Media denied access to cover race at Thunderhill Raceway

MikeHaag

I think there are few misconceptions that I hope to be able to straighten out.

1) When I applied for credentials it was for both JM Hallas and myself. We did not apply separately. Since I was out of town for this event last year, I had no idea I needed to go through the credentialing process until Jay sent me an email telling me to get off my butt and get him credentialed. Otherwise, I had no idea that I needed to go through a formal, written credentialing process.

2) I did not apply to NASCAR for credentials. We had to apply to Full Throttle Productions. Throughout the credentialing process I saw nothing whatsoever that had the NASCAR logo or name on it. Likewise, it was Tavo who informed me and Reb via email that he had approved our credentials. Maybe Tavo was just following NASCAR orders, but this was not the NASCAR credentialing process I have been through many times before.

3) The fact is that Full Throttle Productions does not need local "free media" like TXSZ, Express-News blogs and San Antonio-based radio shows to fill the stands. This event does just fine without us untrained, less-than-professional, poor excuses for media types.

And I do want to apologize to Reb for not paying him. I don't get paid either and my wife says I can find somewhere else to sleep if I start using the grocery money to pay for Reb's haircuts, etc... lol

Also, if anyone has a real issue with the way this site is moderated, please take it up with me in person rather than complaining about it on here. I listen to and respond to any and all complaints I get, but I refuse to get into a pissing contest of this issue on here.

Thanks for listening.

Nick

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I HAVE READ ALL THIS AND MY HEAD IS HURTING OR MY EYES ARE TIRED. ONE OR THE OTHER ..BUT LOOKS LIKE COMUNICATION BREAK DOWN ...DONT BLAIME THUNDER HILL IN THIS ..THE TRACK DOES NOT NEED THIS .. NO TRACK NEEDS THIS ...FULL THROTLE SHOULD HAVE COULD HAVE SENT ALL MEDIA OUTLETS AN EMAIL PRYER TO THIS RACE ..IT OBVIOUS DIDNT HAPPEN ... MAYBE ALL WILL LEARN FROM THIS .... HEY WE RAN AT OUR LOCAL TRACK TO TRY AND GET OUR CAR UP TO SPEED FOR THE NEXT WEEKS TPS RACE AT KYLE ..COME ON OUT AND SEE IF WE DID ...LOL ..GOOD THING IS WE ONLY BROKE SECOND GEAR AND NOTHING ELSE ..WALA . BREAKING A GEAR WAS ALOT MORE FUN THAN TRYING TOGET THIS CAR FASTER ...FIRST TIMER ON BREAKING A TRANS AFTER 23 PLUS YEARS OF HANDS ON RACEN ..NOW THATS NEWS ....COME ON MEDIA PRINT THAT ..LOL ...ANYWAY LIVE AND LEARN ...

After reading this and thinking it over a little (after considering what I initially wrote without hitting "add reply) - I agree with what KISS says above....

THe race could have been covered - fork over the money and go talk to management, or try to recoup it through the company you work for...

An opportunity to cover the event as a normal paying fan was missed - was it worth the money to you? what did other fans think?

There's a story there...

What about getting the FULL STORY from the other side (management) before putting it on the board???

There are several policies with the NASCAR race that I don't like...but they are the rules. I had a scanner at the race and caught the track frequency - I heard several conversations where there were concessions made for people. Fact is, people try to sneak in by saying they are associated with a driver/car, or be pretending to be someone they are not.

Also, it's not like this event just fell from the sky - it's been scheduled for months. Was an inquiry made regarding media policies before the event?

It sounds like mistakes were made on both sides - but hash it out between yourselves....this type of coverage hurts the sport more than no coverage at all in my opinion.

Pay money to go to work!!!! :blink: Give me a break!!!!!

Landlord, we pay money to go to work everyday in the form of transportation and food....and a lot of people I know pay their own way with work related items (supplies for students, eating at a fancier place than per diem allows, etc).

That said - I know it's not the way it should have been....I was standing at the pit gate hoping to get a pit pass before it was open to the public when two gentlemen walked up saying they were with a team...they weren't on a list, they weren't allowed in. Somebody else walked up claiming to be with the media (no, not a big paper or tv station), they weren't allowed in....the rules are the rules.

To say they were DENIED ACCESS TO COVER the race is misleading, he was not denied access to the grounds. What was denied was the media pass. It sounds like the individual could have gotten into the race out of his own pocket and the race could have been covered...and the financial details could have been worked out...that's all I was saying. We're talking about $30.00 - I'm sure it could have been worked out...heck I ran into a couple people in the parking lot trying to unload a few extra tickets for $20.

