Media denied access to cover race at Thunderhill Raceway

MikeHaag

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About two weeks before the event I sent an email to the info@texasracefest.com address requesting information about the event and to inform Full Throttle Productions that I wanted to cover the event. I never got a reply. I sent another email last week, because I wanted to help Dawn get Tavo to come on the show and again, I never got a reply. Full Throttle Productions must have not gotten my emails.

Also, I never received any of the emails or press releases about the event until just a few days before the race when TQ Jones sent me a press release. I had already written my column and therefore I didn't use much of his news release.

On the day of the race when I was told by Debbie Williams that I could not attend, I did attempt to contact Tavo at Thunderhill Raceway, but I was unsuccessful. Since I didn't have Tavo's personal number or a current email address, I didn't know how to get in touch with him. Also, since there were no contact numbers on the race's web site, the only number that I had was the number at Thunderhill Raceway. When I called, I got a recording. I never could get a live person on the phone.

Since I live about 95 miles from the track, I could not afford or justify driving to Thunderhill Raceway for nothing. The Express-News does not pay for my mileage. Once again, the media does not pay admission to cover events.

As far as filling out a request in 2007, I don't remember doing so, but if Tavo says that I did, then I guess that I did complete one in 2007. I'm not arguing that point. Often the Express-News handles these requests for me and right now, I don't remember submitting one in 2007. I've attend more than 75-100 sporting events since last year's race and some of them are not related to motorsports. I do cover other events and sports for the paper from time to time.

Again, since I had covered the event in 2007 and walked in the gate without any problems and was not really even questioned by the gateworker, I figured that it wasn't going to be a problem getting in this year. Now that I know Tavo's procedure, I will make sure that I will complete the paperwork in a timely manner.

Once again, I was given a Thunderhill Raceway Media pass by the track manangment and told to use it anytime that I attend races at Thunderhill Raceway. I've used it in the past and have done so for about 10 years. Between my THR Media pass and my Express-News press pass, that was what I was going to use to get into the event. In 10 years of covering the races, I've never had a problem getting in at THR.

I hope you all will understand that there was a communication breakdown on many levels and hopefully we all (including myself) can work to do a better job next time. I hope we can put this issue at rest and move on.

Again, I look forward to covering future races at Thunderhill Raceway and hopefully if Tavo's race is held at Thunderhill Raceway in 2009, I hope that I will be able to cover the race.

Mike Haag

This one could go on forever, but I think everyone has had their say...

Case closed.

Nick

Well, almost closed....

I recieved this from Tavo a few minutes ago and at his specific request, I am posting it here:

Nick

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have asked Nick to post this because I had not seen Mike or Dawn’s post to my fact statement, and felt it was inaccurate for it to be left with the impression that either of these two respected media members was denied access. Again, no one was denied!

I am actually more confused now than I was before as to why Mike and Dawn have had a problem. No media credential request was denied to any media outlet that requested one. All the media outlets that I listed in my previous post are not complaining because they were not denied. Mike and Dawn could not be denied something they did not ask for.

There are a couple of key points that again Mike and now Dawn have chosen a public forum to address, which is not only unfair to Full Throttle but also completely unprofessional. Mike states that he sent e-mails to info @texasracefest.com twice without a response. I don’t doubt him and believe him completely. However, we receive about 400 e-mails a day, everyday starting a month out and lasting until 2 weeks after the event…so it’s very likely it was sent and not seen. The interesting thing about Mike pointing it out twice in his post, is how he could have missed the “media information” button since it’s the link (maybe an 1/8th of an inch) above where he got the e-mail from where he submitted his credential request last year. He would have been taken care of immediately as he was last year.

To state that he “could not attend” or that we would prevent him from attending is crazy. We have, and would always welcome him attending so I am confused as to why we would want to do that…and/or how we could stop him from attending, unless he posed a threat to our event or a fan or a participant according to Texas law. That of course was not the case and same for Dawn.

Next point, although we are blessed that the Central Texas media covers our event extensively and we get some national coverage, we naturally welcome and try to receive south Texas coverage as well. I spoke directly to the Express News on several occasions and we have gotten some coverage from them in years past. This year, because the Statesman was covering our event so extensively, we knew it would be unlikely to have major coverage in SA. But to say, that we don’t want SA coverage is incorrect and as a matter of fact, 2 of the TV stations did short pieces in March on this year’s event. Additionally, we had TV spots on every Cup race in SA and bought KAJA radio. Whether Mike covers the event separately has always been welcomed but we have always dealt directly with the Express News.

Although this event was held at Thunder Hill, it was not a local event and never has been. How a veteran media person would think that because you have media credentials for a local track that that would apply to Racefest is unbelievable. I guess if George Strait rented Thunder Hill for a concert, we should all be able to get in. Racefest may not be a big deal in terms of a national scale or a Cup event but it is the only place in Texas other than TMS to have a NASCAR event…with national live TV and many national sponsors, and is the biggest asphalt short track event in the southwest.

As for Dawn, I did not realize she was on this inaccurate bandwagon also. I have spoken to Dawn once in my life. That was last year when she called to make sure we had received her faxed in media credential request for the 2007 Allstate Texas Racefest…, which of course she was granted. Dawn, I realize that you are new at this but my family has been promoting world class events (FIFA World Cup, Formula – 1 Grand Prix’s, Indy Car, Winston Cup etc…) for 50 years, and if you have promoters (other than local tracks) that call you to see if you want media credentials…then wow…you have some MONSTER stroke. I have friends at SI, both Times (LA and NY) and many others who would love to know how in 30 years they don’t get that kind of treatment. Since you mention the Spurs playoff games, kudos to you because we’ve known the Holt family for years and you must have a ton of pull to just be able to show up. We all love having access at TMS. Even after knowing the Frances, the Smith’s and Eddie and Kenton for years, we still have to apply for passes. Again, if you don’t…you should be proud of yourself because I would say that maybe only 5 people in the world could pull that off.

Again, I only have wanted to state the facts and will repeat my original post. Neither of these two individuals was denied anything, they did not apply. Both were aware of the procedures, as they had applied and were granted credentials last year. Both would have been approved again had they applied this year. But I will not tolerate two people who are supposed to be professional media members go on a public forum and either lie/whine/or cast Full Throttle in bad light for something that we had no part.

Thank you,

Tavo (CT) Hellmund

Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Archived