Media denied access to cover race at Thunderhill Raceway

MikeHaag

There has been a media Info link on the texasracefest.com site the entire time....

Stated on that link below:

Media Credentials

We are now accepting media credential requests for the 2008 Allstate Texas Racefest. We welcome journalists from accredited media outlets of all kinds, however we require an application be submitted by all journalists in order to ensure a comfortable working environment for everyone.

To apply for media credentials, please fill out the credential application form posted below in its entirety.

Along with the completed credential form, please include a brief letter from an editor/news director/producer/publisher on your organization’s letterhead that lists the name and function (photographer, writer, etc) of each individual that the publication is requesting credentials for.

Credential applications will not be accepted by freelance writers or photographers. If you are a freelancer, please provide a letter from the editor/news director/producer/publisher of the news outlet that hired you.

Photos will not be required.

Click here to download the credential application (PDF)

Mail Media Credentials To:

Full Throttle Productions

P.O. Box 301084

Austin, TX 78703

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kiss Racing.. Point noted. I do not mind if someone takes my post off it that is what is right. At the same time, I have read this board for years now and have seen enough bitching and moaning by many about LACK OF MEDIA COVERAGE and WHY DOES THE LOCAL MEDIA NOT HELP OUT?

Well, you have some who are trying here in San Antonio and fighting EVERYDAY to sell the fact that LOCALS do care about RACING and it is JUST AS MUCH a part of this CITY as the Spurs, or Missions, Or Rampage or Silver Stars. Again, it was a miscommunication, but I would say most in here would tell you the day you start charging MEDIA to come to an event and cover it for you and give you FREE pub, is the day you better close your doors and head for the Hills. That is JUST WRONG and I would say that this area and track, as much as I love it and get it, could use ALL of the FREE media and PUB it can get these days.

Again in regards to the website, one most KNOW about the website first in order to go to it... I just knew this event was being held at THR...all the info I knew. Also, I found out about this process about 4 hours before the event in my case. You have to download the form and MAIL IT BACK. Would not have done me much good.

Just because you don't know the rules, doesn't mean they shouldn't apply you you. Maybe Haag shoulda looked a little deeper into what needed to be done to get the credentials. No, not maybe he should have. Maybe he should have made plans maybe a day or two in advance?? Can't always use a name like "THE SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS NEWS" to push your way through rules. They shouldn't have made an "exception" to the rule. The fact that other media outlets got in proves that point. Bitterman.

Since I dont recall using anyones name I dont feel a need to respond specifically. My point is as Jody mentioned, you play by the set rules. I show up to a Busch race in Phoenix, I'm to be on said Teams credential list. I'm not on the list, I'm out $300 dollars airfare, $150 rental car, $300 hotel and I'm standing in the NASCAR credentials trailer asking what can I do? I pay $300 for a Cold Pass that should have BEEN FREE and I take it up PRIVATELY with my friend who owns the team. And yes I do it with respect and a smile.

I don't disagree that we as racers and car owners need the media. What we dont need for the sake of any sport is for media people to get on a forum and blast a group for not being able to get in to an event.

Damage done, now let's see if there is a retraction... Oh and by the way, with position comes accountability.

Dawn, in the begining of my(so called) writing career I paid for EVERYTHING.....ticket, gas, hotel, food!!!!! So NO ONE is special!!!!!!! I still foot most of the bill......TXSZ doesnt pay me since Terry pretty much gave it to Nick. I did get paid a few bucks when USRA/SAS were still alive and the only thing I get now is fron Greg Dinsmore(not the track) to cover I-37 Raceway..........

I've done this for years and years, losing money every year, because of my love/passion for the sport......NOT because I expect any special favors........ or to become rich from it!!!!!!!!

True I may not fit the mold of a mainstream, media member....but you know what......I can CALL/CONTACT any track in Texas and surrounding states, talk with the promoter and be welcomed with open arms, given access, etc. Because they all know I PUT FORTH the effort.....NOT expecting them to just give it to me because I work for a REAL newspaper or have a radio talk show.

Sorry I'm a little cranky this morning.......didn't mean to go off on you....jus wanted to let you know where I've come from.......

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that the race tracks and the racers do need and respect the media. I'm sure Tavo isn't happy that the process wasn't followed and lost that coverage. Very much needed coverage. But the avenue taken to spin it in a negative manner was definately bullshit.

Thanks Dawn for all you do. ECH baby.

You too Reb, You rock hippy.

Thank you to all for the comments, and I am sorry that any of it took place. I do believe talking about it is a good thing.