Remember when ESPN was "locked out" of the NASCAR events? they covered the races from parking lots across the street...when there is a will, there is a way.

I think there are few misconceptions that I hope to be able to straighten out.

1) When I applied for credentials it was for both JM Hallas and myself. We did not apply separately. Since I was out of town for this event last year, I had no idea I needed to go through the credentialing process until Jay sent me an email telling me to get off my butt and get him credentialed. Otherwise, I had no idea that I needed to go through a formal, written credentialing process.

2) I did not apply to NASCAR for credentials. We had to apply to Full Throttle Productions. Throughout the credentialing process I saw nothing whatsoever that had the NASCAR logo or name on it. Likewise, it was Tavo who informed me and Reb via email that he had approved our credentials. Maybe Tavo was just following NASCAR orders, but this was not the NASCAR credentialing process I have been through many times before.

3) The fact is that Full Throttle Productions does not need local "free media" like TXSZ, Express-News blogs and San Antonio-based radio shows to fill the stands. This event does just fine without us untrained, less-than-professional, poor excuses for media types.

And I do want to apologize to Reb for not paying him. I don't get paid either and my wife says I can find somewhere else to sleep if I start using the grocery money to pay for Reb's haircuts, etc... lol

Also, if anyone has a real issue with the way this site is moderated, please take it up with me in person rather than complaining about it on here. I listen to and respond to any and all complaints I get, but I refuse to get into a pissing contest of this issue on here.

Thanks for listening.

Nick

Thanks Nick - How did you know to apply to full-throttle when others apparently didn't get the word...

I'm sorry - I just hate this - I love the sport, and the negativity surrounding it is part of what's killing it off...

I'm sorry - I just hate this - I love the sport, and the negativity surrounding it is part of what's killing it off...

Most people who post on here are really trying to help. And most are very passionate about the sport and feel what they are doing is really helping, not hurting, the sport. Oh, there's a few who just get on here to cause trouble, but I try to deal with those folks as we go along.

The trouble is that one man's "trying to help" is another's "bash of the day." Racing folks are very opinionated and take offense when someone comes along with another point of view. In this case, we have one group who are dead set on defending the track/Full Throttle Productions/NASCAR and another who are upset that local media types weren't given the OK to cover the event without arranging for credentials ahead of time.

There's not going to be a winner/loser in this discussion because both sides are right. It just depends on what point of view you take.

But I will say this. Promoting a race track or a racing series or a stand-alone racing event is a whole lot easier from the grandstands or watching on TV than promoting from behind a checkbook.

It's true that some local media types who had put a lot of time, effort and money into promoting the Full Throttle Production event were not able to cover the event. But it's also true that it was Full Throttle's event and they have every right to run it the way they feel will benefit their organization - even if it involved pissing off some of us local media types.

Nick

. Oh, there's a few who just get on here to cause trouble, but I try to deal with those folks as we go along. .

Nick

Say it aint so :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry Nick, you are correct and I owe you an apology. I do still think that it may have been better handled by him contacting Tavo in private and not blogging about him.

My comment on pulling the thread was in no way ment to attack you or challenge how you do your job on here...

Mark

Say it aint so

Yep. It's true... and, Jody Wayne, you're on the top of the list! LOL

My comment on pulling the thread was in no way ment to attack you or challenge how you do your job on here...

Mark

Now you tell me... LOL..

We're all coming from the same place. 'Specially you and me and a few others like us have something in common.

Actually it's all Mike Haag's fault. I mean it's all Tavo's fault.. wait, I mean it's all my fault! Who's on first?

Nick

I understand why they could not get credentials.The only thing I am trying to convey is that the media should have been let in and that they should not have to pay out of their on pocket.(Has anyone checked the price of radio or newspaper advertising lately)A $30.00 general admission ticket is a smokin deal I can promise.This is fact and not a bash!!!!!!I do love racing (all types) as much or MORE than anyone and DO NOT want to see anything happen to the few asphalt tracks that we have left.This guy was obviously upset or he would not have made the post.My hope is that he gets over it and keeps covering local races at THR!!!!!!

I understand why they could not get credentials.The only thing I am trying to convey is that the media should have been let in and that they should not have to pay out of their on pocket.(Has anyone checked the price of radio or newspaper advertising lately)A $30.00 general admission ticket is a smokin deal I can promise.This is fact and not a bash!!!!!!I do love racing (all types) as much or MORE than anyone and DO NOT want to see anything happen to the few asphalt tracks that we have left.This guy was obviously upset or he would not have made the post.My hope is that he gets over it and keeps covering local races at THR!!!!!!

