points system

charlie henley

so let me get this straight, if a driver makes every race,and supports his or her home track, they are penalized for this , [edited out by Nick Holt, 6/11/09] we have sponsers that are at that track, and we are obligated to them to be there every race,as i know alot of people are also. i would think that the two throw away races would be just that, throw away races, which should mean your two worst finishes, and not the two nights you decided not to show up and support your track. we have drivers that have missed a race, and went from out of the top five to leading, or almost leading the points race. they shouldnt win championships that way, to me its the drivers and crews and sponsers, that bust their a$$ every race week that should be rewarded , not the other way around . if you want to do the two race deal, it should be your two worst finishes, out of how many races you started. i know i am not the only one that feels this way [edited out by Nick Holt, 6/11/09] i understand that racers need a break, but hell we dont even race every week to begin with. i hope that the track can straighten this out, [edited out by Nick Holt, 6/11/09]

I agree 100% with what Charlie is saying. There are many drivers that bust there ass to be out there every week. Even if they are in a wreck in most cases they have time to have there car back out there the following week. For example the Street Stock Class the 96 car was in a wreck a couple weeks ago and had his car back out there the following week with a new body and fresh paint. The 99 blew a transmission and had his car out there the following week. The pure stock 98 has was in a wreck opening night and had his car back out there the next week... I know there are other drivers that have done the same, buy these are the ones that come to the top of my head when i think about it. ALL TO SUPPORT THE TRACK! And your going to reward the drivers that fail to show up from week to week by droping the weeks they dont show up in the points system? Not only will the drivers agree but i guarantee the fans will too!

I DO TWO I LOST A CHAMPIONSHIP THAT WAY WHEN I WAS RACING AT HCKC I WAS THER EVER WEEK AND THE GUY BTHAT WON WENT TO RACE OTHER TRACKS AND WE DROPED WORST 5 RACES AND HE WAS IN 3ED AT THE END AND AFTER THAT DROP HE WON BY 33 POINTS I KNOW A LOT OF OTHER KINDS OF RACIND THAT DOES THIS BUT EVER YEAR SOME BODY GETS [edited out by Nick Holt, 6/12/09] AND I THINK IF YOU WONT A CHAMPIONSHIP YOU SHOULD BE THER EVERY TIME THEY RACE NASCAR DONT DO IT THAT WAT Y SHOULD WE JMO

post-9510-1244817229.gif

I am there every week and have plenty of wrecks. ha ha It is hard for those of us with no sponsors,no help and full time jobs to get our cars going again by the next week. I have given up lots by getting my car ready each week. I definately see charlies side of the coin. I was told by the track officials before the season started that each racer would get his 2 lowest scores dropped. That is bad for those of us that show each week but good for the guys that have a family emergency. (unexpected funeral,wedding,family reunion) It is a shame that there are a few racers taking advantage of the rule that dont have family emergencies but just want to miss 2 races knowing that it wont count against them. Always winners and losers in every decision ,it is hard to make everyone happy. See you guys tonight and good racing !

One of the things I've always liked about racing, whether it's stock cars or road races, car racing or motorcycle racing, is the fact that other racers, including your direct competition, will rally around you if you have a problem at the track and bust their collective tails to get you back on the race track.

I always thought one of the reasons was simply that if you aren't racing, he can't beat you.

But these same guys who would help you get on the track, also don't want you to get a break if you can't make a race even with help, or if your wife says "We're going to Great-uncle Smedley's 90th birthday party that weekend," or your kid (maybe even the one who races) is on his high school baseball team and is in the playoffs, or you have a commitment to a T-ball league that sometimes means you can't run the heats and have to show up and run the feature while hoping nothing important falls off the car that you would have been able to find and fix if you had run the heat races.

As others have pointed out, dropping races isn't new in racing, or even in Central and South Texas. We did it last year as well.

Why? Because we are trying to back the drivers who back the track? Yes, but not directly. We don't want the guy who had to go to Great-uncle Smedley's birthday party, or blew an engine in practice, or went to watch his kid in the playoffs, have his season effectively end because of it. Instead, we want him on the track, battling for a championship he still has a realistic shot at winning.

But he's still dropping a race he might have won, while the driver who makes every race drops his worst finishes, knowing he kept all his best points finishes.

Or consider a worst-case scenario in which no one drops points, but all of your competitors have two bad races, or two race weeks they can't race for other reasons, emergency appendectomies, close relative getting married, child in the hospital, whatever. Meanwhile you make every race and count every point and win the title by two points, simply because everyone else has a terrible year.

I'm not sure I'd put a lot of value on a title "won" that way, but everyone has their own opinion.

We elected to allow dropping of the two worst finishes to support our drivers, to keep them in the title chase even if they have a couple of bad nights, to keep the car counts up during the last rces of the season because everyone will still be in the hunt and out there racing to put on a show for the fans.

