Racing at TWS

Blue Moon Motorsports

I just got done reading the post by REBELRACER about TWS. I just had a thought....Wouldn't it be cool to have our own version of the Daytona 500? Have HMP and Thunderhill combine classes and get TSRS, The Pro Trucks and Pro Modifieds from both locations together and have either a massive season opener or season finale! I wonder if Mary Ann and the folks at HMP would consider that?

I just got done reading the post by REBELRACER about TWS. I just had a thought....Wouldn't it be cool to have our own version of the Daytona 500? Have HMP and Thunderhill combine classes and get TSRS, The Pro Trucks and Pro Modifieds from both locations together and have either a massive season opener or season finale! I wonder if Mary Ann and the folks at HMP would consider that?

Dont forget about the limited/sportmods and the prosedans....lol

On the road coarse would be cool.....lol

Of coure we wouldn't leave out the limited/sportmods and the prosedans!!!! LOL!!! The road course would be cool....BUT....the 2 mile Superspeedway would be incredible. You could limit speeds by a restrictor plate or rear end gears but for those who have never raced on a Superspeedway it would be the race of a lifetime!

The big oval is two miles.

That really doesn't matter but what does is the condition of the track. I imagine it would take mega bucks to make it race-able again. Not enough money in one race to do that! No spectator accomadations and even then would it draw a crowd. Last races Arca, Winston West didn't come close to selling out ( as I describe what I saw but stand to be corrected). Can't imagine they made any money. How would that look with local talent and classes running there.

On the brighter side

Now maybe with the testing ban, someone with that cash (RCR, Hendrick, Roush) would come fix it up so they could test, huh?

According to NASCAR.Com, the severe bumps in turns 3 and 4 that made it unsuitable for high speed racing have been shaved and the asphalt on the entire track reconditioned. Supposedly it is ready for Cup testing. I corrected my earlier post about the length of the track....must've been fantasizing about Daytona!!!! :rolleyes:

I bet J.C or Nick would know the answer to that question. I don't think these cars / trucks would do well on the 2 mile but maybe the smaller track would be plenty for what we want to do.

I believe the inside 1.5 oval is flat or real close to flat. No significant banking. That would be a challenge.

TROC-type events are logistically possible at TWS, but a major - and I mean MAJOR - sponsor would have to step up.

And there are a couple of pretty good reasons why such a sponsor would be hard to obtain.

1) Spectators would have to be limited to the infield area since the grandstands are no longer usable. Zero eyes in the grandstands usually means zero chance of landing a major sponsor unless they just do it just for the love of the sport...

2) No TV coverage.

And if anyone is even remotely thinking that our current local tracks are in such great financial shape that they can afford to:

1) lease the track for three or four days

2) pay the size purse that would be required to draw a decent field

3) cover the astronomical insurance premiums that be imposed for such a high-speed event with inexperienced teams with untested equipment

4) pay the cost of medical, fire and safety crews

5) compensate a large number of race officials, corner workers and admin support

6) pay the hotel and food costs that they would incur

then I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you..

I, for one, loved the Upchurch-run events at TWS and just the thought of resurrecting the "good old days" quickens my pulse. And I know there are others who feel the same. But I'm afraid the reality is that those days are long gone...

Nick

But I'm afraid the reality is that those days are long gone...

You speak the truth for sure. The day dreaming of running the high banks of TWS runs through my head daily, but for me and any of you others; it will remain just day dreaming. For those of you that haven't been to TWS in the last 5 years, you need to pay a visit. The new owners have done some decent renovations to the infield. Oval Turns 3 and 4 are in poor shape and appear from a distance to be sinking more. The stands (as Nick stated) are junk, the press/official tower appears to have every window knocked out of it, the lighting, electric and mechanical portions of the infield are still in 1980's condition. Heck, most rigs wont fit through the tunnel anymore. Two years ago we had to come through the back gates onto the flat track portion of 3/4 to get our rig into the pits. The facility just can't measure up to racing like it used too. Perhaps multiple organizations could come together for a road race shoot out, but the big oval is done.