I agree with you landlord - and with even more time to think about it - I'll back off of my statement that he could have paid out of his own pocket. He shouldn't have had to do that....

It seems there were assumptions made on both sides. The two that stand out to me are

1) It's on the website for all to see (Full Throttle)

2) I can get a media pass the day before the event (Some local media)

I just hope everybody can take a little something from it and make next year even better...

AND BRING BACK USAC!!!!

I understand and hear everyone's comments, views and frustrations on this issue.

My point was not to bash Full Throttle Productions or Thunderhill Raceway. I was simply letting my readers know why the San Antonio Express-News was not going to cover the NASCAR West Series race at Thunderhill Raceway. The reason why I posted on Texas Speed Zone.com is because I often post links to my stories on this site for the TXSZ readers to see. I often share and allow this site to use my stories on this site and we have a lot of crossover readers.

We can argue all day, but I stand firm on the fact that I was never notified about the media policy for the 2008 race, as is protocol. Again, I assumed that I could simply show up and get in to cover the races at Thunderhill Raceway, just like I have done so every time that I have visited the track since it opened about 10 years ago.

As far as credentials go, I do have special credentials that have been issued to me by the San Antonio Express-News. It's an official Express-News media/press pass and all sports writers at the paper have one of these passes. I am required to bring it with me to all media events that I cover and I am required to present it at the gate. I also have a special Thunderhill Raceway media pass that was given to me by the track management at Thunderhill Raceway. I was told by THR officials to show this too. This is what I use when I get in each time that I visit Thunderhill Raceway. Again, in 10 years, I have never had a problem getting in to cover at a race at Thunderhill Raceway.

When I was hired at the San Antonio Express-News in 1987, I was instructed by my editors at the San Antonio Express-News to never pay admission for an event that I cover for the paper. That is our policy and I am expected to follow that policy.

I agree with many of the Texas Speed Zone.com members who have posted messages in the past two days. This was unfortunate incident and I hope we can all avoid such instances in the future. The San Antonio Express-News and Thunderhill Raceway have a great working relationship and I expect that to continue.

I am looking forward to covering future races at Thunderhill Raceway.

Mike Haag

You mean after all this, you guys still do not know how to get into the pits through the secret tunnel! WOW!

tfr612ix4.gif

e021.gif

duck.gif

bolt.gif

How about the people who pay the big bucks to advertise in the Express News. The next time we are negotiating ad rates in the sports section, we probably need to bring that up that your boss is too cheap to shell out $30 bucks to make sure the biggest race of the year is covered in your sports section, until a administative issue is worked out. They charge thousands of dollars for a tiny ad in the sports section. Did the San Antonio paper have anything about the race in the sports section? Sorry for the mixup, you missed one heck of a show. Great job by Full Throttle and THR.

To all concerned:

This thread was brought to my attention late yesterday. I only read the first 5 posts on the first page and obviously the last (you have to, to be able to reply), so I have no idea as to whether I and Full Throttle are getting bashed or supported...and whatever it is, is actually irrelevent. I am here to state the facts and there is nothing that will change our position, we have not done anything wrong.

Thunder Hill Raceway should not be held resposible for any hard feelings by anyone who supports Mike Haag's position. The Allstate Racefest is a Full Throttle Productions event and THR did not do anything wrong, but neither did we.

The procedures for Racefest Media Credentials has never changed. It has been the same since 2005.

For 2008 we received media credential requests from the following: Austin American Statesman, NBC Austin, ABC Austin, FOX Austin, CBS Austin, Time Warner Austin, Circle Track Magazine, National Speed Sport News, Stock Car Racing Magazine, Late Model Digest, RacingWest, Texas Speed Zone, KLBJ Austin, MIX 94.7 Austin, Clear Channel Austin, K-MAC Austin, Round Rock Leader, Pflugerville Flag, Daily Texan, Oak Hill Gazette, Victoria Advocate, West Austin News, Westlake Picayune, NASCAR.com, Speed TV, HDnet, San Marcos Daily Record, Hill Country News, Wilson County News, Hondo Anvil Herald, Smithville Times, Bastrop Advertiser and Taylor Daily Press.

All submitted media credential requests and all were granted. We are fortunate that the 5 networks in Austin all ran 2 pieces each over a four day period and that the Austin American Statesman ran 3 articles in a five day period. I point that out only for the fact to demonstrate that Racefest has never been just a local event. We thought that was obvious from the beginning in 2005, with the media coverage, national sponsors and large crowds. However, we have greatly valued the small community media coverage as well and have treated them as equals to national outlets.

