Toyota area Rezoning Reversed

Lonesome Ford

Sounds to me like all the drivers and fans who attended SA Speedway need to file a class action lawsuit against the city and that Dickerson needs to also file suit for losing his business because of the zoning. It may not bring SA back, but it will open the eyes of officials around the country that you cannot screw with race tracks like that. If you do, you may suffer the consequences. I am serious about this, it needs to be done. I was put out of business for 10 weeks because a developer did this to my track, he has left the area, his home all torn down due to code violations, and the track is still shut down.

The fact remains, however, that Lillian Reeh owns the property that the track sits on. If the track met city code, it might be worth it to re-lease the place, but it will take a major investment in infrastructure to bring it into compliance. Frankly, nobody is going to invest lots of money in property they don't own.

However, perhaps Ms Reeh will be more willing to sell the property now that it's not worth nearly as much as it was before the zoning fiasco. I know that Mr. Dickerson made several legitimate offers to purchase the property and was turned down each time.

Somebody with very deep pockets and a need for a huge tax write-off needs to step up. Know anyone?

Nick

The SA Express News had a huge article about it yesterday. I meant to post a link, but I haven't found the time to look it up on line yet.

Now the Millers are involved, as in Bill Miller - a big corporate player in SA. They're very upset about this zoning mess because they also own a chunk of land in the area. They feel the landowners are being penalized for a deal that the city council made with Toyota. They want to sell their land to the city for a big park, or whatever the city can do with it. The article certainly was interesrting.

And the foreigner who bought the land near SAS for $1M for a housing development has filed a lawsuit because he was assured the zoning change would be no problem.

What a mess!

Maybe Lillian can find someone who wants some farm land with a speedway sitting in the middle of it. Heck, they can dig up the asphalt in the pits and put in a great big garden or maybe a field of corn. And, we all know the water doesn't drain out too well in the pit area. So, if there's a flood, maybe she can plug it up somehow and stock it with fish!

The question is how much jurisdiction does SA have over the area. By being inside San Antonio's ETJ, the city has some control but not as much as it would if the area was annexed as part of the city. Once the area is annexed (the only way they can legally enforce any zoning), the city codes are in force no matter what the zoning is. I'll assume the city council decision only changed the zoning from commercial to agricultural, it did not "de-annex" the area. That will put it right back to where it was, too many expensive upgrades for property you don't own.

I guess the zoning change would add some incentive for Lillian Reeh to offer a competitive lease agreement since the land is pretty worthless for anything else..

but it will take a major investment in infrastructure to bring it into compliance. Frankly, nobody is going to invest lots of money in property they don't own.

Does anyone know what kind of investment it would take to get the track up to code? I thought it was somehwere near 80K or something? I just heard that number, I dunno if its true. Now that the land owner's property is worth what it SHOULD be worth (a dirt field and some asphalt) perhaps they are dissapointed enough to dump it. Investors always have their eye on San Antonio, if 1 million snags the whole propery, that really aint that much to ask.

CuttingEdgeRacing,

You're pretty close on the $80K figure, just to get the grandstands up to code. Following the city inspections last year, the $80K-$100K range was our approximate estimate to bring the bathrooms, septic system, etc., up to specifications to get our certificate of occupancy.

But that figure was based on the grandstand area only. We hadn't even been inspected by the city yet in the pit and parking areas. And those areas would probably have also involved some sort of environmental inspections. From what I understand, now there's also been some vandalism, so you'd have to add that cost too. The pavement erosion from weed growth, etc., is yet another issue.

I know that Terry had offered the landowner somewhere around $2.5M for the land. So, yes, I agree she would probably want to jump at that figure now. However, I still think the zoning issue would be really big hurdle, unless the potential owner partnered with the current dissatisfied landowners The city wanted us gone, and I don't think they would ever welcome back racing with open arms, even if someone was able to eventually purchase the land for that purpose.

And, Arthur, although your suggestion is a good one, I wouldn't even know where to start. Terry has taken a back seat in Texas racing over the past few months, and I don't think he'd want to lead the battle.

I'm not a pessimist but, like I said before, this whole situation is really a big mess. I'm not sure who'd be brave enough to tackle it - deep pockets or not.

I knew 2 guys who thought about investing The money to get it back to code and only wanted to be a part of a race track in return. Strictly for the love of racing, they knew they wouldnt see a return, but this was when all the negitivity was goin on( j and s fiasco and a mayor) and everyone including me just said the heck with it.

If the property under the track was privately owned for the purpose of racing and the facilty was up to code, how could the city shut it down?

You said the magic words "up to code". Getting it to that point would take a bundle of cash and remember there is still a property owner to deal with. I don't think the city of SA ordered SAS to be closed, rather they listed the improvements that needed to be made and that was enough to close it. I believe the zoning had nothing to do with it closing :( but it would have closed in a couple years anyhow when all the residents of those proposed new homes started to complain about the noise and traffic on race nights. :(

what a mess... i agree , it would take a strong will to tackle this one. Bill Miller gettin involved kinda scares me , just look what they did (right or wrong is not the point) to there barnacle bills chain.

as i sit here gettin ready to head out to THR, i just kinda feel numb about the whole thing. i cant deal with this right now <_<

what a mess... i agree , it would take a strong will to tackle this one. Bill Miller gettin involved kinda scares me , just look what they did (right or wrong is not the point) to there barnacle bills chain.

as i sit here gettin ready to head out to THR, i just kinda feel numb about the whole thing. i cant deal with this right now <_<

Ok, I'll bite... What did "They" do to Barnacle Bill's?

Ok, I'll bite... What did "They" do to Barnacle Bill's?

all i know is one day they were open and the next day they were closed, again , its not my name on the front door so it didnt really affect me .

the point was ...stop teasing us!!!!!

The Miller's are in business, as is Red Mc Comb's and numerous other privitely owned/run companies. If you look back over the history of Bill Miller's you will see that their starting pay is well over minimum wage and they are one of the highest paying for starting salaries in San Antonio. The Miller family is not out to (sorry Nick) $crew San Antonio, the saying don't bite the hand that feeds you goes a long way with them.

Ask around about the Barnacle Bill's restraunts, I think you find some interesting things as to what happened...

If there is any truth to another rumor, Alamo Dragway property may be for sale again. As it turns out there is not a need for warehousing in that area.... Even talks that the property may be for sale at less than what was paid... Hummmmm!

Archived