Does this surprise anyone?

ratdaddy

Just checked.. still up 15% over last year.

I was refering to Exxon Mobil stock being down 3.3% today. If your fund has made 15% in the last year then great. That is what capitalisim is all about! You made 17 times what other Exxon share holders did! You also made 50% more than Exxon as a corporation did!

Exxon's stock numbers

Last 12 months July 31,2007/83.60 -July 31, 2008/84.38 + .09% 12 m

Year to date Jan 01, 2008/91.22 -July 31,2008/ 84.38 -7.5% YTD

Just be greatfull that Exxon is doing well. They paid more in taxes last year than they had profits. That is fact. They have helped this country a whole lot.

when they give millions of dallors to ceo.s as a bonus .. i find it hard to feel sorry for them ..

jumbo

Exxon (and the rest) are hurting so bad

click here

Oldtimer

when they give millions of dallors to ceo.s as a bonus .. i find it hard to feel sorry for them ..

I don’t feel sorry for them and no one said they were hurting but it sure seems easy to rip Exxon for making an 8.46% margin. That’s kinda like being mad at the guy in the next office who makes more than you without ever considering why. Many people look at 11.7b and says “that’s too much!”

I asked this question on TXSZ before and don’t ever remember getting any replies. For all those who have decided 8.46% of whatever number is too much, what IS a reasonable profit margin? Then after you answer that, tell me who should decide?

I don’t like paying $4.79 gallon for diesel and $4.00 for unleaded anymore than the next guy. I do think all this anger may be misdirected though.

BTW I refuse to buy from Citgo as well. Not even a drink or snack if the store has Citgo Gas.

I'd much rather give it to them than that sorry #%$@ from Vanezulea and Citgo

i dont buy at citgo ..

Not to hijack the thread (well, maybe a little) - if you buy Mystik oil or grease from your local parts store, you are buying Citgo and Venezuela. Check the packaging.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

whitey . ....when a company makes a profit .thats ok with me .but when its off the back bone of every working person that is haveing a very hard time paying bills and not getting to eat cuz of fuel cost ..and then that company turns around and pays some ceo millions of bonuses in which he or they .... most probably didnt do a damn thing to deserve it .... i cant feel sorry for them ...i didnt hear one ceo say hey ..im rich ill just pass this down to help out those poor poeple ...can someone prove that one ceo took his money and helped someone besides himself .if so ill eat all my words ..

so you dont want to buy something that is imported or the profit goes out of the country. So what exactly does that leave. Hell, Harley Davidson isnt even all American made anymore. Maybe hotdogs, matches, them indestructible dog toys... :D

..im rich ill just pass this down to help out those poor poeple ...can someone prove that one ceo took his money and helped someone besides himself .if so ill eat all my words ..

Can you prove that any of the "CEO'S" haven't helped anyone besides himself, or his family, community, city, church, little league, and so on.

It's not the oil companies fault

it is the current govt. policies and politicians in congress and the senate.

BTW who elected nancy pilosy to be the "save the world" sherrif?

I'll probably have this post deleted because it is a political discussion, but nick, i think it is relevant to the current discussion here.

Hey OT,

This may not be what you are looking for but here it is.

buffett

I’m not trying to nit-pick but being the Chief Executive Officer of Exxon, a Multi Billion dollar corporation, is not exactly doing nothing. The very fact that a company that large can even maintain a margin all the while being labeled by the govt and the public practically as the antichrist is pretty amazing.

You know how much they give back doesn’t always mean a whole lot. Anyone remember Ken Lay? He gave a lot. Not the standard bearer for integrity I would say.

I believe if people are giving to charity for all to see they are doing it with the wrong motivation anyhow. If we are truly giving with pure motives, only to help, then it should be done without announcing it for everyone to see. (That is not my idea it comes from a book I read.)

It all boils down to this. There are bad people that do bad things in all walks of life. Some are bums on the street and some are CEOs of major corporations. A whole lot of them are sitting/ standing next to us day by day. Sometimes, I even find one in my bathroom in the morning......in the mirror.

Archived