What is confusing and disturbing is that Mike Haag was not denied a Media Credential for Racefest 2008. To this very minute, neither Aryn (my partner) nor I have heard from Mike Haag at all in 2008. Not by email, not by phone call, not by media credential request...nothing. That is actually a very relevent point, considering Mike choose a public forum to vent his frustration.

The only time I was informed of anything about Mike Haag was Saturday late afternoon over the radio, while in a meeting with The Secretary Of State, The State Comptroller, NASCAR and television production crews. As anyone who has been involved with events, there is not even one minute that is not completely slammed busy. That is the very reason there are procedures and systems in place. My response very quickly over the radio was, that if he was on the media list to grant him access, if not don't. We do not have time to deal with any surprises, but I can assure you that had Mike called me or paid for a ticket...come over to us personally, he would have been taken care of. I truly don't understand where the disconnect is.

Most importantly, this is not something that Mike is unaware of, or perhaps he has forgotten. I say this because I have next to me at this very moment, Mike's 2007 Media Credential Request form that he submitted and was granted for Racefest last year.

We actually have a good relationship with the San Antonio Express News and the irony is that I communicated with Rich Oliver and he was bummed he was going to miss Racefest because he (Oliver) had to cover the Spurs/Suns game that night for the Express News.

Allstate has 2 motorsports events in the country. Besides Racefest, the only event they have in auto racing is the Brickyard 400. NASCAR has never been happier, Allstate as well and we know from other regional motorsports events around the country that we are providing great value for the money for Central Texans.

We don't pretend to be special, all we do is bust our rears 7 months out of the year to provide a great family motorsports event for our fans.

We think Mike has been and will continue to be a great asset to short track racing in Texas. We hope he submits a media credential in 2009 for Racefest or at least reaches out directly to us, so we can make sure he is not denied any credential he is rightly entitled to.

Thank you,

Tavo (CT) Hellmund

Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Jeez, Tavo. Stop confusing us with the facts, will ya? We had a pretty good pissing contest going here 'till you stepped in....LOL

And thanks for all the hard work that you and Ayrn put in to bring Central/South Texas one of the biggest racing shows of the year!

I've known Mike for many years and worked along side him for several of those years. He's a good guy and does a lot for racing. I'm sure he'll be one of the first to put in for media credentials next time...

Nick

Will CT's response be run in the paper? ;) Without dredging it all up again, it was the "Denied Access" part that bothered me (and I believe others). If it had read "Communication Breakdown Prevents San Antonio Express News Coverage" it would have been more appropriate....tell the whole story, and let the people decide...

Mr Hellmund - Saturday was a great show - thanks for bringing NASCAR to Thunderhill and I hope the USAC deal can be worked out for next year as well.

Mr Haag- I do read your articles with interest - keep up the good work.

I'm out!

Let me see if I can get my 2 cents in. Many don't know this, but i spent years as a Daily News Photographer. I covered NASCAR for 7 years at TMS and I knew I had to get credentials early. I also covered the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo for more than 10 years. Each year I turned in my credentials like I was told to. A few Years ago, I did the same, showed up to cover the event, with my credentials, and was told that I did not submit my credentials for photography, therefore I was not allowed on the floor. My credential actually said, Photographer, on it, but since I did not request Photographer credentials, I was not able to go on the floor. But I was told to go to the Press Club and have a few drinks. the next year, I requested photo credentials, got to the event, and they told me that I needed to request photo credentials for each performance(the rodeo is 3 weeks long). Again, no access. The next year, I did exactly as the said, and when I got there, they said only national media was allowed. At this time, I was pissed. Especially after I looked down there and saw a weekly hispanic newspaper guy with a point and shoot camera taking pictures. I went into the media directors office, and basically told her that she has forgotten that it is the local media's coverage that helped build this rodeo to what it is, and that she was disrespecting all the media and all the readers of the media by doing what they were doing. I have not requested credentials for that paper in 4 years, and that paper no longer covers the event. It covers its local people and does stories about them and takes pictures of them preparing for the event, but rarely at the event.

Moral of the story. When you have media access on a regular basis at facility like Thunder Hill, you do take for granted that you will have that access. It is the Media Director's responsability at the track to say, Hey, we are not controlling this race, you need to call whomever to get credentials. Also, as a promoter, Full Throttle should have made consessions. I under stand the Mike's newspaper is just a tiny paper, its not like it is a Daily Paper for a large city, but it should have made some consessions to keep the paper covering local racing. It is hard to get and to keep local media happy. I applaud Mike for his work, even though I am in Houston and don't read it, any local racing coverage is a plus!!!