Dude, I know all too well about being out. There are plenty here who can tell you I get NOTHING for what I do with my show. Unless I am contracted to do COMMERCIALS, I get NADA for TRACK SMACK. I do it as a paid program. I have to go out and find sponsorships. I had to get help two seasons ago from sponsors to help off set my cost on T-Shirts to use as GIVE-AWAYS. I pay ALL OF MY COST to do the shows at TMS or other places and one other note, I have to use VACATION DAYS in order to be off.

I love it though and do it because I love it. I have no problem paying for something. Again, lesson learned and every place is different. You are right about one thing though, the way you treat people and the things you do for them in the past can help or hurt you in the future and that can be a two way street.

I do not like the fact that some are mad that Mike posted, yet then they take shots at him. That man has done more for the local racing community then most, especially in San Antonio. One of the nicest most genuine people you will ever meet. Mike YOU ROCK, my friend!!!

JODY...YOU still kill me Man...ECH baby!!! :)

Sometimes the free advertising that is offered by major market outlets (ESPN-1250 and SA Express News) is overlooked. TXSZ is a great outlet for peer-to-peer info, and the small town monthly newsletters are great also.

I guess procedures are procedures.

I am glad the race was a success; I will have to hear second hand about the details instead getting the skinny from newsprint or radio.

Texas asphalt racing needs media,the media does not need Texas asphalt racing period!!!!!Go ahead and make them mad by blaming them for a stupid oversight and see how excited they get to come cover the next local race.

What racing as a whole needs is to stay on the positive side of things...

I'll say it one more time, people expect racers to go at each other. What people dont expect is for the media to post a negative of one persons issues. TQ's number is everywhere and I'll be the first to publically apologize since some on here are to good to. I'm betting that Mr. Haag has TQ's contact information.

Dawn,

I have yet to include you since I have spoken to TQ today and know you two have spoken.If you ever can't get in touch with TQ, please feel free to contact me. Again, I talk to him several times a week and woiuld be glad to forward any question or calls...

Thank you to all for the comments, and I am sorry that any of it took place. I do believe talking about it is a good thing.

Dude, I know all too well about being out. There are plenty here who can tell you I get NOTHING for what I do with my show. Unless I am contracted to do COMMERCIALS, I get NADA for TRACK SMACK. I do it as a paid program. I have to go out and find sponsorships. I had to get help two seasons ago from sponsors to help off set my cost on T-Shirts to use as GIVE-AWAYS. I pay ALL OF MY COST to do the shows at TMS or other places and one other note, I have to use VACATION DAYS in order to be off.

I love it though and do it because I love it. I have no problem paying for something. Again, lesson learned and every place is different. You are right about one thing though, the way you treat people and the things you do for them in the past can help or hurt you in the future and that can be a two way street.

I do not like the fact that some are mad that Mike posted, yet then they take shots at him. That man has done more for the local racing community then most, especially in San Antonio. One of the nicest most genuine people you will ever meet. Mike YOU ROCK, my friend!!!

Dawn,some people will never understand until they have no place to race.Then the media will still get the blame because of the lack of coverage.The San Antonio news and your radio station get the message out to thousands of people and is a great source of "FREE" coverage.If people can't see that not letting these two local outlets cover this race was a big mistake than they are kidding themselves.I wonder how many of you guys would work for free as some of these media people are.

After reading this and thinking it over a little (after considering what I initially wrote without hitting "add reply) - I agree with what KISS says above....

THe race could have been covered - fork over the money and go talk to management, or try to recoup it through the company you work for...

An opportunity to cover the event as a normal paying fan was missed - was it worth the money to you? what did other fans think?

There's a story there...

What about getting the FULL STORY from the other side (management) before putting it on the board???

There are several policies with the NASCAR race that I don't like...but they are the rules. I had a scanner at the race and caught the track frequency - I heard several conversations where there were concessions made for people. Fact is, people try to sneak in by saying they are associated with a driver/car, or be pretending to be someone they are not.

Also, it's not like this event just fell from the sky - it's been scheduled for months. Was an inquiry made regarding media policies before the event?

It sounds like mistakes were made on both sides - but hash it out between yourselves....this type of coverage hurts the sport more than no coverage at all in my opinion.

Dawn,some people will never understand until they have no place to race.Then the media will still get the blame because of the lack of coverage.The San Antonio news and your radio station get the message out to thousands of people and is a great source of "FREE" coverage.If people can't see that not letting these two local outlets cover this race was a big mistake than they are kidding themselves.I wonder how many of you guys would work for free as some of these media people are.

Again my friend from "Hick"toria as they like to call it knew about it and had her form sent in. I'm amazed that she knew and big city columnists didn't?

