'm not perfect by no means, but i would want to paint a better picture for my kids, grandkids, and so on.

as for those that think dope should be legal, ask my next door neighbor, her 11 year old daughter took somethink for a headake, we buried her 4 days later, this was 14 years ago, my neighbor lost a daughter and any future she may of had!!!

go ahead, light up another 1 or pop another top, who are you hurting as long as you, GET A BUZZ. i dont think they should be hard on these guy's if it's their first time and maybe someone can mentor them before it's too late, but you also have to think about the chance that the victom's get, " NONE ". this is not mean't to be a bashing or picking on anyone, it's COMMON SENCE FOR EVERYONE!!! thanks, del harris :P

"Sure Snowball. Everybody could just light up in the privacy of their own homes and the world would be all warm and fuzzy for everybody, right? Its really nobody else"s business, right? The problem is they don't STAY in their houses. They go out and get in their automobiles. Then it becomes MY business. You know what happens next. They start killing innocent people."

So, are we saying that Alcohol should be illegal then???

Sorry about the rain, Budman... it's just that we're trying to keep things more or less racing related and backing off from the political stuff whenever we can, unless it's racing related, of course.

Nick

I don't think Marijuana "the natural drug" should be legal but from all the comments on here about maniac drivers under the influnce then alcohol should be highly illegal. I could handle the guy driving 45 in a 65 and stopping 50 feet shirt of a stop sign over the speeding weaving all over the road any day.

And I would rather work next to a guy that burned a doobis the night before than a guy that downed a fifth of whiskey because the guy that down the whiskey is still stupid because of it.

sorry nick, i thought this subject was about racing and people involved getting busted for substance abuse and does anyone think they should be punished per nascar by kicking them out, i just added my 10 cents worth, sorry i made a book report.

if more people would get their kids involved with racing and put them on a pitcrew saturday nights and make them feel important, then we might get more of them out of these shopping center parking lots on the weekend away from trouble, jmo, thanks del :rolleyes:

Archived