And we did it to allow for those great-uncle Smedley, T-Ball, high school playoffs, weddings you can't miss and so on nights nearly all racers have at some point in their careers.

If we were racing NASCAR, you'd blow off Uncle Smedley, T-ball and the like, but we aren't (thank God) racing in NASCAR; we're racing for fun and bragging rights and "I'll get you next year" and we don't want to miss the good things and can't always manage to miss the bad things.

Have fun guys, right down to the wire, and the more, the merrier. Race on.

Dropping two races is one thing......dropping two no-shows is entirely something different....

+1 i bet the guys who raced everyrace have also had to make decisions between racing or doing something else that nite but they chose to race... hey if its an emergency so be it but dont punish the rest of the racers who make them all....jmo

I really don't know what side of the fence I am on with this... I say that because I had an issue that was out of my controll and had to miss a race regarding my transmission. I worked with the guy repairing the old trans till 7pm trying to get the trans together enough to race but was unable to because of certain issues.. I still made my way to the track to support it. I had been under the impression from the first drivers meeting this year that we could drop any two races in the event you couldnt make it for any reason (family emergency's to planned vacations as Mr. Knudtson put it in the opening night drivers meeting). If they decide to change it to affect only lowering lowest two races you showed up it would kind of be bad for me. Had I known that was going to happen I would have tried to, at the very least, find a front runner to make one lap in like Janel did a few weeks back. Am I happy about missing that race, no I wasnt, but it was out of my hands. To try to change the rule later in the season isnt going to make it better and isnt right either for those of us that do try but are unable to make it which is how/why this rule came about...

Think Rebel had it right too. There should be a caveat to that rule but I know several tracks/series uses the drop x amount of races but they should be there or have a reasonable excuse not to be to drop those nights. Why would it be fair for a guy that just decides not to go a few weeks while everyone else is out there, especially a guy that may be ahead of the other driver that stayed home and still lose. Maybe give bonus points to the guys that do show up every week to offset the dropped points. The way I see it, the guys that are there every week get to drop their two worse point nights too so the rule in itself doesn't really affect anything. Theoretically a guy that shows up everyweek and breaks twice has the same amount of opportunity as the guys that miss two events to gain points. But again, adding a few bonus points for the people that show up every week could remedy the no-shows taking an advantage over the other guys.

We elected to allow dropping of the two worst finishes to support our drivers, to keep them in the title chase even if they have a couple of bad nights, to keep the car counts up during the last rces of the season because everyone will still be in the hunt and out there racing to put on a show for the fans.

And we did it to allow for those great-uncle Smedley, T-Ball, high school playoffs, weddings you can't miss and so on nights nearly all racers have at some point in their careers.

If we were racing NASCAR, you'd blow off Uncle Smedley, T-ball and the like, but we aren't (thank God) racing in NASCAR; we're racing for fun and bragging rights and "I'll get you next year" and we don't want to miss the good things and can't always manage to miss the bad things.

Have fun guys, right down to the wire, and the more, the merrier. Race on.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT IT IS FOR FUN SO WHY NOT JUST DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO RACE OR UNCLE SMEDLEY'S PARTy AND LIVE WITH THE END RESULT.

A competitive racer should want to WIN it on the track.

Man I missed a lot of Races due to Tee-Ball and Softball schedule with my kids I guess I still have a chance at a Championship. Need to start making it every week!!!!! :blink:

Your in first Randy, Go ahead and take a few more weeks off. Hey! you want to go fish'en or maybe lets just hang out and drink a few beers? Aw hell , just remembered Iam haven a mole taken off my ass. Sorry! :(

what i dont understand is , who cares if someone thinks they are good enough to no show 2 weeks and win the ship. by doing that they are stuck with any and all bad finishes they have. and by "saving your bullets" and showing up every week you still have insurance when the other guy doesnt anymore. i say this because the season is far from over. so the people complaning are 100% sure of what the future holds and what is in store for them as far as finishes?! me thinks not. if someone has the attitude of " i can miss 2 races and still win the ship" and then he goes and does it ?!? then he damn sure deserves it. i know the point is to not reward someone who supposedly doesnt fully support the track but come on. how are you going to to put a value on someones excuse or lack there of? the rule is in place to make it fair for people who have stuff come up in their lives and every rule will have people who use it to their advantage. by them using the rule , they are only effectively saying they dont need the rule in the first place, and will have a great finish every week and win the ship. maybe if it was 5 drops like some other tracks it would be different, but to me if someone wants to go race somewhere else twice a season cause they thin they "can" then thats fine. that essentially means they never did need the rule in the first place. i guess to me it seems like if you abuse the rule youre only making it harder on yourself to win the title, so if you do, you must be doing something better than everyone else. JMO

Archived