Gary St Amant

Modracer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've talked to Gary several times as well, notably when he came to Thunder Hill for the Big Shot races. He is a good guy. Apparently the drug that set off the buzzer was pot, and at least one poster on anothe site said he was known for using said drug, which leads me to a question: the generation from the 1960s is now in charge, so why in hell haven't we legalized marijuana yet?

legalize it, and tax it like cigarettes. at least the government will get a little money from it, cause they surely will never be able to stop its use

VERY WELL SAID.. Pot has never killed anyone that I know of. It's NOT a gateway drug they say it is. And have you EVER heard of a stoned driver killing someone? NOPE. They are going 5 mph LOL . And the worst that happens if you smoke too much is , you take a nap. Drink too much, you die or kill someone driving. So which one is really worse?

Sorry to derail this a bit. Too bad for Gary. Really good guy. Met him years ago at THR.

Any type of drug (Pot, speed, crack, alcohol, heroin, etc.) can cause ones ability to drive or do normal things to be impaired. Taking to much Tylenol can kill you. We humans do stupid things to our bodies and sometimes it causes someone to get hurt or die. We can stretch this post out like all the others that relate to drugs and the same thing will come out of it. If you put stuff in your body that you weren't born with then there is a good chance something bad will happen. jmo

..you wont get hired for a job if you smoke pot .so what s the differents ..should they let well known racers get by with it ..its boils down to this .it isnt legal . live with it ..as for me i dont want to race against anyone who is on anything that misses with thier thinking ... on another note .if they did make it legal ..i may open up a late night munchy shop ...

really who cares if some dude smokes pot on friday and races on sunday...this nascar drug policy is starting to look like a witch hunt.

Evidently you havent been wrecked by a stoned driver. Yes it happens. No it shouldnt be legal. Im glad to see Nascar cracking down on it, hate to see Gary doing it but that was his choice.

Making it legal doesn't mean making it okay to use while operating heavy machinery. Steroids aren't illegal (nor should they be) but it's against the rules of nearly every sports organization to use them.

If Lance Armstrong were caught doing something against the bicycle rules, they'd punish him, but there would be no legal ramifications.

As for getting a job, one large convenience store company in Austin quit drig testing because they were unable to hire anyone to work in or manage their stores... Do I care if a convenience store clerk is stoned? Nope. Do I care if someone uses pot on Wednesday and races on Friday? Also nope. I don't care if Junior lifts a few Buds on Thursday and races on Sunday, either.

It is well-known that people who drive cars while stoned have very poor depth perception. Trying to figure out when to stop for a red light or how fast you're closing in on the car in front of you becomes a major trip complete with giggles and "oh wows."

In 1980 I was stopped in traffic and was rear ended by someone who begged me not to call the cops because he was smoking and didn't realize that I was stopped... Sounds like a few NASCAR drivers, right?

Nick

If it is legalized its use and abuse will become more wide-spread. All of us already have enough to worry about getting home safely from the track late on a Saturday night without having to dodge more potheads. I had one try to kill me last year late on a Saturday night on a long dark stretch of highway, on my way back home from THR. He met me coming east bound in the inside westbound lane. By shear luck, I happened to be in the outside lane. He came past me SWOOSH, inches away at a closing speed of over 130. I didn't even have a chance to lift my foot off the gas. He wasn't weaving like a drunk. He was driving straight as a string. Keep it illegal and prosecute the users and the pushers to the max. :angry:

Archived