TWS will probably never see a 190 mph car go around its banks, but its worth coming and turning laps at a HPDE (high performance drivers ed) event, Drivers Edge or any SCCA/NASA assortment. Heck even our karts turn 110-120 mph across the front, which is still a kick in the pants. The positive fact is: the track STILL SUPPORTS racing, racing events and the fun of going fast. Unlike most tracks that "tank" after going through parrells like TWS has, this track still sticks around. I'll still go twice a year (and watch it rain at 3pm everyday), sit through the 110 degree afternoon's in my fire suit, just so a place like TWS doesn't die.

Hope ya'll do the same.

Hmmm....Weeelll....Nick, I have an account managed by Bernie Madoff that I'll trade you for the property!!!! LOL!! This is a thread I started that was about wishing and hoping...I realize that is is not feasable at the moment but you know, if enough people get interested and behind something, things have a funny way of coming together. In a perfect world, the local tracks would shoulder the cost...BUT....maybe if there was enough interest, entry fees and such would help defray the costs. We all love to bench race and this is certainly an opportunity to do so. Who knows, set it up for Oct. 2011 and raise the weekly entry fees by $25 a car and put it in a fund to cover the cost. But in the mean time, let's have fun dreaming about what could be!!!

You know the old saying....WHERE THERE IS A WILL...THERE IS A WAY.

FWIW, never say never. The people that currently own it are roadracers that invested into it so when someone is willing to pay the price to build houses that direction they make money. However, they also want to keep it as an operating track and it is profitable for them as a rental facility. As for the superspeedway, Brendan Gaughn always would come test here after Atlanta, before TMS, on the superspeedway. Yes, the stands are condemned but if someone wanted to host a TROC type event, I think it would fly but it would be a large undertaking as you would have to bring in temp stands for the infield and race on the roadcourse. I don't believe no one has contacted him about the track much less its condition as it is a twin to Michigan. Most likely, they are just waiting to cash in!

from college station, I'm out

turbo

You wouldn't have the race to make money. You would have the race so that everyone could experience racing at that size of track. Call the track, get pricing, insurance pricing, etc. Divide it by the number racers planning to attend, and make it reasonable for everyone to have that racing experience. Sell prepaid pit passes, entry fees, etc, and have the event paid for before ever showing up. That's how it's done. You can throw making money at an event like that out of your mind, it's not going to happen. After all, most true racers are not driving for the money. Yes it takes money to run these race teams, but for the chance to run one race, on a track like that, i would think everyone would be willing to forget about the purse for once.

If you think that you can put an event together with as many classes as you are mentioning, you should look into leasing TMS, much nicer facility, professional staff, garages, etc, etc.

It's been done before. And if I remember correctly, the cost was around $150 per team, plus pit passes.

You wouldn't have the race to make money. You would have the race so that everyone could experience racing at that size of track. Call the track, get pricing, insurance pricing, etc. Divide it by the number racers planning to attend, and make it reasonable for everyone to have that racing experience. Sell prepaid pit passes, entry fees, etc, and have the event paid for before ever showing up. That's how it's done. You can throw making money at an event like that out of your mind, it's not going to happen. After all, most true racers are not driving for the money. Yes it takes money to run these race teams, but for the chance to run one race, on a track like that, i would think everyone would be willing to forget about the purse for once.

If you think that you can put an event together with as many classes as you are mentioning, you should look into leasing TMS, much nicer facility, professional staff, garages, etc, etc.

It's been done before. And if I remember correctly, the cost was around $150 per team, plus pit passes.

You da man, Jon! Where do I sign up?

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
:huh: Don't forget about the Grand Stocks I'll bet the El Camino (REAL RACE CAR) could realy turn some fast laps on that track and if Mary Ann would let me run some of those tires like on the pretty cars I would be realy fast I mite even run with the pretty cars.That is if we get the new and improved El Camino built we are starting on it this weekend. :rolleyes::lol::P

Archived