Arthur Hermiz

Arthur,

One small correction. Mike's newspaper is the San Antonio Express-News, the only major daily in San Antonio since the San Antonio Light closed a decade, or more, ago.

Nick

It is the Media Director's responsability at the track to say, Hey, we are not controlling this race, you need to call whomever to get credentials.

I've been reading all of these posts in this thread for the past couple of days, and quite frankly, the whole situation is very disturbing.

First of all, I'd like to address Mike and Dawn. Both of you have been extremely supportive of local racing for a long time, and I hope I've never take you for granted. You're always welcome at Thunderhill Raceway, and I truly appreciate all of your support. I think we've had a great working relationship so far, and I hope it will continue in the future.

I am, however, disappointed that this situation has gotten so much attention on TSZ. Some of the comments, like the quote above, address neglect on (my) our part. I don't agree with the comment, but it's real easy to point fingers in this type of situation. I had no way of knowing of who had applied, or who had been approved (or denied), for credentials for this race. The requests went directly to Full Throttle. It was my first Racefest event, but I understand Mike had attended all of the previous Racefest events.

If either of the media folks had asked earlier, I would have been more than willing to find out what needed to be done and would have helped to expedite the requests, if necessary. However, I got the e-mail from Dawn requesting credentials for her and her family and Mike Haag at 10:58 a.m. on the day of the race. I also got a phone call on the day of the race, but I don't remember the time. I returned the phone call to Dawn, answered the e-mail and also spoke personally with Mike. And, believe me, I was extremely busy all day, but I did take the time to try to fix the situation.

I wish this situation would have been confronted privately among the parties involved, but what's done is done.

Tavo, I appreciate your taking the time to explain the role of Full Throttle in this situation. I know that strict rules were in place for this event, and I understood our need to enforce them.

My sincere thanks goes out to all of you who understood our (THR's) role in this matter. Again, I hope we can put this situation behind us and all learn from it.

However, I got the e-mail from Dawn requesting credentials for her and her family and Mike Haag at 10:58 a.m. on the day of the race.

emphasis mine

Thats asking a bit much, personally....

this was an unfortunate incident for everyone involved. Personally the last thing needed for anyone is texas racing being shown in bad light.

I'm curious where most of the fans for this event come from though. I had forgotten it was this weekend cept for the discussion on here.

However, I got the e-mail from Dawn requesting credentials for her and her family and Mike Haag at 10:58 a.m. on the day of the race.

emphasis mine

Thats asking a bit much, personally....

this was an unfortunate incident for everyone involved. Personally the last thing needed for anyone is texas racing being shown in bad light.

I'm curious where most of the fans for this event come from though. I had forgotten it was this weekend cept for the discussion on here.

My family, was my oldest son, who I would have paid for if asked, but NEVER have been in the past and that includes with Debbie at SAS. That was it. My other son was sick at home with my Husband. I am over this situation. Trust me, there are two sides to this story and I am not gonna keep going back and forth with it. I will say this though, I was scheduled to work the Spurs game and I got out of it to go see this race. By the way, I did not have credentials yet for the playoffs for the Spurs/Suns game and all I was gonna have to do is go down to the AT&T and get credentialed. That is what I will be doing on Tuesday. For a FREAKING NBA PLAY-OFF GAME it is no problem for last minute requests.

Again, my situation is a bit different then Mike's. I had NO prior knowledge of the credential process until Debbie called me back. I was sent NOTHING!!! Mike did not go out there and try to talk to anyone because he was told if no credential, no get in, and he was not gonna drive from Floresville to Kyle then. As far as no contact though, I know this to not be true since Mike reached out for our show to promote the event, and NEVER was called or emailed back on it. But again it has been pointed out a couple of times, THIS event does not need LOCAL media coverage, and I guess it really does not need SAN ANTONIO media coverage since there was not ANY.

I understand the SA media may not always be willing to cover, but two of its own were and did not get to.

Arthur,

One small correction. Mike's newspaper is the San Antonio Express-News, the only major daily in San Antonio since the San Antonio Light closed a decade, or more, ago.

Nick

Nick,

That's about the same time of the closing of the Houston Post, leaving only one major Houston newspaper, the Chronicle, which is not locally owned. The very best, if not all, local race coverage for a long time was the Post. Hopefully this issue is resolved, it needs to be.

Archived