The LAST Craftsman Truck Champion in crowned

weirracing

2008 will be the last time Craftsman will be the sponsor for the Nascar Trucks... I can't think of a better man to hold the LAST Craftsman Truck Champion title...

JOHNNY BENSON

He took it to the last lap..

Now THAT is what racing is all about!!

Can't wait to see what Busch and Cup do this weekend... Sorry, I can't call it Nationwide...and I don't have to!

Kathie Weir

couldn't have been a better champion. true class act.

what other series are their? it won't be long,,,,,,,,,nascar will have to 'fix' the truck series. but who could blame them? just look at how well they have helped the higher divisions. the nationwide won by somebody that could not win the sprint cup,, and the sprint cup won by a guy that could not even get out his own way when he raced in nationwide.

LMAO with Wier and Crazy.....yep and no damned "chase" format either......

Johnny Benson was just starting as a rookie/newbie in Super Late Models, before joining ASA following in his dad's footsteps, when I moved south.....He's come a long way since those days....ASA, BGN and now CTS Champion......Through all of that he still remains humble to his beginnings, I've never heard him whine and he takes resposibility for his actions on and off track.....All those years hanging around with Mark Martin, Alan Kulwicki, Joe Shear, Bob Sennecker, etc. show in his demeanor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Benson

Can you believe the guy doesn't have a ride for 2009???????

Rebel...Oh my...EVERY name you listed.. THOSE men are true to the bone!! I love racing and i'll still be watching if we, ourselves, aren't at the track. There will always be those "little people" who sneak up and bite the Mega-million monsters in the butt! THAT is what this sport is all about. Money can't buy talent...persistance, blood, sweat and tears earn you the "talented" title. And only few are in that category. Sure money and sponsors and silent partner backing helps..but if you can't drive...none of that means squat! That is why my heart and SO many others...will always remain true to the short tracks of our hometowns... Good people, good fun and GREAT racing!!!

I talked to a friend of mine in Charlotte. He said that Bill Davis is only going to have one truck next year because of sponsorship. He said that Skinner is the only one signed up next year for BDR. BDR wont have a Cup car next year.

I've also heard that Benson doesn't want to race next year and wants to spend more time with the family which is why he hasnt signed up to race at BDR.

All in all that was a heck of race. For Hornady to go from 13th to what 7th in a matter of 10 laps. To only loose the championship by 7 points. Man that was rough.

It,s a shame but if you can,t bring a mil or two to the table you are not going to break into that elete bunch of teams, yes there are driver devolopemet programs but you have to bring a lot with that when you come. the days of driving your way too a big name ride are over, unless you impress someone who can pull some strings, its not right it,s just that way

Truck racing is the best racing out there. I harkens back to the run what ya brung roots of NASCAR. These guys want to WIN not points race. The Truck Series is the best racing for your money of the top three and no silly Chase. I used to hop NASCAR would promote it and make it bigger and draw larger crowds, but after watching the debacles as they "tuned up" the other series, my wish is that they leave alone.

Congratulations to Johnny Benson. He deserves it!

When you add what happened to Benson and Hornaday at Phoenix last week, and the way this one came down at the end, to me it was the best nascar points battle I have seen since Kulwicki/Elliot in 1992.

Congrats to Benson, one of the nicer guys in the nascar garage.

i could not stay away from the tv ..that was the first time in three years or more i had chills running down my spine ..one hell of a race near the end ..could not have happend to a better driver ..ron drove a heck of a race .... nascar needs to go back to real racen like they have done with the trucks ........

Truck series....interesting all year.

Sportsman series(Nationwide)...interesting all year.

Grand national series(Sprint Cup)...interesting for the first 4 events of the chase.

Let the whole season be the chase for the Cup.

BTW...with the new testing rules....the teams missing the chase are using the last ten events as test dates.Now every team will make sure they have at least one car on the track that isn't in the chase.This means alot more expense for everyone...just think about all the aspects of it.Imagine 31 cars in and out of the garage every ten to twenty laps to change springs etc....too funny.

LMAO with Wier and Crazy.....yep and no damned "chase" format either......

Johnny Benson was just starting as a rookie/newbie in Super Late Models, before joining ASA following in his dad's footsteps, when I moved south.....He's come a long way since those days....ASA, BGN and now CTS Champion......Through all of that he still remains humble to his beginnings, I've never heard him whine and he takes resposibility for his actions on and off track.....All those years hanging around with Mark Martin, Alan Kulwicki, Joe Shear, Bob Sennecker, etc. show in his demeanor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Benson

Can you believe the guy doesn't have a ride for 2009???????

Jay, you brought back many good memories just mentioning those ASA greats. How about Harold Fair and Dick Trickle just to throw in a couple more. What a list of heavy hitters that series had back then. Even Junior Hanley showed up once in awhile to make it more exciting. Believe me, that is about all I miss about the north though.

I watched Johnny Benson's father race many times and talked to him on a few occasions. I believe Jr. was just a youngster then but his dad was sure a good guy too.

Butch Miller,Mike Eddy,Ted Musgrave,Kevin Cywinski,Rich Bickle....

Dick Gregory out of Columbus, OH was not too shabby either. Ken Stouffer never was a big name with ASA but he was always there and running well and the most noticable thing about every car he ever ran was there was not one single sponsor name on it. He ran out of his own pocket.

While talking about the Midwest racing scene, anyone recall the Malcuitt brothers, Brad and Mark. Both were good on dirt and asphalt plus built great racing engines.

Archived