longhorn speedway

thrss1

nick... i think you might have hit what i was thinking right on the dot.... in this type of situation a movie comes to mind... "Facing the Giants" aaron has made me watch that countless times and i have taken ALOT from it... and not picking at you at all blur... i have herd many things about THR shutting down, and i dont think people realize how they're putting it.. when they say something like that i know most dont mean it and the turn to the negative nature to express their thoughts... but aaron has been preaching to me over the last 2 weeks (because im having trouble shipping off to the navy, 3lbs too heavy and now im on my last ditch effort to make it in by the 27th of feb) but you cant say quit... i mean, you have to be positive in all aspects of the goal you are trying to accomplish.. whatever the cost... that's all i have to say now...

-Shawn

"Uh, I weigh 160 coach...."

Jay

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A dirt track in south austin would be awesome..... not one within 75 miles.Everytime i drive by the waco track there are tons of racers and spectators, maybe just fluke that its packed when i drive by, but it sure looks like dirt dobbin is alive and well in the waco area..... I bet it would be the same at the ol' Longhorn.JMO

scott stubbs went by yesterday and talked to the guy cleaning up the track he said it was in fact jesse james that owns the track now and they baught another 10 acres for parking and it is going to be completley re done, remain a race tract and is to be repaved. this is pretty close to the source.

After the m-zone show yesterday, I stopped by Longhorn on the way back home.

The first shot is a shot of what was the old food shack and pit office.

post-29-1203905335_thumb.jpg

The next is a shot looking at the spot where Sam Hill used to sell those cool shirts.

post-29-1203905422_thumb.jpg

The last shot is a shot of turn 3 & 4.

post-29-1203905474_thumb.jpg

[pictures resized by debwill]

Without talking to anyone it is easy to see that someone is up to something. You dont cut the grass for the first time in like 3 years and spend the money on bringing in dumpsters just to make the place look better for people on the way to the airport......someone is doing something with the place.

Also by the way, I want to apologize for the pics being so big. I just got a new computer and don'y have all the programs that I had on the old one.

A friend of mine's dad, is good friends with the real estate agent that closed the deal. He told us a story about when Jessy and Sandra wanted to show off there newest endevor to there friends. So he arrived at the track, opened the gates for Jessy, Sandra, there friends, and a catering truck. He stood by the gate as the couple showed off there newest investment... Right befor the catering truck was setup, and ready to serve, Jessy walks all the way around the track, and ask him why he was just standing there. The guy said I was just waiting for yall to get finished. Jessy says to him I dont want you waiting, at that point the agent thought oh man, then Jessy turns and says you should come over and eat with us... And another thing I heard for all you stright liners there my be a

strip going up on part of the 10 acres.

That one one of thoae racetracks where watching practice was fun.

yap!

as much as i love the track for the memories it gave me,,,,,,,we need to remember we already have a track that needs our support. we can't support one let alone two.

all the people that made longhorn what it was,,,,,,,are now either operating or racing at THR.

Click this link--

Longhorn

The location is the corner of HWY 183 and FM 812 in Southeast Austin. South of the airport.

To see a more detailed pic, go to :

Maps

and scroll to the location above. Select "birdseye".

You can also type in "Pilot Knob, Texas" in the search window; It will go directly to the track.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive by the track everyday on my home. Almost everyday, there has been someone out there working. They've torn down a lot of buildings, mowed the grass everywhere, did some work on the bleachers, most of the signs are down that were hanging off the back of the bleachers....haven't seen anyone there in a few days...

Brenda

going to need to replace quite a bit of the wall around it. Looks like a ride at disney land.

I agree with Horse, support your present track. However, if it turns out to be a dirt track and race on fridays, well... anyone got a dirt setup? :D

I grew up going to san antonio, atlas, longhorn and any other track that tida ran at. I remember the pot holes at longhorn and it makes me kinda laugh, heck they were worse then some of the roads in this town. I would love to run there again. I would prefer dirt because there is not one within 100 miles and I think that the cars would show up. Whatever they decide to do if they will finish it dirt or asphalt it would be good to have another track around because now days we never know when we will loose another one. I hope they continue and we will have us a bull ring!

I would prefer dirt because there is not one within 100 miles

Belmead

H.O.T.

I-37

Texas Thunder

Hill Country Raceway

all within a hundred miles. many more just outside of a hundred miles.

dirt or asphalt we don't have the fan base built up , or the cars and car builders of sugnificant numbers to support two tracks. even if one is dirt.

Maybe if someone had invested in a decent set of bleachers at Kyle years ago and got some butts in the seats then people wouldn't be worried about their home track not making it.

Just sayin...

Oh ya, bring on the new (old) Longhorn!

Archived