People will always blame others for their shortcoming or lack of places to do things like racing cars. We oval track, dirt track, kart, drag race, open road race, road race, do the flyin mile, do car shows, demo cross and other things to support racing.

Thank you to Tavo, Aryn, TQ, Mary Ann, Debbie and all the folks who put this event on. Hopefully '09 race wiill be even better!

After reading this and thinking it over a little (after considering what I initially wrote without hitting "add reply) - I agree with what KISS says above....

THe race could have been covered - fork over the money and go talk to management, or try to recoup it through the company you work for...

An opportunity to cover the event as a normal paying fan was missed - was it worth the money to you? what did other fans think?

There's a story there...

What about getting the FULL STORY from the other side (management) before putting it on the board???

There are several policies with the NASCAR race that I don't like...but they are the rules. I had a scanner at the race and caught the track frequency - I heard several conversations where there were concessions made for people. Fact is, people try to sneak in by saying they are associated with a driver/car, or be pretending to be someone they are not.

Also, it's not like this event just fell from the sky - it's been scheduled for months. Was an inquiry made regarding media policies before the event?

It sounds like mistakes were made on both sides - but hash it out between yourselves....this type of coverage hurts the sport more than no coverage at all in my opinion.

Pay money to go to work!!!! :blink: Give me a break!!!!!

landlord.......SAY WHAT????? How does track closure have to do with the media???? Since I'm not SURE who you are, I'll assume you really don't have a dog in this fight to begin with and are just choosing a side to be arguementitive????

Poor promoting, low car count, low fan count, legal issues are the main causes for track closures......NOT lack of coverag by the media. In fact some of the most properous track get little to no media exposure....do you ever see anything(excluding what I can ge a hold of) from Devils Bowl?????

Point being.....if I showed at ESPN radio should I EXPECT to get air time? If I sent a story to the SA Disgrace-News should I EXPECT to have it published?????? Hell I know the answers.......I've sent crap to the paper for years and years.......ever see any of it?????? Face it local auto racing small potatoes to them.....now boxing, fishing, gymnastics, tennis, etc......all rank above us.

Do you think is really going to HELP get more exposure????

Nick and I applied for credentials last month......it's the way NA$CAR expects it to be done.....PERIOD!!!!

I consider Mike a good friend, but proper procedures weren't followed.......you can't blame THR, Full Throttle or NA$CAR for that. I'm sorry he didn't get to make it. He and I tag-teamed the IHRA show and Pinks All Shows quite well together. What he didn't get, I did and vice-versa. Now I have yet to read his blog on the issue, but using this forum was probably not in ANYONE'S best interest as Chuck, Mark and Aaron have already brought up.

Here is a question. My friend receives emails letting her know events are coming up. As part of signing up and filling out what forms are needed there is usually a section for their email address and contact info. Also, it asks do you want a reminder email, do you want to hear about future events including next years events. Does anyone know if Tavo sends PR info out by email.

If I were a writer I would take time to find out what is in my area and find out what interest there is from people. If I cover an event and enjoy it, I'm going to do everything possible to make sure I'm informed of future events and make sure I can get in.

BTW, I never said they should do their job for free. I said they could have paid to get in and talked to Tavo or Aryn about getting reimbursed. Sounds like some feeling were hurt and maybe rightfully so. Point is and will be there was a work around.

landlord.......SAY WHAT????? How does track closure have to do with the media???? Since I'm not SURE who you are, I'll assume you really don't have a dog in this fight to begin with and are just choosing a side to be arguementitive????

Poor promoting, low car count, low fan count, legal issues are the main causes for track closures......NOT lack of coverag by the media. In fact some of the most properous track get little to no media exposure....do you ever see anything(excluding what I can ge a hold of) from Devils Bowl?????

Point being.....if I showed at ESPN radio should I EXPECT to get air time? If I sent a story to the SA Disgrace-News should I EXPECT to have it published?????? Hell I know the answers.......I've sent crap to the paper for years and years.......ever see any of it?????? Face it local auto racing small potatoes to them.....now boxing, fishing, gymnastics, tennis, etc......all rank above us.

Do you think is really going to HELP get more exposure????

Nick and I applied for credentials last month......it's the way NA$CAR expects it to be done.....PERIOD!!!!

I consider Mike a good friend, but proper procedures weren't followed.......you can't blame THR, Full Throttle or NA$CAR for that. I'm sorry he didn't get to make it. He and I tag-teamed the IHRA show and Pinks All Shows quite well together. What he didn't get, I did and vice-versa. Now I have yet to read his blog on the issue, but using this forum was probably not in ANYONE'S best interest as Chuck, Mark and Aaron have already brought up.

Mar 29 2007, 05:09 PM Post #1

Reb,their are other post that talk about the lack of media support for SAS and the fact that it did not help the situation.You guys can make all the excuses you want as to why they were not let in last night,but the bottom line is they should have been at least allowed in the track as a spectator by THR!!!!!

Champion

he

Group: Admin

Member No.: 29

I've been buried under media stuff since 9:00 p.m. last night. I've had almost every radio and TV station contact me for interviews, live coverage, etc. It's somewhat ironic that I've almost begged for media coverage for the past four years and couldn't seem to get the attention we deserved.

Some of the media outlets, e.g., KTSA radio, WOAI-TV, FOX-TV, Mike Haag's mysa.com blog, had really stepped up their media efforts at SAS this past year, but I can't say the same for the rest. Off camera, I've questioned the media as to "why now and not before?" Most of them don't have any actual video footage to use - had to supply videos through Maverick Video, our ad production company.

I watched the coverage on KSAT-TV (Channel 12) last night. They reported our story pretty accurately, but I don't know when the video was shot (nothing recent judging by the race cars). FOX-TV (Channel 29) came out and shot a story for tonight's 9P news. And KENS-TV (Channel 5) was out here earlier today and is returning at 6P for live coverage.

It's too bad it took something so drastice to capture their attention. I guess I'm just venting at this point.

I'll assume you really don't have a dog in this fight to begin with and are just choosing a side to be arguementitive????

Check any post the guy/gal has ever made. It's the same thing. :lol: . I love it. Keeps any negative post at the top for days and days. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll assume you really don't have a dog in this fight to begin with and are just choosing a side to be arguementitive????

Check any post the guy/gal has ever made. It's the same thing. :lol: . I love it. Keeps any negative post at the top for days and days. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well if you want to call taking up for the local media that the tracks need badly as being negative then I am guilty as charged.By the way I am a guy that loves racing as much as anyone and if you ever want to talk to me as some on here have PM me and we can talk man to man.

I for one would like to see this thread pulled. To me it is a bash and doesnt need to go any further! If it was about a driver it would have been edited and or deleted for content. I saw J. there spoke with him for at least 30-45 minutes. J. thanks for your coverage at ALL the events you cover. Great Job! Since when does being media give someone the right to get on a forum and bash a group for not giving them entrance for FREE to an event. Pay $30 like most people and go to them in PRIVATE to see if they will return your money. It's bad enough when we bash each other, but worse when people use their media to make their issues public. Go to Tavo!

(on edit) My friend from the Victoria Advocate had her information sent in and had credentials waiting. Due to some personal issues she wasn't able to make it. I know TQ was busy most of last week and I'm not making excuses, but he returns every phone call I ever make to him.

I agree. This issue needs to be taken up with NASCAR and not here on TXSZ since apparently some want to turn it into a bashing and even implying that THR had some sayso in the matter. NASCAR is like USAC, when they run a show, they run a show. They demand full control or you just won't see them. That simple. I enjoyed all of the racing last night and there were not a lot of yellows like someone said. And this morning I viewed a great video of the latter part of the TSRS race and from what I gather the person taking the video did not have any credentials either. My point being is that since there was this credentials snafu why did they just not pay the admission, get a good viewing point, video if they had a camera, and write their stories. Then they could have taken up the credentials issue with NASCAR afterwards. Sure hate to see mud thrown on what otherwise was a geally great show.

Well if you want to call taking up for the local media that the tracks need badly as being negative then I am guilty as charged.

......and I'm what........chopped liver???????

That's ok......used to being treated as a second class citizen by some.....yet when it comes down to it.....who gets asked constantly to come cover a local show, who gets bombarded by track results/releases that get passed along here. Now that's funny SHIT!!!!!

Well if you want to call taking up for the local media that the tracks need badly as being negative then I am guilty as charged.

......and I'm what........chopped liver???????

That's ok......used to being treated as a second class citizen by some.....yet when it comes down to it.....who gets asked constantly to come cover a local show, who gets bombarded by track results/releases that get passed along here. Now that's funny SHIT!!!!!

I don't get it!!!!I am taking up for you guys and your profession and saying that you all should be allowed in a local race and your blasting me.

Well if you want to call taking up for the local media that the tracks need badly as being negative then I am guilty as charged.By the way I am a guy that loves racing as much as anyone and if you ever want to talk to me as some on here have PM me and we can talk man to man.

Never said taking up for the media was negative. Only that you love to argue. Check your PMs.

Never said taking up for the media was negative. Only that you love to argue. Check your PMs.

I did not get a PM,but you are right about one thing, if I believe in something I will argue the case. :D:D

Archived